PDA

View Full Version : Experience with restoring a submerged boat?

Big Bear Legal Eagle
08-18-2011, 02:23 PM
I have a 21' 1992 Howard Whaler (Center console) with a 502/Bravo that I keep up at a marina in Big Bear. My son went up there a couple of weeks ago and found it sinking in its slip with only the stern dock lines keeping it from sinking entirely. The Marina has insisted the cause was "rain." How does 1" of rain sink a boat covered with a canvas cover that seats 10 -12 you might ask? I sure did.
I'm pretty sure it was a failed bellow since a failed bellow has been found to be the cause of 75% of boats with Mercruiser I/O boats that have sunk in a slip. The bellow was allegedly inspected annually, but it had not been replaced during the six years it had been serviced at Big Bear. I'm pretty sure that in the rush to get all of the boats launched this spring, the mechanic's "comprehensive" servicing did not include a thorough inspection of the bellow with the outdrive removed. Based on my review of the literature, the bellow should be replaced on an I/O at least every 5 years, particularly if the boat is kept in a slip during the season.
Upon discovery the boat was pumped and pulled and the engine is up and running without any apparent problems. Because the console is mid-boat and elevated, those electronics remained dry. The issue is that there is at least $2700 in electrons replacement including the batteries, starter motor and solenoid, main breaker, blower, trim tab pump, trim motor, alternator, bilge pump, battery switch, tilt motor and alternator.
My question is whether anyone has any experience with restoring a boat which had been submerged and whether corrosion eventually wins the battle? Before submersion it was worth $11,000 according to NADA, but I don't need to throw good money after bad.... Your thoughts?

Sparky70
08-18-2011, 07:04 PM
I'd say go out and buy a new boat !

SDDave
08-20-2011, 12:55 PM
I apologize for scanning though this so if I missed this, do you have insurance?
I know my boat and I think most policies are written for replacement value.
Turn it in, and see what can be done.
Other than that, you've done the math on what it would cost.
Good luck and I hope it works out for you do you can get back on the water soon.

Big Bear Legal Eagle
08-22-2011, 10:19 AM
Unfortunately I only had liability insurance because my carrier would not offer property damage on boats older than 15 years.

heydaad
08-22-2011, 09:23 PM
Be glad you weren't in salt water ... pull the boat, trailer it, and get to a flat land dealership. BB dealers do not have the expertise you need. Your insurance doesn't cover such conditions! Don't leave the boat in the water yearlong ... unless you can service it yourself.

Big Bear Legal Eagle
08-25-2011, 03:30 PM
You are so right!!
I used to have it exclusively serviced at Teague Marine in Valencia which is the Rolls Royce of marine service centers. The folks at BB are good people but the first two weeks of May they are de-winterizing and launching hundreds of boats and are just not taking the time to provide thorough servicing. The charge me for servicing the u-joint each year and for $30 parts and an extra half hour of labor they could have been regularly replacing the bellow. Additionally, because I have a very low trailer, each winter they store it with the outdrive in an "up" position. I have done a lot of research and I now know a LOT more about Mercruiser I/O bellow maintinance. If your boat is slipped, the u-joint bellow should be replaced annually. It was an expensive and frustrating lesson.
Since the 502 engine looks like it's up and running without incident, I'm just thinking about agreeing to sign the boat over for the outstanding $1,200 balance because they can fix it up at wholesale and easily recoup their money.
My next boat will be an 18' Bass Buggy with a 40 HP. Besides a boat capable of 75 mph is a little overkill for BB. :-)

vanillagurilla
08-25-2011, 04:17 PM
screw that bro, bring the boat down here to the flat land, get it running and sell it for 5k.

Big Bear Legal Eagle
09-03-2011, 09:44 AM
Finally decided just to cut our losses and buy a new fully-equiped Bennington 17 SLi Pontoon Boat with a 40hp Big Foot engine, trolling motor, fish finder and removable front fishing chair. It's pretty much the perfect set-up for our purposes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjCqDHo-NPU

Sublime-Steve
10-03-2011, 08:52 AM
Nice to see you got a new boat, looks niiiiice!