PDA

View Full Version : From the home A.O.

Nipple Twister
08-21-2011, 12:29 PM
Since yesterdays skunk I had to make another attempt at getting something to show for the weekends efforts, I decided to stay close and hit my home beach. Pontoon said he had a few hours to spare before going about Sundays activities and said he would join me and would see if Trolly wanted to join us but he had prior engagement and couldn't make it.
Was on the beach at greylight, usually I am the only one there that early but today there where already about 6 or 8 fisherman already there. Hmm, I take it as a good sign and start working it. Using one of my regular Team Members, LC Flash Minnow that has had some Wingnut mods. About ten cast into it Pontoon walks up and said "things look good, any luck"? "Nope, not yet". I agree, conditions seem good. Light breeze, water clear, surf small, tide about 2'+ just enough to keep the trenches deep but close. :Fishing Hole:
Pontoon starts working it north with me following we get a good distance between us. Cast/retrieve, cast/retrieve, cast/retrieve.............nothing. I have been having some small issues with the new reel I was using, Shimano Spirex 4000RG and they seem to be getting worse. Was getting a little frustrated but I keep at it. Along with the spool oscilation having a glitch now the anti-reverse stopped working and with a reel with a "quick-fire" bail made it very difficult.:Angry: I decide to just keep at it until it gives out completly. Lookin down the beach what do I see, of course Pontoon landing a fish, a shorty.......damn that guy, not here 30 mins and hes got fish on!
I keep at it and right about the time I was gonna stop and switch reels BAM! Right out of the trench not 10 feet in front of me I get hit hard. Big time bendo but I can't tell what it is and trying to make sure I don't release the crank handle and go free spool! As I start to use the waves to get the fish landed it just dosn't wanna come....holdin steady I get a flash of white......"nice, a Halibut but it don't mean nothin if I can't get her in". Finally, a big enough wave washes it up and I start sliding her up the wet sand and BING! My LC comes unbuttoned! I quickly I flipped it with my foot up the sand (Pontoon said more like a fieldgoal kick) and get my hands on it. Looking pretty good size, whip out the tape and sure enough.....my first legal! Soooo f ing cool! And, I have a witness, Pontoon. :Dancing Banana::Bug Eyes::Wink::Razz:
I could have been using a tin can and some string, didn't care. Getting that baby was/is way cool!
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w64/nippletwister_photos/FirstLegald.jpg
Right about 23"
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w64/nippletwister_photos/FirstLegalc.jpg
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w64/nippletwister_photos/FirstLegalb.jpg
After the excitment, picture taking and congrats I head back to the Jeep to store may catch and get another reel.
Get back to the surf, Pontoon still working it, I get the reel going and start back at it. Not long I get it again, same spot just about....BAM!
Another Hali........shorty...
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w64/nippletwister_photos/SunsetBeach082111a.jpg
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w64/nippletwister_photos/SunsetBeach082111b.jpg
We went back at it for about another hour but nothing else.......Pontoon was outta time and well, I just didn't care, my weekend was made and now I got some tacos I gotta get to making.........

Great day, great friends and tight lines......'til next time, thx for listening.......and a special thanks to Pontoon, wouldn't have happened with out ya bud, thx!

Karyn
08-21-2011, 12:58 PM
Yeah for you!!!! Congrats! Nice fish! : )

PONTOON
08-21-2011, 03:41 PM
NT, Congratulations!:Cool:

I had to laugh when I parked next to you and you were nowhere in sight. I knew you had to be down on the water working the L.C. I have to admire your persistence and it was that persistence that paid off big for you today.:Envious:
When I looked back and saw that you were on a nice fish I had to get back there and get the picture for you. I only wish I could have got the panic save on video after it popped of the lure. I knew it was a big fish when I saw that!:LOL:

If there was anyone who deserved that fish today it was you. We've hit the beach in O.C. a few times now and I have seen how determined you were to get that fish. I'm just bummed that you have been having problems with the new reel especially after I suggested that model to you. I'm sure that shimano will take care of it when you take it in.

Now on a side note, I'm glad that you have the day off tomorrow so I can go back to work and tell everyone my side of the story before you get to.:LOL::LOL:

Good luck to you tomorrow I have a real strong feeling that you are going to be back at it early. :Cool:

Nipple Twister
08-21-2011, 04:48 PM
Yeah for you!!!! Congrats! Nice fish! : )

Karyn, thank you. It was a fun morning, great ending to a fine weekend.
Your Avatar looks familiar, do I know you from another message board, MJR.com perhaps?

I'm just bummed that you have been having problems with the new reel especially after I suggested that model to you. I'm sure that shimano will take care of it when you take it in.

Now on a side note, I'm glad that you have the day off tomorrow so I can go back to work and tell everyone my side of the story before you get to.

Good luck to you tomorrow I have a real strong feeling that you are going to be back at it early.

Pontoon, thx for the kind words.
The reel suggestion, and the rod for that matter, are perfect recommendations. This perticular one somehow got out of the factory. I hear nothing but good things about Shimano's customer service and I too feel they will make me a happy customer, good thing they are open until 4:30.
Now as for the side note: I have nothing but the utmost respect for you and your character. You are a fisherman, person, stand up guy with the integrity, honesty, loyalty that is the bar by which all others are judged (Bones, am I gettin this right?) so I am secure in knowing you will do nothing more then to accurately describe the events which unfolded before you on this 21st day of August 2011 to our fellow workmates!

PONTOON
08-21-2011, 07:11 PM
.....Now as for the side note: I have nothing but the utmost respect for you and your character. You are a fisherman, person, stand up guy with the integrity, honesty, loyalty that is the bar by which all others are judged......

