PDA

View Full Version : Question on PROPS.

Pooldude
08-19-2011, 03:45 PM
I am a new boat owner & actually took my boat (TR-186 Triton w/110 Yamaha 4 stroke) out for the first time yesterday. It has the non SS 3 blade standard prop. Once the boat is up on plane it runs just fine, but getting it up on plane is the problem. It just seems like there's too much weight in the rear & the bow just doesn't want to drop even with it trimmed all the way down to start with. It just seems to take too long!

I was told by someone that what I need is a SS 4 blade performance prop to get it out of the hole more quickly. They also said that it might effect the top end, but not all that much & that's fine with me.

I am looking for advice. Thank you.... Jim :???:

trail blazer
08-19-2011, 04:12 PM
look at your prop for #s,,,,,,,,,,,,,,the last 2 numbers is usually the prop pitch,,,,,,,,,,,,,,go to a prop with a lower pitch,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,for instance,,,,,,,,,if your prop is a 18inch prop,,,,,,go to a 16 or16 1/2 inch pitch prop,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,hole shot and plaining out will be much better BUT top end speed will drop slightly,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,BUT BE CAREFULL,,,,,,,,,,Going down too much on pitch will overrev your motor verry easily,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,going down on pitch is the same as going to a lower gear ratio ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,MORE POWER,,LESS SPEED,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

GREAT QUESTION ,,,,BEACUSE PROP PITCH IS ALWAYS THE KEY TO THE BEST PERFORMING MOTOR!

Might also put a hydrofoil stabiliser on the lower unit,,,,,,,,but might not be needed with the right prop!

ALSO,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Remember,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,altit itude kills horse power,,,,,,,,,,,,,,on average every 1000 feet of altitude eats up abought 3% of your horsepower,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,lakes like pyramid will eat up abought 9 % of your power making your boat feel slugish ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

TRAIL BLAZER

Trout-Tuna-For.Me
08-19-2011, 09:16 PM
Hey TB
I thought the prop measurements were the diameter X pitch (inches X number degrees blade is angled).
I had a ski boat with a 150hp Merc Black Max outboard and did the research on better performance from a mid-sized outboard........same prop diameter but a 2 degree pitch difference. The factory aluminum prop was a 14.25 X 17 degree pitch, so I changed it out with a Hill (now named Hill Bronson) stainless prop that was 14.25 x 19. There was a world of difference in performance and I even gained another 7 mhp in the top end. I do also have a hydrofoil on the lower unit and when waterskiing trimming out the motor makes a big difference in starting a skier. At a dead stop sitting in the water I could nail the throttle and the boat would be up on plane within a second.....the thing launched out of the hole like a rocket!
Pooldude, you might want to go to a reputable boat shop and ask about stainless props and explain your problem. After telling them what you have and what your problem is they will be able to come up with the proper remedy. I wouldn't bother with a 4 blade ss prop, I think a 3 blade prop will do the job sufficiently with a hydrofoil attached to the lower unit. Also beware not to over-prop the motor because that will create more wear and tear on the motor and the lower unit.
Boat shows are great places to get info needed too, but talk to someone who really knows the subject. I decided to buy the Hill prop at a boat show after I talked to the owner of the company since most of their products are used for racing, and who would know more about ss props??? Their manufacturing process is different too, which ends up to be a much better product which may cost almost double the price for the cheap ones and have a better guarantee.
My 2 cents worth
TTFM

trail blazer
08-21-2011, 07:15 PM
On pitch the way i understand it is like this,,,,,,,,,a 13 pitch prop will travel 13 inches through a solid medium on a single revolution,,,,,,a 14 pitch will trave 14 inches through it and so on

No doubt a question for a profesional to get all you can get out of that motor,,,,,,,,,ALL GREAT POINTS HERE!!

TRAIL BLAZER

vortec_cruiser
08-21-2011, 08:43 PM
On pitch the way i understand it is like this,,,,,,,,,a 13 pitch prop will travel 13 inches through a solid medium on a single revolution,,,,,,a 14 pitch will trave 14 inches through it and so on

No doubt a question for a profesional to get all you can get out of that motor,,,,,,,,,ALL GREAT POINTS HERE!!

TRAIL BLAZER

This is the way it is. The distance traveled per revolution is under ideal conditions, so actual distance traveled is something slightly different.

kaneo
08-22-2011, 07:50 AM
dont know what your boat is rated for as far as motor size ? but it sounds like its a little underpowered for an 18'-6" boat ? should be running at least a 150 on it. but if your just looking for a better hole shot, get the hydro foil and put that on your motor, and also when giving it full throttle at take off, trim the motor down and that will also get you up on plane a little faster, but as you get on plane trim the motor back up.... you can also play with your trim and see what gives you the best speed and lowest rpm's.. or if you want to spend $300 or $400 for a new prop thats your choice ? but i think you can get away with the hydro foil, and using your trim you should be fine ?

Socal Bassman
08-23-2011, 12:13 AM
All good replies so far, but kaneo brought up a valid point and it sounds like your boat is underpowered. I have a old, heavy Ranger which is 17'10" and is powered by a 150 Merc. IT has no problems getting on plane. Assuming that a new/used motor with at least 150hp is out of the question and top end is not an issue, I would definitely go with a SS 4 blade prop first. IMO, it offers more (performance wise) than just adding a hydro foil. As for prop size, if you're going with a 4 blade, choose a prop with the same size pitch as your current prop. If going with a 3 blade, a prop 1 pitch smaller would probably be better. By looking around, you could find a good used prop for a good price. I bought a 24p Tempest prop in excellent condition from a member on another forum for $200.

Also, how far is the prop shaft below the pad and is your boat equipped with a JP? If your prop shaft is more than 5" below the pad, I would suggest you raise the motor up where the prop shaft is about 3.5" below the pad. Doing so should add some much needed RPM's.