PDA

View Full Version : S.W.A.T. Make It A Dozen Please!!! 8/19/2011

murrieta angler
08-19-2011, 06:24 PM
Where do I start!?
I’ll go back to yesterday evening, when I received a call from my wife saying she had to stay for a couple extra hours at work, for some PC training. That was at 7:00 p.m.
Previously in the day I was in contact with some friends and we were discussing fishing and where to go. I had informed them that I couldn’t go cause my wife said to not make any plans this weekend…:Rolls Eyes:
It’s now a little after 9:00 and my wife gets home from work, she says that she might do overtime, today, but wouldn’t know until 5:00 a.m. The phone rings a little after 5:00 this morning and sure enough they need help cause they are short staffed.
My wife and some friends from work are going to Cabo in October and she could use the extra money to buy me some fishing shirts…:Cool:
I decided that I would head out fishing, to Carlsbad, even though the conditions were supposed to be on the ugly side. Low tide was at 6:13 at 1.86 ft, the waves were supposed to be 2-3 ft but more like 3-5 ft, the darn salad moved in big time, water temp was around 67-68 degrees and outside temp was roughly 60-62 degrees. The bad thing was the wind, it was blowing at least 12-15 mph from the SW.
I arrived at 6:30 and there were 2 other guys there fishing already, I didn’t talk to them till later in the morning. I started at my usual spot and worked my way South to no avail. Kelp, Kelp and more Kelp!!!
I knew it had be light in some areas, and it was, but there were no fish around! I fished from 6:30 a.m. till 9:30 a.m and didn’t get one bump or quibble ( quick nibble from perch ). I stopped and talked to the 2 guys there and they said they hadn’t got a nibble either, one was using a c-rig, with sand crabs, and the other was using a drop shot with a fluke, I believe.
I made the decision to leave and head North. I stopped for a quick peek over in Oceanside, but the waves were pounding and I wasn’t going to even try to attempt it there.
After I got my breakfast burrito I stopped over at Anglers Tackle, in Oceanside, and picked up some flukes and some hooks. Peter, the owner, said it had been pretty slow during the week and asked where I was going. I told him 72nd Street, we chit chatted a bit more, than I left. When I got in the truck I gave Nick Lam a call to see if he was working, he was. I already knew Pontoon wasn’t going to fish till Saturday, Wingnut had plans, Illest was gonna fish Saturday and so on and so on….:Neutral:

Well, things don’t always turn out the way they are supposed to. As I passed Basilone, the turn off for San Onofre, I see nothing but brake lights staring at me…:Surprised:
I quickly get off at Christianitos, make a u-turn South and hit up San “O”!!
It was now around 11:30 and the high tide was supposed to be 4.70 ft at around 1:00. The tide was rising pretty quick, cause of wave height, but the wind had died down where I would be fishing.
I started fishing and it would be about half an hour before I get that familiar “Thump”, I know what it is and I bring to shore a little 12” flatty. It had so much energy it ended up ripping half it’s mouth off trying to get off the treble. Poor fish, what do you do, I put him back in the water as quickly as possible and he took off.
Another 20 minutes goes by and I get a little bump on my LC, I slow down my retrieve and was rewarded with this little bugger;
http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/ae255/gudgersfishing/Mobile%20Uploads/image-25.jpg

