PDA

View Full Version : Rpt-08-21-11 2.5 day YFT Carnage, Tails, Do Do

Tunaslam
08-21-2011, 03:24 PM
Day-1-Departure

First time fishing with private boater Shad on his dynamite 35’ Cabo Express “Scotty D”, on a 2.5 day trip, 08-19-11 to 08-21-11, with crew Rob, and Mark!

We left Shad’s slip in San Diego at 5pm, Friday afternoon. The Salt Fever just beat us to the slip, so we waited for them to load up on bait for 25 minutes. I teased Ron for taking so much time and costing us fishing time in the morning. We discussed our plans of attack and would touch bases with each other as we arrived and began fishing on the tuna grounds. We loaded up with 3 scoops of slimy sardines, although many were very large. Cleared the Point at 6pm, with the destination being 150 miles south to the tuna grounds.

Unlike last week’s five star cruise, this trip was bachelor style, so thank goodness for the microwave? Before heating up some leftover cheeseburgers for dinner, I enjoyed a glass of Inglenook Chardonnay. I brought lots of deli meat, for sandwiches, Kentucky Fried Chicken, cold slaw, mashed potatoes and gravy for dinner. Breakfast, why an ice cold Bohemian Beer will do. Rob chipped in for my breakfast by offering me a Chicken Verde and Cheese Burrito, when you are hungry, and it’s on the water, it all taste good. It does not get too much better in life, when you get this kind of opportunity to share adventures on the high seas?

Day 2-Fishing

The ride south was sensational for the first 103 miles, as we made this distance by 10 pm. It got to rock and rolling shortly later as the seas built, and the wind reached at least 10 knots. I volunteered for the 2:00 to 4:00am shift, and had an uneventful shift, which you always need to be thankful for? The only negative was that the autopilot died just before my shift, so it was more work than play in the bumpy seas? I woke up Captain Shad where we were now 138 miles south of Point Loma. He woke up the rest of the crew to rig up for the day. I was already rigged, so I took a short nap until daybreak.

Got up at grey light at 5:45 am, and it was getting close to time to put in the trolling rods. The water temps had risen to 70.5, which does not bode well for the Bluefin Tuna, usually preferring water temps less than 68 degrees. Same for the Albacore.

Put in the trollers at 6am, a Rapala, a natural Cedar Plug, the reliable Zucchini Broomtail. We did not set up the out riggers until the next troll, where we added two more feather rigs. Not five minutes had passed and we hollered Hookupppppppp! A double, no a triple! We all grabbed a trolling rig, as Captain Shad tossed baits, and put out his bait stick. Gaff was hollered, and Captain Shad put his bait stick in the rod holder, and managed a great eyeball shot! Then another and another, as three Yellowfin Tuna hit the deck. Then his bait stick was bent over big time. We all tossed baits, and all three of us were bent. Wow, what a start to the day? We put nine-baitfish on the deck.

Myself with a 15 pound Yellowfin Tuna:

http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i394/tunaslam/100_1679.jpg

Mark with a couple of Tuna:

http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i394/tunaslam/100_1681.jpg

I called Ron on the Salt Fever and let him know the numbers and he was still about 25 miles north of us. Bled the tuna, tossed them in the big cooler, loaded with ice. Washed all the blood off the decks, and within five minutes we were bit again. A double on the jigs, and one baitfish. Off trolling again, and only another five minutes and we are bit again, 1 jig and 1 bait this time. Repeat this processes several more times, and then we hit the Mother Lode!

It was utter chaos for nearly an hour. Every bait was bit instantly. All four of us bent at the same time. Yellowfin Tuna jumping everywhere. The teamwork was incredible, as I hollered for a gaff, someone stuck him, while fighting his fish, I reciprocated, etc. At one time I had just landed my Tuna, and the other three got tangled, it was a cluster F@#$. I hollered, “put your tips together”, no hope, a giant knot kept them together, so I hand lined up two fish and stuck them. Then we got the third fish, what a save, and what a thrill?

Another YFT:
http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i394/tunaslam/100_1678.jpg

Mark and I with Yellowfin Tuna:

http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i394/tunaslam/100_1680.jpg

The deck was littered with fish, Captain Shad said its catch and release only, were done; the fish hold’s are plugged. We had limits of Yellowfin Tuna to maybe 17-18 pounds! Left them foaming on the corner, as we drove away, they were jumping in a 180 degree arch, what a sight! It just does not get any better. It was only 9:30 am on the first day of a 2.5-day trip and we were done with Tuna, although we all wanted to add a Yellowtail and/or a Dorado to the weekend’s trip counts! I called Ron with the results and numbers. Interesting he was hailing us during the ripper bite and obviously we could not answer his call?

