PDA

View Full Version : Seaward Ave., Ventura: SNGF-WO: 11 Aug

BBL2Baja
08-13-2007, 09:31 AM
Had a family reunion in Ventura this last weekend (of which I am still recovering 8) ). On Saturday morning, me, my Uncle and my Dad all headed out to the end of Seaward Ave. Mind you, my Father lives in the desert, I'm a mountain guy and my uncle is from Wisconsin (walleye/pike/muskie/trout). But, we decided to give surf fishing a try. In my limited exposure from my trips to Baja and reading reports, I knew what would hopefully work. My Uncle had picked up some squid and I had brought some Gulp (Camo sandworms and Natural Sand Fleas) and a large assortment of lures.

I was the first to hookup with a smaller size SNGF and the bite was wide open from there. They bit on all three baits with the frozen squid being the clear favorite. I did some light line stuff to no avail, but was still nailing the guitars on my larger surf pole. My Dad and Uncle had an absolute blast as did I. A lady fishing downsand from us brought in a perch on a sandcrab, but that was the only thing non-SNGF that I saw. If you just want some serious action and nothing to keep, I'd recommend the spot. Even for a total surf-noob like myself I was able to keep a rod bent for most of the session. I don't even know how many total we caught, nothing of any size, but very numerous.

The reunion was a blast too. We set a plot on the beach and it ran from mid-morning all the way to the fireworks show from the Ventura County Fair at 10pm. My daughter learned to boogie-board from her beachbum cousins and we all had a good time. And just a few Coronas. :wink:

Later,
Scott

one_leg
08-13-2007, 11:54 AM
Family= 8)

One_Leg

PS, Nice Report.

Anglerism
08-13-2007, 03:12 PM
I was there on the same day, Saturday, for my brothers Birthday. We were at a park nearby called harbor park. You mentioned you stayed at the end of Seaward Ave? We were about 2 blocks left where you guys were. We had a small picnic at Harbor Park then by sunset, we went to the Ventura Pier where we stayed for the 10pm firework. The view of the firework from the pier was breathtaking. Best spot!! Noone was really catching any fish at the pier. I Caught 1 BSP about the size of my palm but got away as I was realling it in. I don't know if you notice but the water was kinda murky huh? Even from the park, the water was brown. I think that what they call red tide, but it wasn't that bad. I've seen worse. No action after that. Well, good to hear all of you had a blast!

-Anglerism

Wingnut
08-13-2007, 03:38 PM
Good times Scott, thanks for sharing buddy! :wink: