PDA

View Full Version : Gvl 8/21

Rot8
08-22-2011, 08:06 AM
Fished GVL on Sunday for a big skunk. My buddy caught 3 dinks and when I say dinks I mean 5 inches. GVL was a pretty big disappointment this year. Took the trip up there 4 times and had two horrible trips. When we did catch fish it was nothing but 6 inchers. Beautiful scenery but not worth the gas money. Also, there won't be any free fishing period this year. Someone will always monitor the lake to collect fees. Makes sense since they paid for the fish. Heard they were going to stock this Friday for those who are interested. I think I will pass...the gas is too expensive.

Tight lines everyone.

Captain Mortgage
08-22-2011, 11:37 AM
Sorry to hear about your skunk. I hate paying the $15 and not catching anything.

I went on 8/20, and had a pretty good day. My buddy's 5 year old caught a 3lb rainbow about half hour after we got there. After that we got 5 stocker's, and I brought in a decent 1.5lb-2lb at 2:00 right before we left. All in all it wasn't too bad. I was using these things called Atomic Tubes. I've never tried them before, but they worked great for me.

Rot8
08-22-2011, 09:53 PM
I heard of Atomic tubes. Are they both a trout and crappie lure? Anyways, glad you got your money's worth. Sunday was horrible. A few people around me were having more luck with nightcrawlers under a bubble. I probably should have switched but just wasn't excited about rigging for a six inch fish. Glad you caught some decent ones though. Great job!

greenbean
08-22-2011, 11:03 PM
Sorry to hear about the skunk, But next time why not just go to Big Bear. Free to fish and the fish there are more like wild fish. They fight harder and taste better as long as they've been in the lake for a while. It is a little harder to fish. But all the same stuff works there. Good luck next time.

phishin phool
08-23-2011, 06:52 AM
I feel your pain Rot, I gave up on GVL this year and have been tubing Jenks instead. I can catch and release all the dinks I want for $5. Its definately not like it used to be. I gotta go up there(gvl) sat and do some work on a friends cabin so I'm gonna give it a try so we'll see how it goes.

angelsfan951
08-23-2011, 11:52 AM
i was up there on sat and caught 15 stockers and about 3 decent size ones. i almost got away with not paying i told the lady we only had our debt cards so she told us were to go and kept walking right when we were pulling out our fishing poles she came back and made us pay lol oh well maybe next time it was my first time out there nice lil lake and looks like fun for the family. Oh and also got to see the eagle going around the lake

Kelster
08-23-2011, 01:43 PM
I feel your pain Rot, I gave up on GVL this year and have been tubing Jenks instead. I can catch and release all the dinks I want for $5. Its definately not like it used to be. I gotta go up there(gvl) sat and do some work on a friends cabin so I'm gonna give it a try so we'll see how it goes.

Plus you can take your Tube...................

phishin phool
08-23-2011, 07:24 PM
You caught 15 fish and had a great day at GVL and would have left without paying???????????????
i was up there on sat and caught 15 stockers and about 3 decent size ones. i almost got away with not paying i told the lady we only had our debt cards so she told us were to go and kept walking right when we were pulling out our fishing poles she came back and made us pay lol oh well maybe next time it was my first time out there nice lil lake and looks like fun for the family. Oh and also got to see the eagle going around the lake

phishin phool
08-23-2011, 07:28 PM
Fosho Kel!
Plus you can take your Tube...................

IncredibleHuck
08-24-2011, 07:37 AM
Also, there won't be any free fishing period this year. Someone will always monitor the lake to collect fees. Makes sense since they paid for the fish.

LOL I still don't see them charging in the winter. First off they will not have facilities open around the lake, and second they will not have enough people fishing there to cover the cost of having some work there. Usually the first and second stocks of the year by the DFG you can fish it for free for some good fishing.

Rot8
08-26-2011, 09:37 PM
LOL I still don't see them charging in the winter. First off they will not have facilities open around the lake, and second they will not have enough people fishing there to cover the cost of having some work there. Usually the first and second stocks of the year by the DFG you can fish it for free for some good fishing.

Just going by the what lady who sells the ticket told me. I kind of agree, is someone working for free? Anyways, I think their intention was to hang around until the lake freezes over.

Trout Daddy
08-30-2011, 08:15 PM
Just going by the what lady who sells the ticket told me. I kind of agree, is someone working for free? Anyways, I think their intention was to hang around until the lake freezes over.

Last stock goes in Friday with the exception of a few more state stocks. I wonder how much longer after that they will charge. There are a lot of fish in there. I wanna ninja the damn swimbeach, the lunkers are sitting over there!!!!:EyePop: