PDA

View Full Version : 8/12 Pre Rave fishing

casting call
08-15-2011, 07:54 AM
I got off work at 5pm and went straight to the asian market for some Bonito and Mack. Fought the traffic and finally got to the lake around 7.
Setup in between Team Woodward and Hooks - sorry I didnt say hi hooks, by the time I was settled, my ex gf called me and you pulled anchor and took off before I could say hi. Team Woodward relocated as well, so I was by myself at that spot.
They were setting up for a rave and were testing out their sound system, so it wasnt too bad as far as the music goes.

I was tired of getting broken off last week, so this time I was prepared with upgraded line. I had 25lb P-line Cxx on one reel and straight 30lb braided line on the other. I casted straight into the mouth of the intimidation factor called sunken branches. The rod with the braided line gets hit at around 830 and even though I felt every abrasion the catfish was taking me through, I was confident that I would land this kitty. A few minutes later, a nice 4 pounder (estimate).

A few minutes later, the 25lb setup took on a nice cat. This one being bigger.
At one time I had a double hook up, I chose the wrong rod to reel in because that one was a smallish 2lb catfish and while I was bringing in this little guy, my other rod got wrapped up in the structure and as hard as I pulled, there was no way I was going to bring in the catfish, much less getting my hook back. I ended the night with 1 catfish short of my limit.

That night I "only" broke off twice, so Im glad I went heavier. At the cleaning station, I met Hometown and his brother. They had nice stringers. Nice chatting with you Hometown.

I will add pics as soon as I can resize.

hooks
08-15-2011, 08:57 AM
Nice that you caught 4 fish. I thought all the noise would kill any bite for sure in that area. Guess I was wrong.
I've switched up to 25 pound test too. It's the only way to get those fish out of cover. I still broke off probably 10 fish on the 25 on Sat. night.
tight lines....

casting call
08-15-2011, 09:54 AM
I really like the braid, but after putting any tension on the line, it digs into itself on the spool and youll get some botched casts when the line hits that dug in portion of the reel. I really like the P-line Cxx xtrastrong line. Its a little stiff, but it really held up pretty well with all the abrasion, and Im not shy to really clamp down on the drag.

VineAssist
08-15-2011, 11:41 AM
Casting Call,
With braided lines I highly recommend that you have it spooled by a tackle shop with a line winding machine. The reason is they can get it on way tighter than you could by hand. This will eliminate the spectra or braid digging into itself on the spool.

ushone
08-15-2011, 12:57 PM
seems a lil pointless to me cause once u cast it, it doesnt come back tight again and its just gonna dig again.....only thing to do is youll eventually get a feel for when its dug in and u just gotta let line out and fix it before casting

WOODWARD7
08-15-2011, 01:01 PM
ive never had problems with power pro braided line and i use 50lb. maybe its the type of braid ur using try power pro

casting call
08-15-2011, 01:15 PM
Woodward, actually alot of it was trying to get free from snags and some good wraps around branches, but Ill give power pro a shot if I can find another spool for my reel.

Hometown
08-15-2011, 04:29 PM
casting call that was a nice stringer you had congrats and it was a pleasure meeting you.

troutdog
08-15-2011, 10:28 PM
Sounds like the spot did you right, wtg!

TD