A nice looking little sand bass, maybe 10 inches long. That’s the 3rd sandie I’ve pulled to shore in my last 3 trips.
Back to work,
I was at an area where I have caught numerous fish in the past, today would be no different.
It is now around 12:30 and I was hoping to get something soon, cause I wanted to leave by 1:00 to beat the Friday traffic South.
As I am reeling in my LC 110, in anchovy, I get bumped pretty good, I thought it was some kelp, but then 15 feet from my rod tip I thought I got snagged on a rock…:Confused:
To my surprise something now had my LC and was taking line at an alarming rate… Zzzzzzzzzzz I thought to myself, “ Good thing I just adjusted my drag about 3 or 4 casts earlier”
Half my line was gone and so I decided to try and turn it’s head, the fish kept going, with ease, but decided to head North. I started to follow the fish, hoping I wouldn’t lose it, and was gaining a little ground…
This fish was big and I had a feeling it wasn’t a shark or ray. Five minutes goes by, it seems like forever, and I finally am getting it closer to the shore.
When it is about 10 feet away, I see this “Big *** Tail” come out of the water, but I don’t see the body…:Rolls Eyes:
I am now thinking, “ Okay, either WSB or Halibut”
As I get it a little closer the SOB takes off for another 20 foot drag..Zzzzzzz
I am just itching to see what it is.
After another 10-12 waves goes by, I finally see the bastard...:Smile:
It’s a Big *** WSB!!!!!!
But this sucker isn’t done yet, he continues to pull drag every time a little air hits its body, around 4 more times.
Finally, I get the fish to shore and was totally stoked…..:Shocked:
http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/ae255/gudgersfishing/Mobile%20Uploads/image-24.jpg
http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/ae255/gudgersfishing/Mobile%20Uploads/image-23.jpg
http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/ae255/gudgersfishing/Mobile%20Uploads/image-22.jpg

It taped out at 37”… My new PB…:Big Grin:

After that I looked around and no one was there, so I thought, I thanked The Lord for letting me be in the right place at the right time…:Wink:

I decided to bury the fish in the sand for a bit, cause one thing I have learned is, if there is 1 WSB, there is another.
Well, after fifteen minutes, there was no other. I walked back to the fish, uncovered it and started to wash it off in the water. I was than taken back when someone said, “ What kind of fish is that? “ 2 younger guys had just gotten there and saw me un-earth the fish.
I told them what it was, gave them all the info, and proceeded to haul the fish back to my truck. YES, I KILLED IT & AM GOING TO ENJOY IT!!!!:Twisted:
When I got back to the road, I was completely soaked with sweat. The sun had come out and this fish was starting to get a little heavy.
By the time I arrived at the road there were 10-12 people there all asking me questions about the fish. I asked one person to take a couple of pictures of me with the fish;
http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/ae255/gudgersfishing/Mobile%20Uploads/image-21.jpg
http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/ae255/gudgersfishing/Mobile%20Uploads/image-20.jpg

It was now after 2:00 and I need to get that fish on ice for the ride home.
I no longer cared about the traffic, the heat or anything for that matter. I stopped and got some ice, but before I did, I went back to Anglers to get the weight. Peter gets the scale and it weighs out at 14 pounds 15 ounces!!!
I could have sworn it was heavier, but who cares, it was still a nice fish.

I will not be fishing this weekend or the next, so to everyone,

GOOD LUCK!

Robert
<><

http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/ae255/gudgersfishing/Mobile%20Uploads/image-19.jpg

PONTOON
08-19-2011, 06:39 PM
Robert, Congratulations!:Cool:

Thanks for the heads up on the report. that is one beautiful fish and that was definitely a SWAT fish! Great job!:Thumbs Up::Thumbs Up:

Alright man, you've got me pumped for tomorrow now. My gear is already in the truck and your catch is going to give me inspiration to work the beach as well as I can.

Once again, Great job Robert, Congratulations!

justin oceanside
08-19-2011, 06:40 PM
A legend in the making!!! Nice fish man!! Wish I was there for the ride...nothing like the high you get after landing a monster like that on the tackle we use. Good job brother..you da man!!

Justin

klocked
08-19-2011, 07:42 PM
Holy White SeaBass!! Roberto!!! good freakin job man, thats a nice one, congrats!

I know what you mean about not caring anymore about the traffic
on the way home after catching something nice! Been there a few
times myself!

Thats a beauty! Way to go brotha!

exfactor
08-19-2011, 07:57 PM
NICE FISH OUT OF THE WHITE WATER ROBERT!!! heading up the line tomorrow with WWO Bill 2 c if theres any larger models still lurking up there. I'll report tomorrow. Mikey

TUNAVIC
08-19-2011, 08:04 PM
Very nice Bro! Best eating fish in the Sea,in my opinion, Congrats,great report and pics!

flyngby
08-19-2011, 09:15 PM
Robert,

Those that pound the waters on a constant basis are often rewarded with great catches! Looking forward to see the "Surf WSB King" out in pursuit of an even bigger model! You continue to take the lead in that species count but I think you are getting the attention of a particular SWAT Member that was also hooked into one of that species last weekend and was surprisingly defeated! Some times it happens to the best. :Big Grin:

I put the coordinates you sent into my GPS from your PM and I was lead to a spot in the forest near the 210 and 118 freeways in northern San Fernando Valley???????????? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Enjoy the meal buddy! You are certainly well deserving! :Thumbs Up:

Steve http://planetsmilies.net/person-smiley-1122.gif

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z286/flyngby/WookieWacker.jpg

PS. I am having a senior moment and can't find where you posted a very nice Spotted Bay Bass a few weeks ago in NPH but she was a beauty also! :Not Worthy:

cjmedina
08-19-2011, 09:21 PM
Nice Robert.. looks like the chi pet place in san o.. hope you and the wife enjoy some nice grilled white sea bass

sidified
08-19-2011, 09:30 PM
Outstanding catch, pics and report, Roberto! It always makes me happy when perseverance like yours is rewarded. I just got back from a trip with my youngest, and after getting him checked in down your way at Chapman University, I'll have a great excuse to get down more often...I should be glowing in the dark by Christmas.
Sid

bones
08-19-2011, 10:30 PM
Robert,
For once in my life I'm ALMOST SPEECHLESS :ROFL:
You know that's almost impossible for me too!

You are definately a dedicated fisherman and I'm so stoked that you finally stuck your ever so elusive PB WSB today.
When I talked to you on your drive home I could still hear the adrenalin in your voice from the fight. Fighting that fish on
spinning gear would have given me a serious panic attack but I've seen you in action in the surf and you are no doubt
a "WARRIOR" on the beach!
Keep up the good work my friend....You are making the SWAT team proud!

Looking forward to heading your way this weekend with my son!

Mike

Wingnut
08-19-2011, 10:34 PM
All hail to the Surf WSB King! :Envious: Outstanding job Roberto, you are now the S.W.A.T. Surf WSB record holder... got me by an inch. :Big Grin: I'm going to have to include a S.W.A.T. WSB leaderboard next year just for you. :Wink:

Steve, you had to go and remind me of my recent defeat by one of these brutes... the sting was starting to subside. :LOL:

Well done Robert, hopefully, I'll find my way back into town next weekend and try to pick up where you left off. :Twisted:

Good luck to all who are hitting the surf this weekend... GO Terry (Pontoon) GO!!! :Big Grin:

jerr-dog
08-19-2011, 11:07 PM
Congrats on your new PB. That is nice to get out from the surf.

stressD
08-19-2011, 11:19 PM
congratulations on a very fine catch.

Ifishtoolittle
08-19-2011, 11:44 PM
That is fawking insane! While I'm slaying dink quelicos and Macs from piers Robert is killing DD WSBs from the surf! WTG man I hope your bounty tasted great!

crappiemike
08-20-2011, 01:18 AM
nice fish for sure............

cm

sumojo
08-20-2011, 02:22 AM
Thats Awesome !!!!!!! YEEE Dinner !!!!!!

koifish
08-20-2011, 08:44 AM
Man...that was beautiful fish.

stepchild
08-20-2011, 10:20 AM
REWARDED for all your hard work brotha,.....wtg on the pb wsb,......enjoy that fish,,,,u deserve it..

