PDA

View Full Version : Another novice question

Trout Bagger
08-14-2011, 04:15 PM
I have seen posts here talking about fly and bubble fishing. The question i have is if in the Sierras you would have better luck using floating or sinking flies, and the technique used (let it sit, slow retrieve, retrieve and sit?)?
Sorry to be such a beginner, i just want to make sure I can hook my son up with some fish next month when we head up to June Lake Loop and Bishop Creek drainage area.

STEVE IN SOCAL
08-15-2011, 02:29 PM
Try and stay simple. Yes, fly and bubble works, dry or wet.
But just take some mini jigs, some gold spoons, and nightcrawlers.
A half nightcrawler on a #8 gold Aberdeen hook suspended 4/6' below a small bobber will catch fish all day in the sierra lakes. Use 2# test. It's all you need.
Don't overthink your bait/lure/fly choices. Those three things will catch you fish all day. You need to work on your casting/retrieving/fish fighting skills. When you get bored because you caught so many fish on those three things...then move into other stuff like flies.

LBSea
08-15-2011, 03:13 PM
Try and stay simple. Yes, fly and bubble works, dry or wet.
But just take some mini jigs, some gold spoons, and nightcrawlers.
A half nightcrawler on a #8 gold Aberdeen hook suspended 4/6' below a small bobber will catch fish all day in the sierra lakes. Use 2# test. It's all you need.
Don't overthink your bait/lure/fly choices. Those three things will catch you fish all day. You need to work on your casting/retrieving/fish fighting skills. When you get bored because you caught so many fish on those three things...then move into other stuff like flies.

WELL SAID! I am not a novice and I tend to over think my approach. I know what works but I will always grab one of the “HOT BAIT” just so I am not without and guess what? I always come home with my UNUSED / UNOPENED HOT BAIT and ended up going to the old standbys and killing it. One day I will learn but until then I will keep Signal Hill Turners in business.

With kids you can never hear it enough - STAY SIMPLE until you master simple. They switch it up.

Now go catch some trout.