PDA

View Full Version : Questions about float tubing Dana Point/Doheny

That Dang Guy
08-16-2011, 07:15 PM
I'll be in the area for the rest of the week and I want to try to float the salt for the first time. Im very comfortable in the lake, but I /don't know how or where to launch in the bay. I plan on throwing jerk baits and smaller plastics.

Im definitely not looking for gps coordinates of your honey holes. Part of the fun for me to breaking down areas. Any advice on where to park and general productive patterns or areas would be greatly appreciated.

I guess parking and a safe launching location is what I'm real after.

I'll be taking pictures of my adventure and a report will be posted during the weekend.... That is if I make it out alive.

Thanks,

evosamurai
08-16-2011, 07:46 PM
you wont....sharks run the area you'll get eaten

Viejo
08-16-2011, 08:29 PM
Park at baby beach in DP and launch. Just fishing the harbor will give your legs a real workout. If you are really adventuresome...kick over to just outside the surfline at Doheny. You will be pleasantly surprised.

That Dang Guy
08-16-2011, 10:50 PM
@Evo. LOL at least i'll have a fish story.

@Viejo. I'm actually camping at Doheny from weds-friday. Is it possible to launch a tube from shore? I'll probably end up launch out of baby beach to get my sea legs.

Thanks for the tips.

smokehound
08-16-2011, 11:12 PM
Float-tubing the surf is a no-no. You will be at the mercy of the ocean. Not to mention your dangling, flippered feet basically turns you into a giant fishing lure..

Kayaking, or paddleboarding is a better idea.

Viejo
08-17-2011, 08:09 AM
Not sure that I would launch from the beach at Doho but you could walk over the jetty into the harbor. The launch ramp is pretty close. Problem with the tube in the surf is that you present a pretty good surface area and will get pushing around or turn turtle in even pretty small surf. Coming back in would present the same problem.

TheAsianGuy
08-17-2011, 01:04 PM
Float-tubing the surf is a no-no. You will be at the mercy of the ocean. Not to mention your dangling, flippered feet basically turns you into a giant fishing lure..

LMAO...ohh..I'm at your mercy of humor. I nearly grab my heart and fall down with a seizure after reading that comment. I always joked with my kids about using them as fish baits if they don't behave, but someone actually volunteering to become a shark's lure. TDG, make sure you have someone record your attempt to fish! This will be an epic of Man vs. Fish adventure after you return from the hospital, legs-less, and may be butt-less :ROFL:

LBSea
08-17-2011, 04:06 PM
You may want to double check but I am not sure if you are allowed to float tube INSIDE Dana Point harbor. You can always take a drive nrth to Newport and kick some spotty ***.

smokehound
08-17-2011, 04:55 PM
You may want to double check but I am not sure if you are allowed to float tube INSIDE Dana Point harbor. You can always take a drive nrth to Newport and kick some spotty ***.Now that you mention it, I've never ever seen a tuber in there.

fishtales
08-17-2011, 11:38 PM
lmao...ohh..i'm at your mercy of humor. I nearly grab my heart and fall down with a seizure after reading that comment. I always joked with my kids about using them as fish baits if they don't behave, but someone actually volunteering to become a shark's lure. Tdg, make sure you have someone record your attempt to fish! This will be an epic of man vs. Fish adventure after you return from the hospital, legs-less, and may be butt-less :rofl:

too funny, i'm about to roll out of my chair in hysterical laughter.

Dmax
08-20-2011, 08:44 PM
Newport is the bomb. Check the tide report and go from there. Brought home some fish tacos 2 weeks ago. Big ole Bass. Also been hitting some legal Hali's out of there.