n1ckxlam
08-20-2011, 11:24 AM
great job Robert!!! sorry i missed out

murrieta angler
08-20-2011, 11:57 AM
Thanks to everyone for their kind words.
After the fish was prepared, I had just over 7 pounds of fillets.
Robert
<><

murrieta angler
08-20-2011, 12:01 PM
Robert,

Those that pound the waters on a constant basis are often rewarded with great catches! Looking forward to see the "Surf WSB King" out in pursuit of an even bigger model! You continue to take the lead in that species count but I think you are getting the attention of a particular SWAT Member that was also hooked into one of that species last weekend and was surprisingly defeated! Some times it happens to the best. :Big Grin:

I put the coordinates you sent into my GPS from your PM and I was lead to a spot in the forest near the 210 and 118 freeways in northern San Fernando Valley???????????? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Enjoy the meal buddy! You are certainly well deserving! :Thumbs Up:

Steve http://planetsmilies.net/person-smiley-1122.gif

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z286/flyngby/WookieWacker.jpg

PS. I am having a senior moment and can't find where you posted a very nice Spotted Bay Bass a few weeks ago in NPH but she was a beauty also! :Not Worthy:

Hey Steve,
You crack me up...:ROFL:
When the season winds down, I know you will be out there catching them also...:Wink:
Why do you feel the need to pour some salt in a still open wound...:LOL:
Those (2) SBB must have been twins, but one was heavier than the other, Thanks.
Robert
<><

bsp
08-20-2011, 04:37 PM
Robert,

I remember talking with you about those WSB during our last trip, and you mentioned that you wanted to catch another legal one. Well, I think that somebody was listening, and it's great to see that the fish you needed to complete your dozen was also your PB! You definitely are the WSB Surf King, and I know you'll catch a 40in+ fish before the year is done. Great job man!

Marc

Which Way Out
08-20-2011, 10:09 PM
NICE FISH OUT OF THE WHITE WATER ROBERT!!! heading up the line tomorrow with WWO Bill 2 c if theres any larger models still lurking up there. I'll report tomorrow. Mikey

Nice report and so much fun when the public pumps you up some.
Like Mikey said WWO aka Bill went up the line Sat. After some needed rest I 'll try to get a post up.
As of right now I am tired and stinky time for a:Bath:

Good work buddy and I like the SWAT hat, where do you get one of those? :Wink:
Goodnite Gracia

CaliButts
08-20-2011, 10:58 PM
OUTSTANDING!!:Cool: Definitely the WSB King!! Congrats!!

jerryG
08-20-2011, 11:11 PM
Awesome report Robert. You stayed the course when most would have just given up after spending the morning fishing in harsh conditions with nothing to show for it but nope you were determined and as a result you earned a well deserved reward. Well done my friend.. You have taken down yet another high profile enemy. So now I know why you have a Team Six tatoo on your stomach.. LOL.. You certainly have a way with the Sea Bass. I have not been able to fish at all lately and these reports are not making the situation any easier. I got to free up some time and get out there.

Jerryg

smokehound
08-21-2011, 12:00 AM
Nice WSB!! Must have been a blast!

iLLest
08-21-2011, 01:14 AM
Roberto,

Once I read the name of the title, I knew exactly what you had caught bro.
Congrats on a beauty of a fish. Im jealous!
Youve had them locked in all year, complete dedication. :Cool:

Awesome job brotha! :Thumbs Up:
see you later.

efishent
08-21-2011, 02:05 PM
Great job on PB!
I relived capturing my PB WSB while reading your post- slow start, kelp, bigger kelp snagged?, RUN, waiting for it to tire, guessing, seeing the fin and two handed grab at the end. Congrads on a great catch of the year ..and it is far from over..

midgettosser1
08-21-2011, 06:52 PM
As if you need to hear it again... Awesome catch!!

saltman
08-21-2011, 09:07 PM
Roberto, Nice catch bro.

