PDA

View Full Version : 8-17-11 Report...The Good, the Bad, and the Cute??!

man0fsteel
08-17-2011, 10:40 PM
I ended up going out tonight for all of 40 minutes (sorry Jerr-dog, it was spur of the moment). I dropped my son off at his boy scouts meeting at 7:00 pm and headed over to 26th Street, Manhattan Beach. No street parking so I could only fish until 8 as that's when the parking lot closes.

Ah, what a great night! Very little wind, not a cloud in the sky, a beautiful sunset forming and a nice looking low tide. What to fish? Carolina rig with sand crabs for a corbina? Nah, let's try the LC.

The new whippier rod definitely casts the LC further out than my bass rod, a respectable 30 yards or so - I can live with that! But hoo boy, my old 2500 needs some TLC...felt like there was line wrapped under the spool, but there wasn't. Oh well. Checked out the swimming action on the LC and now I understand what everyone has been saying...that thing can really be reeled in s-l-o-w. So I'm practicing what Bones suggested and I'm trying to feel when the lure bumps the bottom. Next thing I know, I've got a fresh one on!

Seems small, because it's not fighting much...bsp maybe? I'm backing it up out of the surf and while it wasn't fighting very hard, it wasn't coming as easily as I would have thought. When the last wave finally receded I saw the good, the bad and the cute.

The Good: Yes! A bat ray! The stink from el skunko from the last 2 outings was off. :Big Grin:

The Bad: Dang, it was foul hooked in the wing :Crying:

The Cute: This lil guy was so small, I think it could have fit in my saltwater tank. The picture with the LC in it really shows how little this guy was. He couldn't have been more than 12 inches from wing tip to wing tip. :whistle:

Here are some pics...sorry for the quality. They were taken with my phone.

Thanks to Bones on the detailed tips on how to fish the LC! Great instructions for a newb.

That's all for now. Hoping for a good weekend!

murrieta angler
08-18-2011, 08:23 AM
Howdy MOS,
You will see that most rays are " foul Hooked '" I think it's the way they attack their food and that's why the wing hook.
Thanks for the report,
Robert
<><

jerr-dog
08-18-2011, 01:27 PM
Yhea nice report & no prob. I ended up at a buddies watching the Angels game & having a brew. Cheers

man0fsteel
08-18-2011, 01:30 PM
Yhea nice report & no prob. I ended up at a buddies watching the Angels game & having a brew. Cheers

I went to the Angels game on Monday...Looks like our season is toast. Unfortunately, VW is turning out to be more like Mo Vaughn instead of Vladdy Guerrero.