PDA

View Full Version : Skunked At DVL

fishstory
08-15-2011, 07:29 AM
I have been fishing for striper for 25yrs. Mostly bank fishing the colorado river but did really good for two years from a boat in Kansas. Have always been good at bringing home a few fish whenever I go out for a trip. I was excited to fish DVL for the first time last year but only got one LMB that trip. Went a few days later and nothing. This month I have been hitting the lake again. Three trips last week. SKUNKED EVERY TIME!!! I cant believe it. Im very humbled by this lake but It is obvious to me that Im missing something when I get home and see that others have limits on the same day. I have tried trolling at various depths from just below the surface to 60ft deep. I tried an umbrella rig all day on the last trip with no luck. Fished it 40-60ft. deep. At times I was sure I would get hooked up but nothing ever happened. I think 5 trips to the lake is enough dues to at least get into some fish. WTH? Can someone help with some pointers? I even tried soaking some bait around the spillway with no luck. Once I saw some striper break the surface but wasnt prepared. Had to reel in one of my trolling lures to try to get a bait on them. They were gone by the time I got there. I usually fish the Lake Havasu/Parker strip area each winter to get me share of striper. I cant go much longer without a good fishfry. Im just finally able to post here on what seems to be a great forum. Im very excited to learn what it takes to get Striper from DVL and look forward to fishing the lake and sharing here for years to come. Thanks in advance.

FS

HawgStalker
08-15-2011, 08:49 AM
Stop by Last Chance in Hemet... those guys can get you headed in the right direction for sure! Good Luck...

fishstory
08-15-2011, 09:06 AM
I did that. Still no luck. Theres got to be something Im missing. It has been mentioned that many are reluctant to share here so maybe I wont be able to get the info Im looking for here. I for one am all for helping others so once I do get this figured out I will be here to help others the best I can to get on the fish. Might just take a little longer. Still keeping my fingers crossed that a few might chime in here and share what they know so I can join in catching some of the great DVL stripers.

Surfer
08-15-2011, 09:13 AM
Can't help you with the stripers. But I know you can catch lmb by dropshotting 4.5" morning dawn and oxblood robos on 6lb fluro.

ushone
08-15-2011, 09:24 AM
wat lb test are u fishing with?

striperkingclassic1
08-15-2011, 09:37 AM
To FS- It's totally understandable why you're frustrated. Diamond Valley Lake is not an easy lake to fish because of it's immense size and physical features. Throw in the addition of all that water, increased external temperature, and you've got a lot on your hands. One suggestion for you would be to hire a guide for a 1/2 day. They'll teach you more in that time that you would normally take 5 years to master! I know it's not inexpensive, but think about how many trips you've been out getting skunked and paying for it.

Any one of the "Live" Auction Guides will be able to put you on the stripers and show you the different techniques used. Don't worry out there, have fun, relax and you'll be on the fish........
Barry A. Ogawa

fishstory
08-15-2011, 09:40 AM
wat lb test are u fishing with?

Depending on what technique Ive tried 6lb for bait, 8-12lb mono for trolling, 30lb spiderwire for trolling, and heavier rod w/25lb mono for trolling the umbrella rig. Im using a downrigger.

HawgStalker
08-15-2011, 09:41 AM
I did that. Still no luck. Theres got to be something Im missing. It has been mentioned that many are reluctant to share here so maybe I wont be able to get the info Im looking for here. I for one am all for helping others so once I do get this figured out I will be here to help others the best I can to get on the fish. Might just take a little longer. Still keeping my fingers crossed that a few might chime in here and share what they know so I can join in catching some of the great DVL stripers.
That sux...hopefully somebody will pm you with some helpful hints! I know nothing about stripers so I cant help you bro! If you want to catch some LMB hit me up and tell you all I know...

fishstory
08-15-2011, 09:49 AM
To FS- It's totally understandable why you're frustrated. Diamond Valley Lake is not an easy lake to fish because of it's immense size and physical features. Throw in the addition of all that water, increased external temperature, and you've got a lot on your hands. One suggestion for you would be to hire a guide for a 1/2 day. They'll teach you more in that time that you would normally take 5 years to master! I know it's not inexpensive, but think about how many trips you've been out getting skunked and paying for it.

Any one of the "Live" Auction Guides will be able to put you on the stripers and show you the different techniques used. Don't worry out there, have fun, relax and you'll be on the fish........
Barry A. Ogawa

I have been seriously considering it. the prices seem very fair to me and my only hesitation is that my work schedule is not fixed so most of my fishing trips are not planned. spur of the moment usually and kinda figured I wouldn't be able to get a guide the night before. i will definitely give it a shot soon. Was wondering if some of these guys are geared more towards LMB. Hard to know who's really good with the striper. im considering Don Spencer or hubert Zimara as of now. maybe I can catch up with them this week. still seems like i should be able to ask and get help on a forum like this though. have never seen any real details on how to catch them here. Maybe the good guys are too busy fishing to sit in front of a computer. I dont blame them. I cant wait to get into some good striper action at DVL.

fishstory
08-15-2011, 09:51 AM
That sux...hopefully somebody will pm you with some helpful hints! I know nothing about stripers so I cant help you bro! If you want to catch some LMB hit me up and tell you all I know...

I appreciate that HS. I seem to be uninterested until i get on the lake and cant get any striper. Then I keep thinking, "damn, I should have bought those roboworms and dropshots." Cant win.

