PDA

View Full Version : First Surf Perch: Carlsbad Beach

Yellow Dog
08-18-2011, 06:42 PM
Today was my first time trying to surf fish. No real idea what I am doing but managed to catch my first fish. Carlsbad Beach caught on a gulp watermelon grub. Tried oil colored, and black grubs for nothing. Also tried sand crabs for nothing. There were sand crabs everywhere. If you have any ideas for me to get better please let me know. YD

Yellow Dog
08-18-2011, 06:45 PM
Can't figure how to load picture.

bones
08-18-2011, 07:14 PM
WARNING....You are about to start something that is very addicting......SW fishing is so nuts....You never know what you are going to catch...LOL

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?14334-Surf-Fishing-101-The-Basics

Yellow Dog
08-18-2011, 07:59 PM
Thanks for the great link. YD

stressD
08-19-2011, 12:10 AM
I just started surf fishing as well and reading through all the previous posts helped immensely, especially the thread linked above by bones. I started out using gulp sandworm camo and sandcrabs and they seem to work well for me. here's one tip that I pickup from this forum that hasn't failed me yet. for perch cast out about 10 to 50 feet and slow retrieve with intermittent pauses and you should feel taps. I'm still working on this part but I was told not to hard set the hook as you would freshwater fishing but give it a slow pull. for other species like yfc, cast out a little further using the same technique. I hope this helps a little. from one newbie to another, good luck.

murrieta angler
08-19-2011, 06:35 PM
Hey Yellow,
Congrats on your first, of many!
Robert
<><