PDA

View Full Version : Treasure Lakes Bishop

shooter
08-17-2011, 01:08 PM
Hi Guys
I packed into Treasure lakes on horseback last year and am thinking of walking in there next year. I think the nearest trailhead is South Lake but can't find any maps. Does anyone know where a trout bum from England can find a trail map of the area. I'm also thinking of revisiting MacGee Creek and Convict Creek, any advice on good spots, access details and maps would be greatly appreciated. It's 6,500 miles from home to fish here so I wanna get it right. I'll gladly reciprocate if I can with details of fishing in my home country, England.
Regards
Shooter

jerr-dog
08-17-2011, 01:47 PM
Nice. I don't know where to get the map perhaps R.E.I ? But Treasure lakes is where I caught my very first fish EVER & was a Golden Trout in my avitar. Was very special being up there & I did make the hike up there no horses for us. I will be going back to Bishop next month on Sept 16th. Will be hiking & staying at Long Lake this year. Good luck & tight lines.

shooter
08-17-2011, 02:17 PM
JD Thanks for that, who is R.E.I. As I said we rode up to Treasure Lakes on horse back and it was pure torture ( Exhilirating,beautiful and cowboyesque but bloody torture......I couldn't walk proper for three days ) We started from Parchers much lower than South lake and couldn't judge where the two trails meet. Is it easy or hard going from the South lake trailhead, how long's it take, do we need to camp the night. Anyone know best access points for MacGee Creek and Convict Creek. Any trail maps available on line. Trout Bum from England who loves the High Country,you're so lucky to live so close. Shooter.

teejay
08-17-2011, 06:25 PM
Shooter,
The Inyo National Forest has a simple brochure and map posted online of the Bishop Pass/ Treasure Lake trail:
http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5195703.pdf
The two lower Treasure Lakes can be reached easily by day hikers. The upper Treasures are fishless. If you camp overnight you need a wilderness permit (check the website of the Inyo National Forest for details).
The rangers station closest to your area of interest is located in the town of Bishop (they have a variety of more detailed maps and guide books for purchase):
White Mountain Ranger Station
760-873-2500
760-873-2501 TDD
798 North Main Street
Bishop, CA 93514
Summer Hours: 8:00am-5:00pm, 7 days a week

Hope this helps.

shooter
08-18-2011, 10:06 AM
T J Great, many thanks for that, pleased to see Treasure lakes are exactly where I remembered they were(Google Earth has them in another county ! ). You seem to know the area well,how long to reach lower Treasure lake from trailhead at South lake carrying waders and rods etc.
Tight lines
Shooter

GotBass?
08-18-2011, 11:05 AM
shooter, check out Tom Harrison Maps Mono Divide High Country Trail Map. The topo covers from South Lake to Rock Creek Lake. McGee Creek, Pine Creek and Rock Creek are also on there.

I was just up at Parchers and know they carry that map. There is also a Visitor Center in Lone Pine that carries the map.

teejay
08-19-2011, 10:27 AM
T J Great, many thanks for that, pleased to see Treasure lakes are exactly where I remembered they were(Google Earth has them in another county ! ). You seem to know the area well,how long to reach lower Treasure lake from trailhead at South lake carrying waders and rods etc.
Tight lines
Shooter

Well, it depends on a lot of factors. I’m in fair shape and as I recall, it takes me around two hours to reach the lakes -not packing in waders. The trailhead is approximately 10,000 ft. elevation with another 1,000 ft. or so of elevation gain. The air is thin up there so if you go charging up the trail you can risk getting altitude sickness. Get an early start, stay well hydrated, and take your time.
The map that gotbass mentions is pretty good for the backcountry but unfortunately only shows the most upper portions of some of the creeks you plan on visiting.
Also, I’m sending a message to your inbox.

Natural Lefty
08-19-2011, 10:21 PM
Shooter, I hve also been to Treasure Lakes, but it was a long time ago. As I recall, the trailhead is actually around 9,600 feet and lower Treasure Lakes around 10,600. Either way, it is about a 1,000 foot rise to the lakes, and about 2.5 miles, so it's a pretty good hike.

The lakes all had Goldens when I was there. However, since that time, some nitwit airplanted Rainbows into the lower lakes, so most of the fish are hybrids now. Also, they gill-netted the upper lakes for the Mountain Yellow -Legged Frogs to live in. In my opinion, it is likely that there are still fish in the upper lakes and they may make a comeback, because they were also in the creek, and it's difficult for me to comprehend how they could so thoroughly have eliminated the fish from the lakes 3-5 in the basin.