PDA

View Full Version : Runnin and Gunnin with Khanh 8/21/11

fishinone
08-22-2011, 11:43 AM
Khanh and I went out Sunday evening to see what's going on at
Castaic.

We tried trolling while looking for boils from 4:00 to 5:00 for absolutely no action. Well we saw a few individual splashes but no boils and no bites. We stopped and tried bait n wait on some promising marks. There were plenty of fish around but no takers.

At 5:30 we went looking for boils. We worked our way down the fish arm from Elizabeth Canyon without any action. In the ski arm we talked to Tom and Boran. They were working scattered short boils and picking up some fish. We joined them but couldn't keep up because my motor started acting up as I throttled forward.

Then we got lucky and the fish came to us. We didn't get any on the first pop up but we kept our eyes open and met them on the next spot. I picked one up on my new color KPN Topwater. This KPN Topwater has pink highlights on the sides. I think it says "stressed" to the striper!

We chased that school across the lake with Tom and Boran and a couple other boats.

The boils stopped and the group of boats broke up. We checked out the West Ramp, nothing doing, at least while we were there.

Then we crossed the lake and cruised toward Kong Island running about 15 mph. Long before we got there a boil started right in front of us. I cut the throttle and turned to the left. As we stopped we slid right up next to them so close that we could see the fish.

Khanh cast out did the slide with his KPN. When the lure came out of the boil he reeled hard for a re cast. Three fish followed directly behind his lure in a V pattern. There were two more Vs of fish just under them.

By this time we had slid right past them. The boil was behind us in a line on our wake. My easy cast landed at the far end. I got a hit after the first slide and hooked up. Khanh's cast landed right in the middle of them. I saw his lure pulled down right away. He had two fish on on that cast but both came unbuttoned.

That was it the school sunk out and we had to go. We got the boat on the trailer just in time. The lake closes at 7:30 now.

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq265/fishinone/Runnin%20and%20Gunnin%20with%20Khanh%208-22-11/IMG00773-20110821-1932.jpg
We took time for a picture after we got the boat out.

Thank you for fishing with me Khanh.

I'll try to explain the slide using the KPN Topwater.

Reel slowly while dipping your rod tip down toward the water once every crank of the handle. The lure should pull 8 to 12 inches moving just fast enough to spay a little stream of water. Don't stop reeling but the lure should almost stop, as you bring your rod tip up to prepare for the next slide.

I've seen this technique bring fish up even after the boils have sunk out.

The slide is just one of the methods that works with the KPN Topwater. Be sure to experiment with your retrieve until you get them to hit. Walking the dog is always a good option.

koifish
08-22-2011, 03:06 PM
Nice catch. At least you beat the skunk.

Agro
08-22-2011, 04:17 PM
Right on guys. I was one of the boats chasing boils with you, in the 18 foot tracker. That was alot of fun!

I was there from noon until closing and it was dead all day long until the last hour or so. I found ton of shad in a couple different coves but no predators on them. Wasn't able to net them either because the water was so murky. The lake lice made it impossible and well as made the open water feel like an ocean at times.

yolo
08-22-2011, 05:27 PM
Should have been Runnin and Gunnin with Ron and Khanh. Sounds like the makings of a great cable access show. So is Castaic heating up? Beating the skunk is always good.

SDDave
08-22-2011, 10:36 PM
Good write up! Brave soldiers fishing on the weekends, went out today and torn them up, I guess I'll say it here to all the boil chasers please repect each other out there and give some space to guys allready on the boil, it's not the end of the world if you mIss one, just sitting back and not running around like a maniac chasing the fish down, good things come to those who wait! They will pop back up!

CAPT'N
08-22-2011, 10:48 PM
Amen to to that...................

fishinone
08-23-2011, 06:44 AM
Good write up! Brave soldiers fishing on the weekends, went out today and torn them up, I guess I'll say it here to all the boil chasers please repect each other out there and give some space to guys allready on the boil, it's not the end of the world if you mIss one, just sitting back and not running around like a maniac chasing the fish down, good things come to those who wait! They will pop back up!

Thank you.

I think I saw you there yesterday. I was at the West Ramp for lunch. I thought it was you pulling out of there as I showed up. I was riding along in the parking lot waving out the window of my red Tacoma 4x4.

I didn't see any boils during lunch.

fishinone
08-23-2011, 06:52 AM
Right on guys. I was one of the boats chasing boils with you, in the 18 foot tracker. That was alot of fun!

I was there from noon until closing and it was dead all day long until the last hour or so. I found ton of shad in a couple different coves but no predators on them. Wasn't able to net them either because the water was so murky. The lake lice made it impossible and well as made the open water feel like an ocean at times.

That was a pretty good group out there. Everybody tried to be courteous.

How did you make out?

661fishingfool
08-23-2011, 07:49 AM
If you guys ever have an open spot in the boat one afternoon hit me up I would be down to go. I meet you last year at the west ramp when fishing was good and shad were up.

Agro
08-23-2011, 12:09 PM

Did you get them in the morning or evening? How long did they last?

Agro
08-23-2011, 12:13 PM
That was a pretty good group out there. Everybody tried to be courteous.

How did you make out?

I ended up with 3, one in the ski arm and two in the fish arm. We had a good boil going by kong until the two guys in the bass boat ran them over. I heard you tell them to relax on their approaches... :LOL:

fishinone
08-23-2011, 01:09 PM
Should have been Runnin and Gunnin with Ron and Khanh. Sounds like the makings of a great cable access show. So is Castaic heating up? Beating the skunk is always good.

That's a good idea!

We'll need all new new gear, boat, rods, reels and tackle.

I think I know where to get some KPNs.

TroutOnly
08-23-2011, 01:21 PM
Quit killin them dinks ,kill me something big,,,,lol,,,,,,,,,i want some blood,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

fishinone
08-23-2011, 01:22 PM
I ended up with 3, one in the ski arm and two in the fish arm. We had a good boil going by kong until the two guys in the bass boat ran them over. I heard you tell them to relax on their approaches... :LOL:

I know them.:LOL: They're good guys. They actually did it.

I had cast to some subsurface fish that I could see. They couldn't see them, stopped right on them and almost hit my lure.

They came and found me after close and apologized. It really wasn't necessary. Giving the fish a little room on the later boils said it all.

I think that was that one group of fish that we followed all the way across the lake.

fishinone
08-23-2011, 01:26 PM
Quit killin them dinks ,kill me something big,,,,lol,,,,,,,,,i want some blood,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I just take what I can get.

I've got to get out to San Antonio some time when they're boiling.

yolo
08-23-2011, 10:15 PM
That's a good idea!

We'll need all new new gear, boat, rods, reels and tackle.

I think I know where to get some KPNs.

I can maybe get you a Basstrix tube sponsorship? The minis at the Mid 12 days ago were slamming it like crazy but their mouths were not big enough, lol. I was throwing it for a goof and it would get slammed 3 or 4 times bringing it in. I need to rig it with some treble hooks dangling down instead of the single wide gap belly weighted hook. It was a duct killer in the fall and winter and it sure got their attention on the boils at the Mid too. Try it with the one I gave you when you're at Castaic. Maybe the fish are bigger there and they can eat it?