I like that NT. I really do. Thank you Sir!:Cool:

.....so I am secure in knowing you will do nothing more then to accurately describe the events which unfolded before you on this 21st day of August 2011 to our fellow workmates!

Uh Huh!:Neener Neener: You just wait till I get done with this fish story............:Envious:

vanillagurilla
08-21-2011, 08:58 PM
you guys need to measure the flat side of the fish, lay it ON TOP of the tape. a fat 23" hali measured from the top might not be 22" measured on the bottom by dfg. i know i had a close call, i dont even take a fish unless its clearly over 24" anymore.

Wingnut
08-21-2011, 10:51 PM
NT, did you win the office pool...? :LOL:
Congrats on your first of many legal Flatties, very well done. :Cool:

murrieta angler
08-22-2011, 07:33 AM
Hey NT,
Congrats with your first, of many, legal halibuts to come.
Thanks for sharing,
Robert
<><

Nipple Twister
08-22-2011, 03:47 PM
vanillagurilla
you guys need to measure the flat side of the fish, lay it ON TOP of the tape. a fat 23" hali measured from the top might not be 22" measured on the bottom by dfg. i know i had a close call, i dont even take a fish unless its clearly over 24" anymore.

Vanillagurilla,
I clearly understand and thx. The pics that are posted are kinda misleading a bit, they are on an angle. Before I got too commited to it being "legal" I measured the white side first before Pontoon got there with his camera, by then I had rolled her over and taped it there just for the posting. Again, thx for the word of caution, I know those DFG boys don't miss much......this one being my first I just had to keep it but now comes the search for PB's! released of course........:LOL:

Wingnut
NT, did you win the office pool...?
Congrats on your first of many legal Flatties, very well done.

Wingnut, As much as I would have liked winning something like that betting against Pontoon in ANYTHING fishing is certain losing.
Thank You very much, sooo exciting still and to have it happen with a mentor there to witness all the better:Dancing Banana:. I can't believe I have been missing this all these years.......

murrieta angler
Hey NT,
Congrats with your first, of many, legal halibuts to come.
Thanks for sharing,
Robert
<><

Murrieta Angler, Thx for the kind words. Got me totally pumped for my next day on the water.........:Fishing Catch:

Nipple Twister
08-22-2011, 04:07 PM
Well, since yesterday turned out to be epic I had to hit it one more time, I had today off but only a couple of hours to spare so I hit the home A.O. once more.
Pretty much same conditions but the sun came out just as it rose ducking under the cloud cover for about an hour. Worked some of the same beach just not wandering to far due to time restrictions. All I was able to manage was a 18" shorty:
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w64/nippletwister_photos/Fishing/SunsetBeach082211.jpg

I shoulda re-tied the LC afterwards because not too many casts later just as I was swinging forward I heard a "BING" and saw one of my team members, Flash Minnow Metallic Ayu, fly down the beach and landing in the water about 10-15 off shore!
All I could do was stand there with limp line and say "really". Running down there and start searching but to no avail.....:Embarrassed:.
Oh well, I new it would happen. Tied on something else, Kastmaster, and fished and searched hoping it would pop up knowing they do float. 15-20 mins and nothing, so I started to work my way back one last time and call it a day I glanced back one more time and low and behold there it was washing up and down the ebb, grabbed it! Whoo Hoo:Wink:......all is good........

Tight lines everyone and 'til next time, thanks for listening........

5150fishn
08-22-2011, 04:42 PM
Nice report and congrats on the legal hali and getting the LC back. Putting in the time pays off. I just need to find some time for myself to hit the surf. LOL

SP Dan
08-22-2011, 05:47 PM
Persistence! Way to hang in there NT! Congratulations on your first legal!! I haven't landed my first legal yet but I know that I will soon enough! Great report! you are an inspiration to me. Keep on trenching!SP Dan <"))><

oakboy
08-22-2011, 07:11 PM
Nice job on the flatties!

<><
KP

flyngby
08-23-2011, 09:54 PM
Nt,

Your on a roll! Many more legal's will come your way at this pace! Remember to let your friend from work take the point for the next few trips and pick up the scraps! :Wink:

Steve http://planetsmilies.net/person-smiley-1122.gif

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z286/flyngby/BleedingMac.jpg

jerr-dog
08-24-2011, 12:07 AM
Hey congrats on the Hali. Good job

Nipple Twister
08-24-2011, 08:47 AM
5150fishn
Nice report and congrats on the legal hali and getting the LC back. Putting in the time pays off. I just need to find some time for myself to hit the surf. LOL

Thx 5150fishn, yeah losing a LC right now would have really hurt, time I have....money, not so much.......

SP Dan
Persistence! Way to hang in there NT! Congratulations on your first legal!! I haven't landed my first legal yet but I know that I will soon enough! Great report! you are an inspiration to me. Keep on trenching!SP Dan <"))><

Thx for the support, lets go and I'll show you mine if you show me yours....hehehehe.......I'm sure yours is coming very soon, conditions are right!

oakboy
Nice job on the flatties!

<><
KP

Thx oakboy....it is the "fish of a 1000 casts".....

flyngby
Nt,

Your on a roll! Many more legal's will come your way at this pace! Remember to let your friend from work take the point for the next few trips and pick up the scraps!

Steve

flyngby, Pontoon is always the pointman with me getting the left overs..:Big Grin:

jerr-dog
Hey congrats on the Hali. Good job

thx jerr-dog....appreciate it.....

This is how things turned out, me and the wife had 2.5 lbs of tacos!
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w64/nippletwister_photos/Fishing/FirstLegale.jpg
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w64/nippletwister_photos/Fishing/FirstLegalf.jpg
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w64/nippletwister_photos/Fishing/FirstLegalg.jpg
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w64/nippletwister_photos/Fishing/FirstLegalh.jpg