PDA

View Full Version : Duct question

M@M
08-20-2011, 03:00 PM
:Embarrassed:"Newbie Question"....Hey guys, I always fish during the day......... Hoping Night fishing might be better for the stripers, down here in Hesperia.......... Latest I've fished is till about an hour after sundown...........Haven't caught any stripers in like 16mos.:Crying:.....Need advise.........You guys that fish nights...........what times of night do you start fishing?.........do you feel it makes any difference what hours you fish??.......... .....:Smile:....I'm going tonight.........Luckily for me (since I'm like the worst fisherman in the world) I'll be going with someone whose been successful ..........I'll let you know how it goes...... Any and all info and advise will be appreciated Thanks......
tight lines,Mike

trail blazer
08-20-2011, 03:39 PM
M@M,,,,,,,,,,,GOOD luck out there tonight,,,,,,,,,hopefully your dry spell will be shatterd by DD stripers thrashing at the end of your line,,,,,,,,,,LC 128/1OZ KPN/ 3/4 OZ RAT TRAP/

Will other lures work,,,YES,,,,,,,,,,,,do other people catch them with other techniques,,,YES,,,,,,

Whats the best time to fish,,,,,,,,UNDER A MOON,,,,,,,,,,,,,Later at night is better then earlier,,,,,,From midnight till daybreak is best,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,

This is just my opinion,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Just trying to help out if possible,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,hope you slay!!!!!!!!!!!

TRAIL BLAZER

AbsolutePig
08-20-2011, 04:02 PM
Hey Mike, striper are primarily night feeders...you will always get a better bite at night. Best obviously is a full moon where they can see and chase bait. Tonight we have a half or 3/4 moon, so hopefully we will get some light out there. Should be interesting to say the least. Just wondering how the gates have been at the spot we are going to. If they are open or what the deal is. What the water clarity is.......seems to change on a daily basis up there. I'm gonna try and gear down so we can walk a ways without carrying a load. Should be fun. Bring some flashlights!! I won't keep all the fish I'm going to catch some bring something to jkeep them in if you want them......HEHE! Confidence pays off baby!! See you tonight!

M@M
08-20-2011, 04:07 PM
Trail Blazer, thanks your advice always helps...is it best to keep the lights and sound at a minimum?

Absolute, I always travel light, I'll have ice!! lol

trail blazer
08-20-2011, 04:22 PM
Trail Blazer, thanks your advice always helps...is it best to keep the lights and sound at a minimum?

Absolute, I always travel light, I'll have ice!! lol

To answer your question M@M,,,,,ABSOLUTELY,,lol

any light KILLS the bite bigtime!!!!,,,,,,,,silence rules,,,not talking abought gatehouse lights and lights that are permanant fixtures,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,There is 1 spot up here where a light hangs out over a turnout ,,,,,,,,,over the duct,,,,,,,,,,,,,the before daylight bite there can be off the hook as long as you don,t cast any shadow on the water by getting between the light and the duct,,,,,,,,,,,That kills it instantly,,

hope you guys tear,m up down there,,,,,,,,,,,sounds like absolute might just know his stuff,,and be a real striper killin machine,,,,,,,I MEAN THAT1.

,,,Nobody says that you have to be a great guy to know how to fish,,,lol

GOOD LUCK TO YOU BOTH

TRAIL BLAZER

AbsolutePig
08-20-2011, 04:31 PM
To answer your question M@M,,,,,ABSOLUTELY,,lol

any light KILLS the bite bigtime!!!!,,,,,,,,silence rules,,,not talking abought gatehouse lights and lights that are permanant fixtures,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,There is 1 spot up here where a light hangs out over a turnout ,,,,,,,,,over the duct,,,,,,,,,,,,,the before daylight bite there can be off the hook as long as you don,t cast any shadow on the water by getting between the light and the duct,,,,,,,,,,,That kills it instantly,,

hope you guys tear,m up down there,,,,,,,,,,,sounds like absolute might just know his stuff,,and be a real striper killin machine,,,,,,,I MEAN THAT1.

,,,Nobody says that you have to be a great guy to know how to fish,,,lol

GOOD LUCK TO YOU BOTH

TRAIL BLAZER

I hear the bite at the trout farms is off the hook too! Go tear it up! Thanks for the compliments! ;-)

yolo
08-20-2011, 04:35 PM
Day has been pretty good for me lately. Tried one time at night recently but nothing. Should have gotten my sleep instead, lol. Gates should be wide open but I would not fish the gates. All my fish the past couple of months have come from open water and some bridges. Turbidity is super low which means very clear water. There was like 6' visibility before I went out of town for a few days. Just got home and have not been out but I imagine it is just as clear or maybe clearer than when I last fished.

Mike, you staying in your area or coming this way? Good luck out there!

evosamurai
08-20-2011, 04:49 PM
M@M TheAsianGuy(Leo) and I fished hesperia duct all last night, fished from 10pm til 5 am starting from Los Flores bridge and worked our way back up to the top. No bites, heard a couple splashes, we through everything out there, Leo went to an asian market got all types of fresh bait but nothing. Moonlight was good enough light to see everything. Bring a sweater and maybe something to cover your face, the wind was ripping all night and throughout the morning, never let up. Good luck out there hope u catch something and take a pic to see what i missed out on lol. Also check your surroundings when your fishing, coyotes start stalking you from the hills behind

evosamurai
08-20-2011, 04:52 PM
Also forgot to had the current is VERY strong we threw 4oz and 5 oz sinkers and they would not stay put at all water was pretty clear

evosamurai
08-20-2011, 04:55 PM
i had a long night got up for work at 430a worked all day fished all night ended being up for 30 hours straight, fun stuff lol

evosamurai
08-20-2011, 06:53 PM
I also have a question for yolo, TB or anyone, last night some locals told us that baitcasting reels are not good for the duct is that true? they said to get large spinning reels. i was using my curado 200, thing worked great for cast and retrieve.

yolo
08-20-2011, 08:13 PM
I also have a question for yolo, TB or anyone, last night some locals told us that baitcasting reels are not good for the duct is that true? they said to get large spinning reels. i was using my curado 200, thing worked great for cast and retrieve.

For lures, I use baitcasters 90% of the time. Sometimes a spinning but my spinning set up is a trout/crappie set up. Basically a light set up for some extra fun when I feel like it.

For bait n wait like you are doing, I would probably use a spinning set up, preferably a bait runner style or use a conventional reel with a clicker.

fish-o-haulic
08-20-2011, 08:49 PM
I go any time after 600 pm to fish the duct late at night and early morning is the ticket for me.

evosamurai
08-20-2011, 09:22 PM
ok ill use my trinidad 20 then, why arent baitcasters good for bait n wait?

yolo
08-21-2011, 08:37 AM
ok ill use my trinidad 20 then, why arent baitcasters good for bait n wait?

They are fine but I would hate to have a striper yank my stuff in the water. They can and they will. The spinning bait runners and conventional with clickers won't let that happen. I have caught a couple of rods with reels out of the duct. Too bad they were cheapy combos but one still had the shrink wrap with the barcode on it.