PDA

View Full Version : late report 8/10 bad luck but good fishing.

goose2foru
08-15-2011, 01:20 PM
Was suppose to leave LA at 5:30 did not get on the road till almost 11 am. got there all of the botas were rented had to wait for someone to come back in. Got on the water around 2. head to my first spot back in a cove dropped the trolling motor. No power at all completley at the winds mercey. forced to anchor up. decided to try something other than the drop shot or T-rig. started throwing a fly lined fluke nose hooked with a small drop shot hook. started catching the smaller models imediatly. after a few dinks in the boat decided to try next spot in the cove. But the motor would not turn over at all. Messed with it for almost a hour before getting frustrated and telling my partner to just kick the dam thing. he gives it a good kick and it fires right up me and my partner just look at each other and start cracking up lol... to the next spot we go. I realize that the bigger models are down a little deeper so i pull out a small nail weight and try inserting it in a few diffrent places and watching it sink beside the boat to get the optimal action on a slow sink. Found te right look with the nail weight directly in the center of the bottom. As i am getting ready to take my first cast i see shad every where not many fish on them. The shad are much smaller than my fluke so i bite the tip of to match the hatch. First cast let it sink for 30 seconds lift the rod tip and the weight is there. I set the hook and imediatly know this is a better fish loomis light weight dropshot rod dubbles over and out the drag goes. I was useing 4 pound test. a fun fight on the light rod and four pound test. fised the rest of the evening haveing to kick the motor to get it started and worked every time.. got quite a few dinks and a few in the three to four pound class nothing big though. All caught on a fluke in around 20 feet or less. only took a few pics..

HawgStalker
08-15-2011, 02:00 PM
Way to roll with the punches... Good job!