PDA

View Full Version : Lake Norconian Question

sevenout
08-18-2011, 03:14 PM
After a so-so day at Prado (four bass caught), my buddy and I decided to check out Lake Norconian. My buddy was honorably discharged from the Marines (Vietnam-2 Purple Hearts). The gate guard directed us to an admin office for permitting. Guy at the desk said that my friends VA card was not enough, and that he needed a 'military I.D'. He directed us to another office to speak to someone else about getting the proper I.D. The clerk said that in order to get this ID card you needed to be either active-retired or in the military reserve. A bit of confusion as we thought the main criteria to getting access to the lake is that you just had to be former military.

Well after our disapointment, we drove down to check out the lake and salivated for awhile and left.

Any insight or info on how a discharged service man can get access? Or are we just out of luck? Thanks.

TheAsianGuy
08-18-2011, 04:57 PM
Father-in-laws (army), honorably discharged and retired got his ID from the local BX/VX bases, and a few coworkers, retired and honorably discharged from marine, got their IDs without any issue. If one base don't offer ID, move to the next. Plenty of bases around here that will offer the discharged vets with proper ID.

sevenout
08-19-2011, 12:30 AM
Thanks much-I'll pass the info on to my buddy.

jeepnkal
08-25-2011, 12:39 PM
Father-in-laws (army), honorably discharged and retired got his ID from the local BX/VX bases, and a few coworkers, retired and honorably discharged from marine, got their IDs without any issue. If one base don't offer ID, move to the next. Plenty of bases around here that will offer the discharged vets with proper ID.

What you guys are missing is you must be retired or active duty. Just because you did a little time in the military doesnt give you access to bases and base ammenities for life, thats only the case when you retire.

TheAsianGuy
08-25-2011, 02:37 PM
What you guys are missing is you must be retired or active duty. Just because you did a little time in the military doesnt give you access to bases and base ammenities for life, thats only the case when you retire.

True to a certain point. My brother-in-law got discharged, and still get accesses to bases, after receiving his IDs. One of my friend in the Army Ranger just got discharged for completing 6 tours, and got his ID.

jeepnkal
08-25-2011, 02:51 PM
True to a certain point. My brother-in-law got discharged, and still get accesses to bases, after receiving his IDs. One of my friend in the Army Ranger just got discharged for completing 6 tours, and got his ID.

Thier must be sircumstances to them still having Id's after being discharged.

1. They still have IRR time and therefore still have obligated service.

2. Recieved disability w/ privelages.

Other than that, they shouldnt have ID's.

jeepnkal
08-25-2011, 02:55 PM
Let me add; you are not authorized access to bases just for having a Honorable discharge.

TheAsianGuy
08-25-2011, 03:12 PM
Not sure what the circumstances were/are. But:

1. Naval discharge was 6 years ago. Army Ranger was a year ago. They were discharged, went to one of the base that they stationed at, got their IDs.

2. None was disabled during the tours, so..disability with privileges. Not sure about that.

So..how they got their IDs, not sure. Why? Definitely don't know. Just recapping what transpired. If you're part of the military branch that knows about that, might want to query other branches that may have some additional insights?

MarkyMark
08-25-2011, 05:29 PM
You stated both were retired thus they earned a retired ID..What's the confusion here?

MM
RETIRED AIR FORCE

TheAsianGuy
08-25-2011, 05:36 PM
MarkyMark, I'm confused myself when jeepnkal indicated honorable discharge is different than retirement, thus, ID cannot be issued. I believe that's where the confusions lay. Thanks for clearing it up Mark.

Jeremy Wade Jr
08-25-2011, 06:17 PM
An IRR (Individual Ready Reserve) card still gives you access to on-base privileges. I got mine as soon as I was honorably discharged from the Navy and received my DD-214. If your friend still has inactive duty on his original contract then he is still eligible to receive an IRR card by visiting one of the major military bases nearby where they issue CAC cards to military personnel. I got mines at Camp Pendleton.

P.S. Is the fishing at Lake Narconian any good? This is my first time hearing of it, I had no idea there was a military base there.. my base sticker and IRR card don't expire until 2012. Are there any other military hot spots in the area? I totally forgot about Naval Weapons Station, Seal Beach as well.. Does anybody know if you're allowed to fish there?

jeepnkal
08-25-2011, 06:27 PM
An IRR (Individual Ready Reserve) card still gives you access to on-base privileges. I got mine as soon as I was honorably discharged from the Navy and received my DD-214. If your friend still has inactive duty on his original contract then he is still eligible to receive an IRR card by visiting one of the major military bases nearby where they issue CAC cards to military personnel. I got mines at Camp Pendleton.

P.S. Is the fishing at Lake Narconian any good? This is my first time hearing of it, I had no idea there was a military base there.. my base sticker and IRR card don't expire until 2012. Are there any other military hot spots in the area? I totally forgot about Naval Weapons Station, Seal Beach as well.. Does anybody know if you're allowed to fish there?

Dude, fish Oneil on Pendleton. Its going off!

jeepnkal
08-25-2011, 06:36 PM
MarkyMark, I'm confused myself when jeepnkal indicated honorable discharge is different than retirement, thus, ID cannot be issued. I believe that's where the confusions lay. Thanks for clearing it up Mark.

Yup, my bad. I forgot about the "retirement" in your post. We commonly refer to someone who is retired as retired. discharged isnt wrong, but used in another way.

I was more referring to the original poster. It doesnt sound like his friend is retired, just received and Honorable, which would not make him eligible for base access.