PDA

View Full Version : 8/13 Moonlight event

fishfinder
08-14-2011, 01:28 AM
Well I really planned on having a good fish report, but a funny thing happened on the way to the event tonight. We had planned on arriving early to the 8pm start, so we would have enough to cook up a nice dinner before we went out in search of mr. stripey. comming for lake elizabeth, we went through lake hughes rd. about 1 mile into the road, I hear a thump and some dragging sounds. yup, the tire fell off the trailer, and when i hit the brakes it32341 went rolling past us. :EyePop: spent the next 4 hours waiting for a tow truck, with my truck and boat in the road. good ole auto club. finally got home abo32340ut 1130 pm. Was looking fwd to meating some new friends and having a grand time. guess my boat will be off the lake for awhile. left it at a friends 32338house in lake elizabeth, so tomorrow i have to go out and survey the damage. guess i will have to go nail some crappie at the lake while i am there.

Reellady46
08-14-2011, 10:43 AM
OH MAN!! What a bummer. Glad you guys are okay..Could have been much worse. Good luck today.. : (

fishfinder
08-14-2011, 01:00 PM
yea could have been. a couple more miles we would have been out of cell phone range. and we were only going about 40 mph or so. how was the fishing lastt night? did you go?

Reellady46
08-14-2011, 01:15 PM
yea could have been. a couple more miles we would have been out of cell phone range. and we were only going about 40 mph or so. how was the fishing lastt night? did you go?
I have had a case of the cruds for the last couple of days. Friday left work early. Sore throat cough body aches etc. Feeling better today. I have a cough still, but ready for the work week. Thank goodness for the cell phone coverage.

fishfinder
08-14-2011, 04:50 PM
hope you are feeling better today.

sumojo
08-15-2011, 09:25 PM
Hey sorry for your bad fishing trip did you hit up them crappie?

fishfinder
08-15-2011, 09:48 PM
Hey sorry for your bad fishing trip did you hit up them crappie?

no, never made it out there. gonna try for some friday morning at sunrise. then pull the boat trailer apart, and survey the damage.

fishinforbait714
08-16-2011, 07:41 PM
I have had a case of the cruds for the last couple of days. Friday left work early. Sore throat cough body aches etc. Feeling better today. I have a cough still, but ready for the work week. Thank goodness for the cell phone coverage.
Hey reellady! Where were you pulling your boat from about an hour or so ago? Passed you on Newport Blvd about an hour hour ago pulling that bad *** boat. Did you fish at Newport? Playing hooky from work? :Wink: You sure have a beautiful truck and boat. We knew it was you. What up!

Danny

fishinforbait714
08-16-2011, 09:05 PM
fishfinder sorry to see this happened to you....What a bummer..The bite was not that good out there.

Danny

fishfinder
08-16-2011, 09:07 PM
fishfinder sorry to see this happened to you....What a bummer..The bite was not that good out there.

Danny

thanks danny, let that be a lesson to all. inspect your trailer bearing yearly.

TUNAVIC
08-17-2011, 10:19 AM
Another advanced warning is check your bearings after every tow,what I mean is,when you tow your boat to the ramp,before you launch it,feel the hub right behind your bearing buddies,they should not be hot.
Now when you tow the boat home feel them again,I always check this way everytime I tow,usually the bearings don't just fail all of the sudden,they begin to fail and then they heat up the spindle ect and then totally fail ie lost tire.
Checking yearly is great for sure,but along with that doing the easy check I described has alerted me to a bad bearing before it failed completely.

karlow
08-17-2011, 12:40 PM
That's a good idea.
I always check mine if I can remember as soon as we get off the freeway.

I have been that guy on the side of the road before.
Broken spring at the CHP check point near Castaic.
I also almost lost a tire once (lose lugs) on the way to Davies.
There is nothing like seeing smoke and fire in the rear-view as the sun is rising!
It is not going to be a good day, but it's better than sinking your truck (that's another tail).

KP