PDA

View Full Version : Trout Swimmies

allIdoIsfish
08-22-2011, 07:45 PM
Im trying to get a head start on fall tackle. Im looking for a smaller sized trout swimbait, Im not looking to throw big 5"+. Something 4" or less. Anyone have any experiences with brands they like. Any input would be helpful. how are those smaller Castaic's?

sweetfish
08-23-2011, 01:24 PM
I have the 4" castaic trout swimmie. I like the action and had a couple of hits on it at DVL but no hookups as of today. I am still looking to de-virginized this bait. I have the slow sinker and it looks like a real trout swimming. I even tried jerking the swimmy and it looked like an injured trout. I only wished I fished it more and had more patience with the bait.

DarkShadow
08-23-2011, 02:10 PM
The Decoy 5" Hydra Tail is pretty nice.

At 4", i'd rather be getting a bluegill or shad pattern, rather than a trout colored bait though.

bsp
08-23-2011, 02:39 PM
4in baits really aren't going to be showing you the benefit of throwing a swimbait with regards to catching bigger fish. Jerkbaits, crankbaits, spinnerbaits, and normal soft plastics imitate that size forage just as well.

If you are set on using a swimbait though, I'd personally avoid Castiac baits since they are pretty inconsistent with their quality, and there are better baits out there.

Like DS said, at that size you're imitating bluegill and shad (not trout), so stick to patterns that mimic those baitfish. Hudd shads and Mattlures U2 bluegills are good, small baits that imitate those forage fish. A simple 3in or 4in saltwater swimbait (Big Hammer, Pearl, MC) with a 1/4oz or 1/2oz leadhead is a cheaper option and will catch fish too.

Keep in mind with trout swimbaits that the DFG trout that get stocked are 8-10in minimum, and there are plenty of them in the 12in-14in range. Bass will key into the larger baits because that is what they are used to seeing when it comes to trout. Just something to think about if you become more serious about swimbaiting.

allIdoIsfish
08-23-2011, 10:21 PM
Wow guys, thanks for the great replies! i agree with what you guys are saying about the smaller size not being beneficial. I like the mattlure u2 gills, i think im going to get that and prob find a 5-6" hard swimbait. bbz1?

allIdoIsfish
08-23-2011, 10:23 PM
or....What are the nice japanese brands? im down to throw a JDM lure:Idea:

bsp
08-24-2011, 07:45 AM
American swimbaits are by and large the better swimbaits available, and can be bought a lot more easily. A lot of Japanese baits are hard to find and not really worth the major mark up you have to pay to get a decent color. I'd stick with US baits since you are just getting started. The BBZ-1 is a good starter hard bait. Mattlures and Tylures are two other brands that are hand made, catch fish, and are still pretty affordable. I'd personally go with a Tylure's bait since they are hand made, about the same price as the BBZ for the 6in kicker trout, and the guys who make them fish/test the bats on the local lakes (mainly Castaic/Pyramid).

If you want premium hard baits, check out 3:16....

DarkShadow
08-24-2011, 08:08 AM
American swimbaits are by and large the better swimbaits available, and can be bought a lot more easily. A lot of Japanese baits are hard to find and not really worth the major mark up you have to pay to get a decent color. I'd stick with US baits since you are just getting started. The BBZ-1 is a good starter hard bait. Mattlures and Tylures are two other brands that are hand made, catch fish, and are still pretty affordable. I'd personally go with a Tylure's bait since they are hand made, about the same price as the BBZ for the 6in kicker trout, and the guys who make them fish/test the bats on the local lakes (mainly Castaic/Pyramid).

If you want premium hard baits, check out 3:16....

What he said about the JDM stuff.

Except for the Jackall tho:

http://img.tacklewarehouse.com/new_product/JCG25-GB-1.jpg