PDA

View Full Version : Shimano spirex

simijab
08-14-2011, 01:23 PM
Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this reel

Sh1mano
08-17-2011, 08:27 PM
I have the 1000 that I use for trout, and the 2500 for bass. Caught many fish on both so I give the Spirex two thumbs up. Plus its a Shimano, nuff said.

DarkShadow
08-18-2011, 11:16 AM
Sturdy as a tank.

But, I'd go with other Shimano spinning reels in the same price range.

I don't know if Shimano has made changes from their old model, but it seems they really haven't.

1. Double Paddle Handle.

Kinda gimmicky and really serves no purpose. Is it really necessary for a spinning reel? Plus it adds weight.

2. Quickfire Trigger II is a hindrance, rather than an aid. The "Quickfire" feature in the reel causes it to have one stopping point in anti reverse because you need the reel sitting in the same spot in order to catch the line with your finger.

Can't count the number of times I set the hook to have the reel spinning backwards, coming to a hard stop at where the trigger is. Essentially, it has NO anti reverse.

Those are the two major reason I'd go with a Sahara or something in the similar price range.

Not having anti-reverse is an absolute and complete deal breaker.

Nessie Hunter
08-18-2011, 01:44 PM
If you absolutely have to have a Shimano Brand. At least go Sahara or better...
The low end Shimano Reels have very poor quality in Metals, Bearings, drags etc..
Daiwa doesnt lower their standard for lesser $$ reels.. The Quality stays the same...

The Rear drag is a POS .. IMHO..
Very small washers and very hard to work on also...

I have a Spirex and it works, but its a loaner only. ( I found it in NPH).......

Blackwhitemax
08-18-2011, 02:18 PM
I would recommend only use Diawa SS700 reels. even though the ones are made in thailand now. If you were able to get ur hands on the ones in Japan, i would use those.

DarkShadow
08-18-2011, 02:43 PM
I would recommend only use Diawa SS700 reels. even though the ones are made in thailand now. If you were able to get ur hands on the ones in Japan, i would use those.

Still no infinite anti reverse on those SS's?

Used to be a big fan of 'em, till I realized that for a 100 dollar reel, the lack of infinite anti reverse was a bit archaic after a while. They were great reels back in the day, tho.

wackyrigged
08-20-2011, 10:15 AM
Actually my solstice 1000 is great I have it on a Rapala rod its my cheap but slayer of a setup. Its the lowest you should go if you still expect good functioning gear. IDK about the Spirex but always hated the extra paddle get the Symetre (I think is the name) instead

bdeemo
08-24-2011, 09:04 PM
I had the 2500 for a long time, it was my favorite reel until I left it in my backpack attached to the pole riding my dirtbike, hit some trees with the pole and snapped the base clean off. Caught a lot of fish on it tho!

RiverWalker
08-26-2011, 10:59 AM
Can't go wrong with any spinning reels from Shimano. I take that back, models from the Sedona to the Sustain although I personally wouldn't waste my money on a Sustain or Stella though. Only because I've never been done wrong with the mid level models like the Sedona, Symetre, and Saros. Shimano is Simply the best in my opinion and many others. I still want to grab a Stradic CI4 one of these days! I agree with DarkShadow though, you should spend a little more money and get a better model. The price difference isn't that much from a Spirex to a Sedona or Symetre.

simijab
08-28-2011, 09:58 AM
Thanks guys I actually have a sedona already just wanted to try something different without spending a bunch of money