PDA

View Full Version : Lobster hooping in a tube.

Dmax
08-14-2011, 09:39 PM
Has anyone done it? I mainly hang out in the harbors. (Newport, San Clemente and around Dana point) I was thinking of trying to do it this season and would like any tips if you guys have done it in a tube. Thanks for any tips. Ray

LGHT
08-15-2011, 11:19 AM
I've hooped at the harbors for years and we would get HUGE 10 lb bugs back in DP 10-15 years ago. Even on a boat pulling a hoop from the bottom is tough if anything is in it. I would have to pull pretty hard using both hands and the rail for leverage to get the hoop up off the bottom. Although the setup would only weigh around 50 lbs with bait it was tough getting it off the bottom even at 20' in surge and waves.

LBSea
08-17-2011, 03:41 PM
No f-ing way. A hoop net is way too heavy and big to be handled from a float tube. I float tube the salt all the time and I hoop net from my kayak during lobster season and I am telling you it is tough enough from a kayak let alone a float tube. You would also be limited to one hoop at best and that is really no way to go hooping. You need at least two or three hoops to work an area and locate the crawl. One hoop would be fruitless unless you go really lucky. Also I have seen more aggresive seals while hooping then any other time I am on the water in my tube or kayak. Lastly kayaks are hard to see at night in the dark, a float tube is almost impossible to see in those same conditions. I have had boaters yell at me telling me I was a crazy SOB and that they could have hit me and I should not be tubing at night in the ocean.

Stay safe.

Dmax
08-20-2011, 05:25 PM
Thanks for the info. I have many friends that tube at night with no problems. I have not done it yet. When season starts I might try one net, if not I'll ask my friends that have yaks to help out. Again thanks for the input.