Myself, Captain Shad and Mark with Yellowfin Tuna:
http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i394/tunaslam/100_1683.jpg

After cleaning up the boat of more blood than you want to believe can cover a 35’ boat and every crack on it, we set a course east for 15 miles and then north for home, hoping to find the magic kelp paddy, yielding Yellowtail and Dorado. Stopped on a couple kelp paddies for nothing, then off in the distance I spotted a Do Do Jumping, a few seconds later Rob, who was up in the tower hollered, Kelp Paddy at 1 O’clock. I was at the helm, and slid up on the paddy. Dorado were jumping on all sides of the paddy. Shad came up out of his bunk like a man on a mission and placed us just right,. Mark was first to get bit. Then Rob and I hooked up.

Mark screamed, it’s a Do Do, look at him jump! Rob and I both had hooked Rat Tails, about 5 pounders. I released mine, however, Rob’s was gut hooked and bleeding out, so he kept it. I gaffed Mark’s Do Do, what a simply beautiful fish when they are all lit up in the water!

Mark with his Do Do:

http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i394/tunaslam/100_1684.jpg

We moved back up on the Kelp, and the Do Do were still teasing us, jumping off in the distance, however, they were either not hungry or line shy, although several of us were using 20 pound test line? On to the next kelp paddy.

By high noon the conditions sucked, 7’ seas, a very mixed swell, 10 knots of wind, lots of popcorn, and heading straight up swell, the chances of spotting Kelp Paddies very slim. A decent size boat and slow speed prevented a rough ride home. Shad and I shared stories of being in smaller boats and getting our rear ends handed to us in such conditions?

Checked in with the Salt Fever, they had 14 Tuna on the deck at 6pm. Hope they slammed them on Sunday morning, having arrived in the area and spending the night. We slow trolled home at 6.5 knots to conserve fuel. Arrived in US waters in the wee hours Sunday Morning. Fileted fish for forever, docked at 9am, scrubbed the boat to a silky clean white, said our goodbyes. For the first time fishing together, what a team effort!

Thanks Shad for an incredible Tuna adventure. You went the distance to put us on the fish, outstanding job! A thrill meeting you Mark and Rob, hope we can share a rail together again soon? Shad, what can I say, let’s do a repeat performance soon!
Hook up!
Cory

Daryl
08-22-2011, 12:57 PM
Looks like an awesome trip. Good job on the mahi.

JapanRon
08-22-2011, 05:58 PM
Hi Tunaslam,

Read twice !! Great job on the fishys.

JapanRon

oakboy
08-22-2011, 07:35 PM
Well done! Nice DODO, i need to get out there some time!

<><
KP

boojoo
08-23-2011, 10:37 AM
Wow...what an amazing report and pics. I'll be out in a couple of weeks on a 2 day chartered trip. I hope the bite is as good as has been!!

Keep the reports coming!!

Hooked Up
08-23-2011, 11:22 AM
Fun, fun, fun! Wide open Tuna! Are those beer cup holders on the bait tank? Never see that on a party boat. lol Thanks for the report! Excellent trip!

murrieta angler
08-23-2011, 06:01 PM
Words can't describe how I am feeling Cory.
I am sooo looking forward to my 2 & 1/2 day this coming weekend.
Sweet fish, great report & good times, doesn't get better than that.

Thank You Sir!
Robert
<><

Which Way Out
08-23-2011, 07:06 PM
Blood, Beer, Fish and Friends, What can I say that the pic's don't already other then I wish I were there.

Congrats:Beer Toast::Food::High Five:

smokehound
08-26-2011, 12:58 AM
Nice job, though you posted the wrong pic. Your second YFT shot is the same fish as the first.

I was beginning to think I'd never see another pic report from you again!

DockRat
08-27-2011, 08:50 AM
It was only 9:30 am on the first day of a 2.5-day trip and we were done with Tuna, Cory

How many guys wish they had that problem. Lol

Good report as always Cory.
DR

Jackpot Jimmy
08-28-2011, 09:50 PM
WOW! That's some awesome fishing right there. Way to go Cory, and thanks for the report!

HawgStalker
08-29-2011, 09:11 AM
WOW! What an awesome report! Congrats....

jerr-dog
08-29-2011, 10:01 AM
Nice report thanks for sharing.

gletemfeelsteelgary
09-02-2011, 02:05 PM
You guys are on a roll....saweet slayage : )

Nice work out there on a helluva nice array of feesh !

Way ta roll !

sorry for the late reply,
Gary

E.A.R.G.
09-02-2011, 03:29 PM
SICK! WIckkeddd
can't believe you guys went all the way down there! heard they were biting now-n-laters