PDA

View Full Version : Native sun 8/12: Fish ,a 40lb 4ft mako, and a family of pelicans caught!!!

BALLERONBUDGET
08-13-2011, 09:04 PM
yup.. good small group anglers... picking away at rocks and a few cudas... 3rd stop lucky 14yo with his family fishing slams a mako shark on his mackeral pole!!!!! no pix from me but tons taken.... also pelicans at least 20 following and grabbing every flylined bait we threw out!! Confused: every 5th cast was bird on, even to the point they were beneath our railing and hooking us up as u rail in ! wats the best way to get rid of them or can we???? a .22 would be nice or a few firecracker blasts in the h2o maybe:LOL::LOL: would do the trick...... and btw since sharks arent allowed in jackpot , $$$ went to a nice sized cuda...; kid and pops have a fish story of a lifetime!! also as a bonus family of bus sized blue whales were in the vicinity keeping us company..

JapanRon
08-13-2011, 10:19 PM
Hi BALLERONBUDGET,

Sounds like our last two trips Pelican~wise. They are California Brown Pelicans. They sure have been hungry lately and we see lots of flocks coming from down south..... must have a big appetite from all that flying ! :)

On the Pelican problem... DON'T THROW MEAT .... as I was telling my rail buddies after the stern flyliners musta caught about 15, "don't throw out the meat they love but give plastic, iron, or even a dropper-loop setup soaking bait a try AND stop blankity-blankity-blank fly-lining baits !! Sheeeh !! How many hooked up Pelicans does it take to get it ?!" :) I was never hooked up on a Pelican even once throwing plastics .... all day long ... hummm. :)

We also had Sealions come by to see if anybody was fishing Sardines. I just love it when guys KNOW the Sardines will attract Sealions that are lurking close by but still not only fish them BUT...... throw the dead used baits back into the water ...... often right where I've got my line being retrieved. What happens ... the Pelicans make a rush for the dead bait causing ME problems even though I've got NOTHING TO DO WITH THE STINKIN' BAIT or a Sealion on patrol for said bait sees me or someone hooked up to a cuda and goes for that instead of the tossed Sardine. Sound familiar anybody !? ha ha ha

Glad to hear the kid was stoked (great father/son story) and assume the Mako wasn't a smaller pup ...... its approximate weight ?

Got a deckhand with a sense of humor and always says when a whale is pointed out ..... 'Anybody looking at that whale owes me an extra $10 for whale watching fare'.

Look forward to your next adventure,

JapanRon

murrieta angler
08-15-2011, 06:09 AM
Nice report.
Robert
<><