PDA

View Full Version : Niland fishing?

fishchum
08-22-2011, 09:54 AM
I'm going to be out in NILAND for the dove hunting opening for 2 days.
where can i go to do some fishing there? and am i catching?

thank you in advance.:Envious:

fishchum
08-25-2011, 08:40 AM
seriously? there been 40+ viewer and no one has any comments or recommendation?
come on guys, i don't care what we catch, turtle, catfish, anything...

yolo
08-25-2011, 09:36 AM
There are canals there with fish. There is also a small lake called Weist Lake. Of course there is the Salton Sea. Of the 3, I favor the canal.

Catsfordays
08-25-2011, 06:35 PM
Just south of Niland off HWY 111 is Mcdonald road. Head east on Mcdonald and take it till it dead ends. The last 2/10's of a mile will not be paved. You will end up at the Highline Canal. Cats, Bass, Bluegill, and Carp are all in there........Good Luck

mjc89
08-25-2011, 10:18 PM
ya i might go out to niland for sum dove hunting also but not sure yet. i would also like to get sum fishing in so i might make a stop at the salton sea to catch sum tilapia. ive heard its fairly ez so ill give it a try. theres alot of lil channels there in niland. ive seen sum bass and bluegill in them so might try and catch sum also.

Fisher
08-26-2011, 02:08 PM
There's also Ramer and Finney...just go south from Niland on Hwy 111 and you'll pass Calipatria and about 4 miles from there, there'll be a brown sign(may be covered with overgrown brush) reading "Finney/Ramer" Unit...or something like that....that place is tough sometimes. I've heard of big bass, good Crappie and cats...but haven't caught squat there...others have....I don't go there too often, but Weist has produced a 9-10 pounder..6 pounders, 7...Bass by the way....and a hell of a lot of bluegill....gooooooood Crappie too....

Best of luck, brotha!

fishchum
08-26-2011, 02:19 PM
thank you guys.
i might check out the lake FISHER suggest, i google it on the map and it look like a pretty good size lake.
we're going to give it a try on wed and shoot thursday.
thanks again fisher.

jeepnkal
08-26-2011, 02:33 PM
Great info guys. I do some work out there from time to time and will be nice to have a place to fish while im there.

drifter023
08-26-2011, 05:45 PM
At Weist lake is it all shore fishing or can you lanuch a small boat?

Catsfordays
08-27-2011, 07:27 AM
Pretty sure you can launch a small boat. Problem is you get some jetskis out there. It's not a large lake and all that racket puts the fish down.

DockRat
08-27-2011, 08:30 AM
The Highline is good. Finney Raimer has some trees, my kids went to Mulberry School near Weist Lake. The trick is to find shade 110 degrees.

i would also like to get sum fishing in so i might make a stop at the salton sea to catch sum TOXIC tilapia.

Bring antibiotics, LOL
Contaminated Cancer Sea LOL :Dead Horse:

http://i583.photobucket.com/albums/ss272/james_mikel/STVM/tumbleweed_ghost_town.jpg

Catsfordays
08-27-2011, 12:30 PM
The good thing about catching Salton Sea Tilapia is that they're already cooked!!! LIMH

drifter023
08-27-2011, 05:35 PM
Pretty sure you can launch a small boat. Problem is you get some jetskis out there. It's not a large lake and all that racket puts the fish down.

Cats, thanks might have to give it a try in the fall.

Arrow
08-28-2011, 04:27 PM
thank you guys.
i might check out the lake FISHER suggest, i google it on the map and it look like a pretty good size lake.
we're going to give it a try on wed and shoot thursday.
thanks again fisher.

Good luck on the Dove hunting not able to go this year, I hunt Delano Ca a little bit cooler less people limit by 8am the latest and back to the motel for poker with my buds..

yolo
08-30-2011, 09:18 PM

My jet skis always ran awesome there back in the day due to the below sea level elevation. I had to run 50/50 mix of premium 92 and some high octane AVgas to keep from seizing. Haven't been in like 15 years. Is there still a hydrilla problem there? We used to pull out trout, cats and gills with the "racket". Probably aerated that little pond from all the jetwash which made the bite better, imo.

guide
08-30-2011, 09:37 PM
in nialand at the grocery store make a left and head east. when you hit the highland canal you can fish there and dove hunt the same time.

DockRat
08-31-2011, 12:19 PM
Watch out for Rattle Snakes, they have HUGE ones down there.
I killed one with 12 rattles and was bigger than a tennis ball round, 7' long about 50 lbs.
My wife almost stepped on a big one too out by Niland. One day I was mowing my neighbors
lawn with no catcher. She was gone for the summer and the grass was over a foot tall.
Had 2 baby Rattlers about 2' go flying out the side of the mower.

Wear Boots in IV lots of mice and rats eat off the farms.
Big Mule Deer come down to feed on the fields and drink in the canals.
Usually east of the highline, Mammoth Wash area.
DR

Fisher
08-31-2011, 04:37 PM
The Highline is tricky, brother..........you really have to pick a good spot. Last year some time I was hitting the diversion canal with all the drops along Albright Road less than a mile south of Calipatria(do some of you know what I'm talking about???) Anyway, I think it was on the 2nd or third drop stretch where I hooked what must have been a 4 pounder...I had him and as I was trying to land him, he shook too much and went back into the water...I cursed so loud! Anyway, I really recommend those smaller canals...then as the water keeps flowing(west) it gets more and more stained. Fish closer to the rocky area(which is probably about 6 feet of water)

Last Labor Day, I caught an 11-3/4 inch Redear Sunfish. WOW! I took him home and filleted that monster. I love bluegill fishing...ANY GOOD areas around the Highline for good Gills???

Right now, the highline seems more stained/murky than what I'm used to seeing...it's usually VERY clear water...you can see the HUGE grass carp, and gills and bass swimming around...maybe it'll settle...but it's been like this for quite a few months...ANYBODY else notice???

I know this is far, but it you go all the way down to HWY 98, while following the Highline, you'll reach a "Y" that delivers water to the main HIghline canal....when that particular gate is closed, that few hundred yards of that delivery canal doesn't have flow....it's like backwater or something...anyway, a warden told me that while that gate is closed, the bluegill seem to like it there...and you'll catch your limit...BLUEGILL ARE DELICIOUS!

Check it out!!!

fishchum
09-02-2011, 09:13 AM
thank you everyone for the advice.
we had a blast yesterday. after shooting some few birds ( it was a very slow day, 7 birds) we went to soak our fishing line near the power plant.
all the cat we caught were at least 4+ bound, we both limit out in 3 hours.
the was fun and exciting.

thanks again everyone.