PDA

View Full Version : Stripers schools spooky on the surface

Slater
08-15-2011, 07:18 PM
Got a question for you guys... I paddle around Skinner frequently and have been getting into schools of surfacing stripers which have cooperated and gobbled up my fluke or sammy flung into the middle of them. Not too spooky as some schools I have run into back into the early spring.
...NOW my question, I brought my similiar techniques for my maiden voyage out at DVL last thursday to go for bigger fish and was blessed with finding a nice school of striper surfacing out in the middle of the lake, paddled to them first cast, wham!! nice stripe went 4 lbs.. then I followed the school stealthy casting in them/in front of them/ around them/ changing offerings (fluke, sammy, spook, spoon, jerk) and no more bites, and I must have stayed on the school for a good 3/4 to 1 mile. They would spook extremely easily to my offerings even if like I said I would cast in front of them and lead my offering in front of them. None the less it was fun and I had to be off the lake around 9:30. But I will be back out soon.
Have others been experiencing the surfacing schools to be easily spooked...with casting about them. Any pointers or input will be greatly welcomed. Thanks

Raloma
08-15-2011, 07:47 PM
I found the same thing, I also would like some pointers. I am kinda new to this and trying to figure this fishing thing out.

KID CREOLE
08-15-2011, 09:02 PM
Your lure needs to match the size of the shad they are feeding on

TroutOnly
08-15-2011, 09:34 PM
IF THERE BOILING OR POPPING THE SURFACE USE FLOATING SURFACE LURES AND KEEP WORKING THEM,,,I LIKE GIVING THEM A LITTLE JERK SO THEY SPLASH,A STOP AND GO ACTION,EVEN ON DEAD WATER, TOO MANY GUYS RUN THEM TOO FAST ,IF YOU GET THE FULL ON BOIL IT S NO BRAINER THEN,,,,,,,,,,,,,,t/o,,,,,,,,

eddiefishtaco
08-15-2011, 09:47 PM
Small, I mean small kastmasters on spinning reel, 4-6 lb test, slow retrieive
or scrounger heads and a small fluke, is almost a mini striper per cast,
for jiggin a little george or a swedish pimple

have fun

Stormcrow
08-15-2011, 09:52 PM
One problem people make is that those "shad schools" are sometimes actually Silversides...Only an inch long or so. I agree with what eddiefishtaco says....

No sense throwing a threadfin size bait. Its just way too big.

TroutOnly
08-16-2011, 07:42 AM
The threadfins are there last time i was there my stripers were spitting them up,,both are probably going on,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

jowo
08-16-2011, 09:32 AM
Try casting out a 5/8 ounce silver kroc, sinking it through them, and burning it back. Worked for me the 1 time I've been there. Threw surface baits and they wouldn't eat them, but the kroc got whacked on the sink, didn't stick, and hooked up within 2 cranks after letting it sink out about 20 feet.

Slater
08-16-2011, 10:27 AM
Most of my shad offerings were in the 3 inch range, The stripe I did get had about 1 inch size shad in its stomach. Definitely going to have something smaller to cast on them next time, just worried about using lighter line. The dropping spoon and then crank sounds good.
It was just wierd that the first fish slammed it right away..and nothing after... oh well - just fishing!

diamondbear
08-16-2011, 10:52 AM
As the season gets really going theres going to be groups of boats chasing the boils and really putting the spook to em then .

HawgZWylde
08-16-2011, 05:37 PM
The threadfins are there last time i was there my stripers were spitting them up,,both are probably going on,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Yup. Bill and I were on the water today. My lure spooked a school of silversides into going airborne. Then later a school of shad boiled about 20 yards from our boat. We were chasing LMB's and didn't pursue what was chasing the shad into the air...

TroutOnly
08-16-2011, 06:42 PM
Them boil whores,,,,,,,,,,,,lol,,,,,,,,,,,,

farmacist
08-16-2011, 06:47 PM
My name is farmy...and I am a boil whore

TroutOnly
08-16-2011, 06:53 PM
My name is t/o and iam one too!!!!!!!!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,lol,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,

ghost2uu
08-16-2011, 08:21 PM
Was there today. Lots of puddling fish off the east dam near the far corner. Had a thousand striper swim under the boat at one point. Fishing them was tough. Got two fish. Got back to marina and a guy had a limit for 70 pounds. Said he lost more fish due to a small net. His big fish was about 14 pounds. He was on them and not fishing the small boilers.

KingShad
08-16-2011, 08:34 PM
Slater dont feel bad. I find easy limits at Skinner and have that lake down but cant catch a limit at DVL to save me.

HawgZWylde
08-16-2011, 10:00 PM
My name is t/o and iam one too!!!!!!!!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,lol,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,

Lol, frigging boil whore'n perverts...

OK, I come clean, I've penetrated a few in my lifetime..;o)...lol

whopperstopper
08-16-2011, 10:34 PM

Lol, frigging boil whore'n perverts...

OK, I come clean, I've penetrated a few in my lifetime..;o)...lol Lol I couldnt resist:Wink:

jerryG
08-17-2011, 11:19 PM

x3. JerryG..