PDA

View Full Version : Silverwood 8/13 Late Report

a321eric
08-17-2011, 01:01 AM
Went out on Saturday for a friendly tournament. It was a tough bite out there.....if you wanted to catch keepers anyway. 85% of the fish caught were all shorts....mostly dinks to say the least. Managed to get myself 1 fish to weigh in. Only a 2 people had limits and the rest either had 1 or none. Was able to get bit on any soft plastic I threw but couldn't quite find anything that would catch keepers consistently.....then to top it off after a so-so day of fishing the DFG guy came around and started antagonizing us. Checked license, measured fish, checked for papers to allow us to tournament fish. Then once he realized we were legitimate in anyway possible started to act "cool" with us. Hope others had better luck than us. Would like to hear if anyone else if slayin'em at the WOOD!!!!

Eric

AbsolutePig
08-17-2011, 01:09 AM
Well that sucks...thanks for the report. I've been dying to get up there. I think I'm going to shore it on a wed or thursday when the park is closed. Was there lots of lice on the water? I dont want to deal with skiers and all that other crap. I tried to get caping reservations on the weekends and they are booked solid foe like the next 2 months.....ridiculous!

a321eric
08-17-2011, 01:35 AM
Ya there were a bunch of inconsiderate people if thats what your asking. :] Going 35 in a no wake zone...oh ya...Ha we started in Miller and Cleghorn early then once the jet skiers came on the water we moved around. But ya that place was a mad house.

seal
08-17-2011, 08:29 AM
It's been slow on LMB for me on plastics for a while now, best fish I've caught recently have been on topwater but few and far between.

Hopefully as summer draws down crowds disperse water cools things will pick back up, the stripers busted for only a couple minutes outside of my range last night but looked to be bigger fish, I skunked in 2 hours of evening topwater fishing.

teejay
08-17-2011, 10:33 AM
I wasn't there so I don't now about the demeanor of that DFG warden but, guys, it just sounds like they were doing their job. It may be an inconvenience but in the long run we all win. Any how, Eric, I'm not harping on you; sorry the day didn't work out as well as you hoped.

ordane
08-17-2011, 11:14 AM
I've yet to fish Silverwood. Typically stick to the free lakes and creeks in the mountains.. What is the charges for getting in and do you have to pay extra to fish?

I won't fish Jurupa since they charge extra to fish(on top of of entrance) even if you have a state license!

jpod
08-17-2011, 11:47 AM
worst lake for shore fishing in my opinoin espesually if u fishing for the lrg mouths hahah perrty nice cats in ther tho

seal
08-17-2011, 12:11 PM
worst lake for shore fishing in my opinoin espesually if u fishing for the lrg mouths hahah perrty nice cats in ther tho

Ok so you really haven't fished Silverwood much? Largemouth can be fantastic earlier in the year before crowds intensify and water warmed. Problem with many is they fish the easy to get to spots and don't put time in on the lake, if you are after instant gratification then try somewhere else.

seal
08-17-2011, 12:12 PM
I've yet to fish Silverwood. Typically stick to the free lakes and creeks in the mountains.. What is the charges for getting in and do you have to pay extra to fish?

I won't fish Jurupa since they charge extra to fish(on top of of entrance) even if you have a state license!

$10.00 entry fee if you don't have an anual pass, no fishing charge. You can also park on the road and hike in at anytime for free (24hrs).

a321eric
08-17-2011, 12:55 PM
Ya I understand where your coming from teejay, I know the DFG guy was doing his job but the way he approached us and the attitude he had toward us was not right. I know for a fact that 70% of the people shore fishing or out there on boats do not have a license and are keeping "short" fish. So for him to hassle us was kind of a joke. I know its his job but there are bigger fish to fry in my opinion.

But yeah Silverwood is one of my favorite lakes to fish, I mean its not DVL but just like Seal said if you put in the time you can find quality fish just like at any other lake.

ordane
08-17-2011, 01:48 PM
Nice! Thanks Seal. I am up that way all the time... I may have to put that adventure pass to use

want2fishmore
08-17-2011, 02:49 PM
Went up there yesterday. Fished from 4:30pm - 5:45pm off of the marina closer to the west side. Used NC and mackeral. Not even a bite. A gentleman next to me caught a 1lb cat. Went to Cleghorn on the west side of swim beach. Caught a dink smb on a flylined fluke. Lot's of huge carp jumping.

a321eric
08-17-2011, 04:14 PM
It was probably a large mouth. There are no Smallies in there :/

want2fishmore
08-17-2011, 05:19 PM
It was probably a large mouth. There are no Smallies in there :/

Oops, don't know the different species very well. The mouth of it was small and didn't open very wide. And the entire body was a nice green color with no markings of any sort.

seal
08-17-2011, 06:31 PM
What smallmouth in Silverwood? We could only wish. Silverwood has very healthy LMB's, I love that lake!

a321eric
08-17-2011, 08:55 PM
It could've been a spotty.....not.

AbsolutePig
08-18-2011, 11:27 AM
It could've been a spotty.....not.

I threw in a few Spotties and Smallies about 4 years ago when I was there last........shhh don't tell anyone. Maybe they've finally reproduced!!!

seal
08-18-2011, 01:03 PM
I threw in a few Spotties and Smallies about 4 years ago when I was there last........shhh don't tell anyone. Maybe they've finally reproduced!!!

Ya never know I got a 2 lbs brown last year and they were supposed to be gone from the drawdown, might have been a planting mistake or possibly washed down from the creeks.

bassman909
08-19-2011, 07:55 AM
I have fished the wood for a long time, mostely from shore as i dont have a boat and the rentals their suck lol! But i have had great success from shore near the swim beach cleghorn and many other places including some hard to reach hike in spots. The lake dosent give up her secrets easily gotta put in work their. If anyone needs a buddy to fish with hit me up would really like to fish it from a boat.

mxwrench
08-22-2011, 08:30 AM
I have fished the wood for a long time, mostely from shore as i dont have a boat and the rentals their suck lol! But i have had great success from shore near the swim beach cleghorn and many other places including some hard to reach hike in spots. The lake dosent give up her secrets easily gotta put in work their. If anyone needs a buddy to fish with hit me up would really like to fish it from a boat.
I fish the wood almost weekly and 99% of the time go solo, so I usually have an open back seat. Bassman909, seal, etc. you guys are always welcome to join. In fact I am looking for a non-boat partner to fish the upcoming seasons ABA tournaments with starting in November. I usually fish every other Friday and alternate Saturdays so feel free to PM me. This coming weekend I will be fishing Saturday 8/27.
BK

bassman909
08-22-2011, 12:35 PM
Hey mxwrench what do you mean by a non boat partner would to get into some turneys thats always been a dream of mine pm me, thinking about hitting the wood a little later today just real tough their right now.