PDA

View Full Version : Jigs and Rig Setup while fishing for Strippers [Newbie Question]

larry626
08-15-2011, 07:26 AM
Hi, sorry for the newbie question but i didn't have much success on my first trip to Diamond Valley a couple of weeks ago. I was wondering if I can get some advice on some proper setups for fishing DVL. I'm targeting strippers. Also which area of the lake would bring about the most success? Thanks in advance.

fishstory
08-15-2011, 07:32 AM
I'm targeting strippers.

There's your problem. Your at the wrong place.:LOL:

larry626
08-15-2011, 07:53 AM
Haha.. Striped bass.

There's your problem. Your at the wrong place.:LOL:

fishstory
08-15-2011, 08:16 AM
lol, I just posted a similar thread. Hopefully we can get help here.

Mestre909
08-15-2011, 08:27 AM
Larry,

Lots and lots of "one's". Make it rain and they will appear! lmao

tunagod1
08-15-2011, 08:37 AM
Seems like most of the folks here will not offer much advice, not sure how to effectively target the DVL stripers, I've caught fish trolling a 4" zoom fluke on a 3/16 scrounger lead head and a 4 oz torpedo sinker tied on a 3 way swivel. I've seen people catch on rapala Ice jigs, and white shad swim baits. Most of the fish right now are from 40 - 70 ft down. Sounds like people are catch fish trolling, not sure what there trolling. Saw alot of bait and wait folks on the bouy line sat. but only one fish caught when I passed by. Didn't see much striper action but diamond bear did very well trolling from his report. I saw 1 striper landed around 7 lb on a flylined anchovie over by the quarry on the east end.

we ended up catching lots of bass on dropshot senkos, and some really big bluegill. but struck out on the stripers.

HawgStalker
08-15-2011, 08:55 AM
Larry,

Lots and lots of "one's". Make it rain and they will appear! lmao

LOL...you beat me to the punch!

larry626
08-15-2011, 09:04 AM
Tuna: thanks for responding. When trolling, do you just toss your line in at a certain depth with a plastic jig and run around the bank of the lake? A bit new to trolling for fish.

Seems like most of the folks here will not offer much advice, not sure how to effectively target the DVL stripers, I've caught fish trolling a 4" zoom fluke on a 3/16 scrounger lead head and a 4 oz torpedo sinker tied on a 3 way swivel. I've seen people catch on rapala Ice jigs, and white shad swim baits. Most of the fish right now are from 40 - 70 ft down. Sounds like people are catch fish trolling, not sure what there trolling. Saw alot of bait and wait folks on the bouy line sat. but only one fish caught when I passed by. Didn't see much striper action but diamond bear did very well trolling from his report. I saw 1 striper landed around 7 lb on a flylined anchovie over by the quarry on the east end.

we ended up catching lots of bass on dropshot senkos, and some really big bluegill. but struck out on the stripers.

larry626
08-15-2011, 09:04 AM
LOL...you beat me to the punch!

What's this infatuation with a typo? it's quite funny though :)

HawgStalker
08-15-2011, 09:49 AM
Dont mean to offend...I've done it too! Posting reports with wrong dates...lol!

diamondbear
08-15-2011, 10:25 AM
Tunagod1 has a good answer for your striper quest , keep in mind that these stripers are like nascar , here one minute and gone the next . The guys at last chance and bait diffently know what and where on the stripers . Watch for someone with a net in there hands around you as your out there fishing . Hiring a 1/2 day guide is a better idea thou . The fishing will only get better at DVL for the stripers , dont give up you'll get it down . Good luck. // db

larry626
08-15-2011, 02:37 PM
Well I learned a few things, thanks. I'll post a video if I am able to catch any :)

eddiefishtaco
08-15-2011, 02:56 PM
20 dollar bills, probably the best bait for strippers

trolling will get better, but is kind of boring, troll deep and slow,
bait with sardine will get you some minis too
for the big ones you need .. $ 100 bills.

