PDA

View Full Version : Bishop 411.......8/10 & 8/11

Hooked Up
08-14-2011, 12:23 PM
Arrived in Bishop around 10am. Went straight to the Motel to check in then to get breakfast and then filled up the jeep and stopped at Mac's sporting goods and finally headed up to South Lake where the bite had been reported good. Anyway, what some people consider good-slow-or bad fishing is often a matter of opinion? For myself, it was slow. It took me 5 hrs. to catch 5 fish. All were rainbows. One 17" bow :Big Grin: and the other 4 were all 12-13" stockers. Water was very high and shore fishing was very limited. I left South Lake and did some recon at Bishop Creek for future adventures? Day 2: Decided to fish Sabrina Lake (1st time fishing there). I was surprised to see all the people actually fishing off the Dam.:Confused: So I walked the length of the Dam to see what was going on. Many people had fish. I could also see many fish in the water where they were fishing.:Shocked: I usually go to the Sierra's to get away from crowds so I opted to hike the trail behind the bait shop. The bite was similar to to South Lake. 5 fish limit in 4 1/2 hrs. All stocker rainbows in the 11-13" range. All fish caught at both lakes on PB. Had my 10 fish in possesion limit but plenty of time to burn. So I did some recon in Bishop Creek below the lake. For you creek fishermen, this place was loaded with fish. Seems like every pool had 2 or more fish in it! Probably more cause I am sure I did not see them All! I think they had just stocked it? Then I decided to check out North Lake. My first time there also. I did not fish. Recon only. Anyway, average fishing (for me) but always nice to get away and it was beautiful up here. By the way, Skeet's were everywhere! Bug repellent is a must or you will end up feeling like a pin cushion.:EyePop: Hope this helps?:Smile:

JAG107
08-14-2011, 05:34 PM
I hear ya about the Sabrina Dam, which is why I always boat the lake now. Its cool to stand up there and watch the schools swim by, and see the newbies try to land a ball of PB on the noses of the suckerfish.
I have only trolled south lake, never fished from shore, but I never saw much action from the shore guys while I was reeling in fish from the east side about 100-130' from shore. Toplining until 9, then drop your lures down to 30-40' after that will get you fish there quick. From shore at South, I think if you'd start out there casting buyants right at dawn from the launch ramp area, you could fill a limit real quick.
Sabrina really turns on after 7pm, those fish will absolutely hammer your lures until it's pitch black out. (this time of year)

Which Way Out
08-15-2011, 08:14 AM
Thanks for the first hand report.
As someone that may only get there once a year I really appreciate the info.
Tnx for the report

Hooked Up
08-15-2011, 01:36 PM
Jag107_Thanks for the extra info. Many ways to fish for fish! lol

Hooked Up
08-15-2011, 01:39 PM
Which Way Out_Yw_It can be a long drive for some people and deciding where to go can save time and $$$. :)

shooter
08-15-2011, 04:21 PM
Arrived in Bishop around 10am. Went straight to the Motel to check in then to get breakfast and then filled up the jeep and stopped at Mac's sporting goods and finally headed up to South Lake where the bite had been reported good. Anyway, what some people consider good-slow-or bad fishing is often a matter of opinion? For myself, it was slow. It took me 5 hrs. to catch 5 fish. All were rainbows. One 17" bow :Big Grin: and the other 4 were all 12-13" stockers. Water was very high and shore fishing was very limited. I left South Lake and did some recon at Bishop Creek for future adventures? Day 2: Decided to fish Sabrina Lake (1st time fishing there). I was surprised to see all the people actually fishing off the Dam.:Confused: So I walked the length of the Dam to see what was going on. Many people had fish. I could also see many fish in the water where they were fishing.:Shocked: I usually go to the Sierra's to get away from crowds so I opted to hike the trail behind the bait shop. The bite was similar to to South Lake. 5 fish limit in 4 1/2 hrs. All stocker rainbows in the 11-13" range. All fish caught at both lakes on PB. Had my 10 fish in possesion limit but plenty of time to burn. So I did some recon in Bishop Creek below the lake. For you creek fishermen, this place was loaded with fish. Seems like every pool had 2 or more fish in it! Probably more cause I am sure I did not see them All! I think they had just stocked it? Then I decided to check out North Lake. My first time there also. I did not fish. Recon only. Anyway, average fishing (for me) but always nice to get away and it was beautiful up here. By the way, Skeet's were everywhere! Bug repellent is a must or you will end up feeling like a pin cushion.:EyePop: Hope this helps?:Smile:

Hey Guys
I'd like to fish South lake, I'm living in England, a helluva treck from here but I'm hoping to visit next year. How far from the trailhead is the lake. Can I get a trail map of the area, can't find anything on line. Any Golden trout in South Lake.Where is Sabrina Lake in relation to South Lake.
Thanks in advance
Shooter

Hooked Up
08-15-2011, 06:20 PM
Hey Guys
I'd like to fish South lake, I'm living in England, a helluva treck from here but I'm hoping to visit next year. How far from the trailhead is the lake. Can I get a trail map of the area, can't find anything on line. Any Golden trout in South Lake.Where is Sabrina Lake in relation to South Lake.
Thanks in advance
Shooter
South Lake, North Lake, Sabrina and Intake II are all within a 15/20 min. drive of each other with Bishop Creek's (North/South) forks very close to roadside parking. I have hiked the trail from South lakes parking lot to some small streams above the lake and caught Golden's and Brook trout. This was a few years ago though. There are also small lakes in this area. Not sure how many. After that I went down to Bishop Creek and caught Browns and Bows! 4 different species of trout in the same day!:Shocked: All the fish I caught were under 12" though and all were C&R on that day.:Big Grin: I hear there are also some Cutthroats at North Lake and/or at the small streams/lakes above it? But I have not fished it.:Sad: Beautiful Area! Good Luck! PS. My brother has a map of the area. When I see/talk to him I will PM you.

JAG107
08-16-2011, 05:08 PM
Shooter, Get Jared Smith's book Fishin' Trails. You might be able to get it on Amazon. EXCELLENT book about fishing the Eastern Sierra backcountry lakes within a short hike of the parking lots.
I don't know about any Cutts at/near North Lake. Mostly brookies and the usual stocked bows IME.

Hooked Up
08-16-2011, 05:21 PM
Shooter, Get Jared Smith's book Fishin' Trails. You might be able to get it on Amazon. EXCELLENT book about fishing the Eastern Sierra backcountry lakes within a short hike of the parking lots.
I don't know about any Cutts at/near North Lake. Mostly brookies and the usual stocked bows IME.
I am not sure about Cutt's there either? As per my original post I did not fish North Lake. While fishing at Sabrina another angler told me he caught a Cutt there. But you know how that is. lol Thanks for helping out with the 411!

adriiiian
08-25-2011, 03:47 PM
Hooked Up lets go Fish the Sierras together.

SierraPeaks
08-29-2011, 09:57 AM
I've been fishing South Lake, Sabrina, and North Lake for 30 plus years and have never caught a Cutty at either one of them. That doesn't mean they're not in there. I just haven't caught one or heard about or seen anyone else catch one either. Generally Bows and Browns out of South and Sabrina. Brookies occasionally out of North Lake. Trolling South and Sabrina can be tough if you've never boated the lakes. The depths change very suddenly. The water is very clear most of the season though so you can easily see when you're approaching shallow waters. The inlets at South and Sabrina is the place to be. If for nothing else...the sheer beauty back at the inlets at both lakes is worth it.