Saltman..

murrieta angler
08-22-2011, 07:47 AM
Robert,

I remember talking with you about those WSB during our last trip, and you mentioned that you wanted to catch another legal one. Well, I think that somebody was listening, and it's great to see that the fish you needed to complete your dozen was also your PB! You definitely are the WSB Surf King, and I know you'll catch a 40in+ fish before the year is done. Great job man!

Marc

Hey Marc,
I'll take any big fish I can right now, especially since the flatties to have seemed to leave the southern waters.
40"!?! That would be a Blessing.
Take Care Bro,
Robert
<><

Nice report and so much fun when the public pumps you up some.
Like Mikey said WWO aka Bill went up the line Sat. After some needed rest I 'll try to get a post up.
As of right now I am tired and stinky time for a:Bath:

Good work buddy and I like the SWAT hat, where do you get one of those? :Wink:
Goodnite Gracia

Howdy Bill,
Again, great job with the big WSB. Have you had a chance to eat some of it yet? YUMMY!!!!
Take Care,
Robert
<><

OUTSTANDING!!:Cool: Definitely the WSB King!! Congrats!!

Thank You CB.
Robert
<><

Awesome report Robert. You stayed the course when most would have just given up after spending the morning fishing in harsh conditions with nothing to show for it but nope you were determined and as a result you earned a well deserved reward. Well done my friend.. You have taken down yet another high profile enemy. So now I know why you have a Team Six tatoo on your stomach.. LOL.. You certainly have a way with the Sea Bass. I have not been able to fish at all lately and these reports are not making the situation any easier. I got to free up some time and get out there.

Jerryg

Jerry,
It's been a long time since we hit the surf together Brother,
If you can get out during the week, give me a call, I will take you to the Sacred Grounds...hehe
Robert
<><

Nice WSB!! Must have been a blast!

Hey Smoke,
I will never forget it!
Robert
<><

Roberto,

Once I read the name of the title, I knew exactly what you had caught bro.
Congrats on a beauty of a fish. Im jealous!
Youve had them locked in all year, complete dedication. :Cool:

Awesome job brotha! :Thumbs Up:
see you later.

Francisco,
Next time we go South and you can get yours!
Take Care Bro,
Robert
<><

Great job on PB!
I relived capturing my PB WSB while reading your post- slow start, kelp, bigger kelp snagged?, RUN, waiting for it to tire, guessing, seeing the fin and two handed grab at the end. Congrads on a great catch of the year ..and it is far from over..

Thank You Efishent,
It was a very fun time, till I had to lug it up the trail.
Robert
<><

As if you need to hear it again... Awesome catch!!

Thanks Mike.
Robert
<><

Roberto, Nice catch bro.

Saltman..

Ramiro!?!
Where you been Bro?
This coming weekend should be off the charts.
Robert
<><

SP Dan
08-22-2011, 09:22 AM
"Congratulations" on your PB WSB! Great report! You had me in awh during the entire read! SP Dan <"))><

ScottD
08-22-2011, 09:42 AM
Wow!! Nice fish Robert.. That is one exceptional fish from the beach. Must have been quite the battle on the light line. Way to go. It will be tough to top that one!!! Better get out there and try soon!

skunked again
08-22-2011, 10:24 AM
I religiously read the surf fishing reports you and the SWAT team write. What a great catch and a nice report. Thanks for sharing for those of us who do not go to the saltwater side anymore. I feel land locked here in Riverside!
Looking forward to reading the next surf post!

Native Gal
08-22-2011, 10:35 AM
MA,
CONGRATS!!!!! sweet pb wsb, oh yeah! Can't wait to see what the Baker's dozen brings : )
Thanks for the great read, love the anticipation of the ending.

NG

blackwater
08-27-2011, 05:45 PM
Score!!!! :Applause:
Damn Robert, sweet fish bro, congrats on the PB. I know you'll get an even bigger one soon. :Big Grin: