PDA

View Full Version : Need local spots to fish to break a guys skunk!

CastMan
08-16-2011, 08:14 AM
Now I know with the time of the year and especially with the dropping water temperature local fishing spots aren't really producing and a lot of us are already going rockfishing. Well whatever the case I'm planning on going out possibly later this week with my brother in law who by the way been skunked since he got his boat back in June (he's new to it all so let's give him a bit of a break) and with the year going the way it is I'm trying to figure out what I can do to put him on some fish. We'll be launching from the Cabrillo marina in San Pedro so it's gonna be local and if anyone could help point me in the right direction I'd really appreciate it. If anyone's been out in the LB/LA area by all means give me some idea where to take him p-l-e-a-s-e!!! Thank you all and good luck out there!!! :)

greenbean
08-19-2011, 12:17 PM
Federal Breakwall or Horseshoe Kelp?

Psycho_fish'r
08-19-2011, 12:25 PM
Federal Breakwall or Horseshoe Kelp?

What greenbeen said. The kelp beds off PV is always productive. The Federal wall can be good, but it's been really tough the past two weeks. I'll be out at either or both this weekend. Good luck!

CastMan
08-19-2011, 05:45 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. I've fished all the above and figured they would be target spots. Probably hit up the breakwall first and throw some 3" big hammers and see what happens then maybe scoot on over to the Horseshoe then depending on what happens maybe cruise on up towards Bunkers and see what's going on. We're not going until Monday so maybe I'll see you out there Psycho? By the way anyone know if the bait receiver still has fresh dead squid?

TUNAVIC
08-19-2011, 08:16 PM
Theres many stones and reefs outside Cabrillo,rockpile 7minute wreck,ect,many of spots like these may produce from a few fish to a wide open bite.Or just go up the line along the coast,fish the edges of the kelp line and or meter just outside of them and you should do well on sandies,calicos,sculpin ect..
On a private boat you kinda have to hit alot of spots for maybe a few fish on each spot,and then if everything is just right,time,tide,current,Jackpot! You just gotta keep trying! Wish you the best.

CastMan
08-19-2011, 09:41 PM
Thanks for the great tips TUNAVIC! By any chance do you have coordinates for some of those reefs? I have heard of and fished the "rockpile" from a party boat and know it's not far off of Cabrillo I just don't know the coordinates. Thanks again bud! Much appreciated!!!