AbsolutePig
08-15-2011, 10:03 AM

No one's going to tell you anything........lol....especially with a striper tourney in two weeks. I'll PM you.....

diamondbear
08-15-2011, 11:40 AM
Your really close to start nailing those stripers , the first battle is just showing up and trying . What seems to be a tough bite for these stripers now is gonna be a thing in the past in a couple of years , DVL is infested with these fish now and only getting better . DONT GIVE UP . Hiring that 1/2 day guide [ get a buddy to split cost ] probably will save you alot of wasted time on your own , well worth the money . These fish are moving around the lk. and you can generaly see them on your sonar when you run over them .

olfishergal
08-15-2011, 11:54 AM
Its a full Moon, even the LMB's are shy this past week....

ushone
08-15-2011, 01:28 PM
the funny thing to me is how everyone says kill all the strippers that u can and how they mess lakes up....but when it comes to asking how to catch em everyone on this boards zips up.....honestly id help u out if i knew bout strippers, but seems u now as much if not more than i do, i only asked about line size cause i now they are quite shy out their but based on wat u said their not that shy. Otherwise if u wanna talk lmb, u can catch dinks all day usally with a small purpleish worm dropshotted

bruce watson
08-15-2011, 03:44 PM
It's been a bit rough on the fishing out there the last few days. Just think, at the time of the striper classic, we're not going to be bothered by that nasty old moon and the fish spending the night at the dinner table.

TroutOnly
08-15-2011, 04:32 PM
fishstory ,you should trying trolling some small shad like lures the bait is small right now ,and with stripers like any other predators you have to match the hatch,if youre going to troll shallower early ,then down at least 40ft,thats the normal ceiling of the thermocline.humps and points are the stripers normal ambush places,if you spot alot of shad on youre graph,then you are in the right area,the shad balls are fairley shallow, you just have to really look,and if you decide a guide is the right thing to get up to speed i am one of the very best striper guides around ,just because the powers to be didnt invite in the guide auction doesnt mean much,i know that lake like the back of my hand,because i was one of the first guides who fished and guided there when i first opened,only thing with me is i fish many of the so cal lakes and know mr striper better than most,,,,,bob,,,aka,,,troutonly, dont let the name fool you,scan my reports and you can see what im talking about,and if youre to fish the striper derby it will be a very good bite,its on the new moon that means no light at night for the stripers to feed by the new moon is always better the the full moon, then you have to fish at night or at sunrise,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

fishstory
08-15-2011, 04:32 PM
I think I will try again Wednesday. see how it goes.

hook1fred
08-15-2011, 05:06 PM
fishstory ,you should trying trolling some small shad like lures the bait is small right now ,and with stripers like any other predators you have to match the hatch,if youre going to troll shallower early ,then down at least 40ft,thats the normal ceiling of the thermocline.humps and points are the stripers normal ambush places,if you spot alot of shad on youre graph,then you are in the right area,the shad balls are fairley shallow, you just have to really look,and if you decide a guide is the right thing to get up to speed i am one of the very best striper guides around ,just because the powers to be didnt invite in the guide auction doesnt mean much,i know that lake like the back of my hand,because i was one of the first guides who fished and guided there when i first opened,only thing with me is i fish many of the so cal lakes and know mr striper better than most,,,,,bob,,,aka,,,troutonly, dont let the name fool you,scan my reports and you can see what im talking about,and if youre to fish the striper derby it will be a very good bite,its on the new moon that means no light at night for the stripers to feed by the new moon is always better the the full moon, then you have to fish at night or at sunrise,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

WOW.....hahaha

olfishergal
08-15-2011, 05:16 PM
Thanks Bob good advise, that darn full moon always messes up my fishing.....thanks for sharing, most of us don't fish for Mr. Stripey
but, with him moving in time to target for him, hopefully, will find him when he is very hungry. C U at the tourny if you are going. This is for charity and besides i like the tacos.
OFG

larry626
08-15-2011, 05:21 PM
Thanks Bob good advise, that darn full moon always messes up my fishing.....thanks for sharing, most of us don't fish for Mr. Stripey
but, with him moving in time to target for him, hopefully, will find him when he is very hungry. C U at the tourny if you are going. This is for charity and besides i like the tacos.
OFG

What's wrong with Striped? I love the way they taste. One of my favorite fish.

TroutOnly
08-15-2011, 05:30 PM
fishingal i will be there with shock and tacklejunkie,,,,,were going to be killing some stripers ,,,maybe one of us will when some money,,,,,,,,,,,,,T/O,,,,,,,,,,

karlow
08-15-2011, 09:38 PM
That lake has shown me no love this year.
It has also shown Joe the back of it's hand too may times this year as well!
We are chasing butts in the LBC!
I tried to get Joe to go back to DVL, but he is actually putting a few buts on the boat!
Shorter tow, bigger fish! My rig is still a few weeks from getting wet again at this rate.

Bob is the man!
He will put you on the fish if they are there.
I need a 20Lb butt, and a 10Lb striper!
Life is too short to settle for 2 lb fish dam it!

fishstory
08-17-2011, 08:55 PM
Got my 1st striper this morning. 6:30am. Was thinking today would be wide open after that but nothing else. Chased some boils for about an hour. No love. Got one though!