PDA

View Full Version : third time is a charm...

JPETERMAN
08-22-2011, 07:44 PM
not for me!

saturday was my third attempt at catching a halibut and still no dice!
anybody know of a hali honey hole? i only know of one and so far ive had no luck.
if anybody out there is kind and trusting enough to share a spot please pm me.

thanks!

J.P

smokehound
08-22-2011, 09:36 PM
not for me!

saturday was my third attempt at catching a halibut and still no dice!
anybody know of a hali honey hole? i only know of one and so far ive had no luck.
if anybody out there is kind and trusting enough to share a spot please pm me.

thanks!

J.PThe surf. That's your best bet, IMO. Look for "calm" areas in the surf. Waves weaken over holes. That's the best way I can put it in writing. It's fairly obvious.

They love nice big trenches, which behave similarly.

Alot of the fun is in discovering your own holes. :ROFL:

(seriously, though)

Conditions change throughout the day whether harbor or surf. Be alert to changes, like water clarity, current, bottom substrate, baitfish/crustaceans, etc. Take advantage of the situation. Brown Big hammers with orange/red bellies work great because they mimic bay blennies, extremely common fish in our our harbors.

http://nathistoc.bio.uci.edu/Fish/DSC_0456b.jpg

JPETERMAN
08-22-2011, 10:32 PM
smoke,
thanks for the reply and great tips.
so far ive had the pleasure of exploring "holes" in the south bay and malibu. :)
when exploring a hole, how much time do you spend working it before moving to the next? ......... not those kind of holes gentlemen!

JP

murrieta angler
08-23-2011, 06:08 PM
JP,
Try the beach at Belmont Shores Bro.
Use a dropshot rig, with a white zoom fluke and enjoy.
Robert
<><

JPETERMAN
08-23-2011, 07:17 PM
Hey Robert,
Thanks for the tip. I haven't had the chance to try out drop shotting flukes. I jumped ahead of my game and got on th LC bandwagon. My mind is set on hooking my first hali on an LC haha.
Belmont Shores is definitely on my list of places to try out.

JP