PDA

View Full Version : Boat only goes in reverse!!

JeffO
08-19-2011, 10:05 AM
So I got to the lake yesterday (ditched work to fish....you know how that goes), backed the boat off the trailer, tied it to the dock, parked the truck, got back in the boat, and was ready to go. That is, until I realized that I could only go in REVERSE!!?? Has anybody ever heard of this issue? I have a feeling that one of the steel cables broke or something's going on with the linkage, but I'd hate to start taking stuff apart blindly without getting some advice first.

Details:
When it's in neutral: Slow idle in reverse
Driving "forward": Accelerates in reverse
Driving "backward": Accelerates in reverse
Motor: 175 HP Mercury Outboard (built in 1997)
Boat: Pro Craft 185 Dual Pro bass boat

Any kind of info you might have would be really appreciated.

The good news is that I caught about 20 around the launch ramp.... At least I can count on my new Minn Kota :)

vortec_cruiser
08-19-2011, 11:20 AM
Have someone watch the controls on the motor as you move the control lever from neutral to forward to neutral and to reverse. If the controls on the motor are working as they should, then you know it's in the motor and not the control cables. It gives you a starting point.

SDDave
08-19-2011, 09:16 PM
Call the anchor marine in reseada, or in Castaic, lakeside marine, sounds like it's time to replace both throttle and shift cable, I'm sure you have the commander 3000 remote, I've done mine myself with help from my son, it's a bear to get back behind the remote and get it lined back in to the shifter, your looking at least 3 to 4 hours shop labor.
Though it could be easy as the shift linkage in the motor popped off, pull the cowling and take a look before you get started.

JeffO
08-21-2011, 12:26 PM
Thanks for the thoughts, guys! Dave, you're right about it being the Commander 3000. I'm gonna have the job quoted tomorrow at a local service center....hopefully it's not gonna cost me an arm and a leg :/

fishfinder
08-22-2011, 05:09 PM
Thanks for the thoughts, guys! Dave, you're right about it being the Commander 3000. I'm gonna have the job quoted tomorrow at a local service center....hopefully it's not gonna cost me an arm and a leg :/

Break
Out
Another
Thousand

JeffO
08-22-2011, 05:16 PM
Break
Out
Another
Thousand

hahaha way too true!! Combine that with.....

Bank
Account
Slowly
Subsides

....and you're one poor S.O.B.

BUT a good day of fishing makes the mind forget :)

Sparky70
08-22-2011, 05:42 PM
Why pay 18 grand for a boat u only use 4 or 5 times a year? Don't make sence to me !

JeffO
08-22-2011, 05:47 PM
Why pay 18 grand for a boat u only use 4 or 5 times a year? Don't make sence to me !

If you only take an $18K boat out 4 days a year, I agree -- get rid of it! I really try taking mine out weekly