PDA

View Full Version : what's the best way to rig ghost shrimp?

KeoniThames
08-18-2011, 12:33 PM
Never used them before, but I Just got a pump. And can I use them in the surf? Or are they better applied in bays?

jerr-dog
08-18-2011, 01:12 PM
X2 I wonder the same myself. Anyone? I want to get a slurp gun & attempt to get some for one of my next kayak sessions. Keoni what kind of pump are you referring to?

LBSea
08-18-2011, 01:15 PM
You want to hook through the tail not the body or they will die instantly. I go in from the bottom turn the hook and back out the tail. Use light wire hooks like the Muto Light Circle hooks and a sliding egg or light split shot. Try to stay with light line this is not a hunk of squid and is better presented as a finess bait. There is no doubt that you will rip a few off when you cast out until you get the hang of this bait. They are very delicate but also very deadly. I try to lob cast rather than really whip the cast. If you see two splashs when casting you have lost your bait. Keep an eye out for this on every cast or you WILL be fishing without bait. As far as surf fishing they can be used but the current and wave action will dictate how well they work.

A little tip too - break off the male claws, makes them look like females and also takes away there defense. Sounds funny but I have see crawdads hold off bass with their claws.

There is a saying what fish eats Ghost Shrimp. The answer is what ever gets there first! Corbina are my target species when I use them.

Tight Lines and good luck.

smokehound
08-18-2011, 01:28 PM
Poke the hook into the final tail-plate before the fins, and bring it through until you reach the thorax. You want the barb poking out of the bottom of the thorax. When done correctly, the shrimp will be curled-up.

Everyone usually pinches the large claw off, however I just leave it on.

KeoniThames
08-18-2011, 01:35 PM
Jerr- I was referring to a slurp gun actually. Lb-you say I should light line them, assuming 4-8 lb, but do You think I should fly line them? Or I've heard of some people drop shotting them too. What's your thoughts?

LBSea
08-18-2011, 01:52 PM
Jerr- I was referring to a slurp gun actually. Lb-you say I should light line them, assuming 4-8 lb, but do You think I should fly line them? Or I've heard of some people drop shotting them too. What's your thoughts?

Fly line is OK just watch out I have been pumping shrimp and had a flock of shore birds following me the whole time. Birds will steel this bait if it stays on the surface too long. Drop Shot would be a great way to fish this bait. I have drop shot this bait from my float tube and killed it. 4-8lb will work I would use 6lb and call it a day. This bait will attract all kinds of fish including Halibut, Sea Bass & Huge Corbina not to mention every perch & croaker within a 5 mile radius.

PM me if you are interested and I will give you my best tip of all for Ghost Shrimp. I am not willing to let all 5000+ readers know everything.