TroutOnly
08-15-2011, 09:37 PM
Eddie youre too funny,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,i like the deep and slow troll tho,,,,,,,,,,,,

jeff4321
08-19-2011, 09:21 PM
for strippers I like to use flylined 20 dollar bills and if they dont take it I follow it up with a bunch of singles

Sublime-Steve
08-19-2011, 10:00 PM
" i'm in love with a striper"

Surfnsnowboard3
08-19-2011, 10:22 PM
I'm new to trolling as well. I have a question about trolling hopefully somebody can answer. Without lead core and without a line counter, what's the best method to assure I get to the correct depth (40-60) ft?

twcthfsh
08-20-2011, 07:05 AM
down riggers

bruce watson
08-20-2011, 04:54 PM
I'm new to trolling as well. I have a question about trolling hopefully somebody can answer. Without lead core and without a line counter, what's the best method to assure I get to the correct depth (40-60) ft?

If you are planning to drift fish and want to be about fifty feet down, mark your line. A sharpie marker will color monofiliment line. Measure out 50 feet of line onto your sidewalk using a tape measure. Blackout about a couple feet of line with your sharpie pen. When you are letting out line at the lake, you will know when you're 50ft down or adjust accordingly.

This is the type of info you can get for free when you go to the seminars that pro fishermen (Guides) are putting on constantly. I heard some great trolling tips from Greg Silks at his recent DVL seminar.

Even tho I have a downrigger, I also like to use diving wedges sometimes.

autowiz
08-20-2011, 05:39 PM
Trolling is boring,its like pier fishing when your a kid
And bait is like pier fishing also. Try metering fish or bait and
Start using. Spoons,bucktails, flukes etc. . If that doesn't work troll
A big *** umbrella rig with 50 lb test and meat you will have
Pleasure will not be.

DrePSP
08-21-2011, 10:34 AM
I think first off you need to find the proper fish depth using your fish finder. remember that your line is about 100' behind you. depending how fast your going and weight and style your using.
I like to use divers. lead line is fine and all but to get deep you have to use ALOT and if you go fast it doesnt work too well. or down riggers which are spendy.
I saw someone say 2mph, thats max trout speed. try 3 mph for stripers. I use fish seeker divers http://www.basspro.com/Fish-Seeker/product/7874/-571107.
easy to use and cought too many trout to count. you can get dipsy divers but need to know how much line you put out and you need a good medium to heavy poll with at least 15lb. more like 20-30 would be realistic/better, try cajun red. from your diver, you want about 4-5' of leader and have your lure something like a 6" trout or shad or big spoon.
IF you want tie a 16" line off the back of that lure with a couple hooks for your anchovie.. So now your fishing with 2 rigs on one poll.
good luck

IN2DEEP
08-21-2011, 03:27 PM
" i'm in love with a striper"
I like that song :whistle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKcr5vkOxNs

stocker
08-22-2011, 07:03 PM
Great advice given already on the troll esp with the seeker's if you're not a core or rigger guy--much less hassle than the dipsy's. My .02 would be to match the size/color/action of the lure you're dragging compared to the baitfish available for the schoolies and occasional large fish--canned answer I know but it's true. Find the meat balls (shad) and you'll get the stripper! I'd also add to always have a second stick with a large plug trolled at all times out there in the zone regardless of time of year/day/conditions--stripey is opportunistic esp the big boys and one eventually will make a mistake if you're covering ground/paying dues. Obviously when the trout go in, your best shot is to throw something huge in their direction i.e. hudd, punker, tru tungsten, ac, z-plug, bbz, home made etc and during the boils just get something out there and f-with the retrieve/depth until you find the magic bullet--could be a kroc, underspin, topwater, fluke, scrounger/fluke or bucktail et al. Lastly, if you're not getting bit, think outside the box and create your own rules.

DrePSP
08-24-2011, 08:27 PM
I used my diver today on the rental boat and it kept flipping up and bring my bait to surface. it is cause the boat would not go slow enough in drive even at the lowest speed setting. If you do get fish seeker, keep it under 3.