PDA

View Full Version : Skinner 8/13 Rats all around!

P.A.W.
08-13-2011, 03:17 PM
The whole gang met up at the inlet early and the rat fest was on. Pretty much anything "fishy" was catching them. Jerkbaits, smaller flukes, pointer plugs, anchovie, etc... No boils all day. Maybe a lone splash here and there.

My big fish story for the day goes like this.... My starter decided to not work again today so my friend and I couldn't troll since I needed the trolling motor for transportation around the lake. However I let down the u-rig on the way to the dam and was expecting a sure-hit as we passed my favorite spot. Sure enough to my friends amazement I was counting down to the hit wham! I picked up the pole and could feel a violent head shake. This was NOT a 1-2 lb rat. Got him 1/2 way in and OFF he came.... My anchovie swimbait was broken off a 20lb leader.

If you see a guy in a Tracker with no cowl on his motor tomorrow, pull starting his poor Merc it'll be me. I WILL be downrigging tomorrow for another big one.

Hooked Up
08-13-2011, 03:22 PM
Maybe the Big boys are starting to want to play? Good luck tomorrow!

JAG107
08-13-2011, 07:24 PM
OOOOOooooooooooooooo I like that story! Busted off 20lb? Awesome!

TroutOnly
08-14-2011, 10:23 AM
PATRICK YOU BETTER UP THAT LEADER SIZE BY DOUBLE,,,,,,UP AT THE LAKE SAN ANTONIO IM UP TO 60 LB LEADER AND THE 20 LB PIGS ARE HITTING THE DECK,,,THE BIGGER FISH SHOULD BE ON THERE WAY,I HAVE A GUIDE THERE IN A COUPLE WEEKS HOPE TO SEE YOU,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,t/o,,,,,,,,,,,

Slater
08-14-2011, 11:52 AM
Thats good to here some nicer models are starting to go on the chew. Did the trolling thing last week, trying out the u-rig for the first time and it sure out produced our other offerings. Nothing huge though. Goodluck and will post if anything of size shows up.

P.A.W.
08-14-2011, 01:53 PM
Hey Bob, I'll be looking for you. Need to discuss a trolling 202 class.
Today was a different story. Guess word got out that the little guys were on the chew cuz there was a pretty long line at the gate at 6:00am. Everyone made a bee line for the inlet. I wasn't in the mood for gang fishing so I decided to troll around and meter the south shore. HA! ran into a fairly good size boil. Threw jerkbaits at it for some dead-well filler. My buddy Bill and I kinda kept them corraled with our 2 boats until they got tired of us and just went away. I hear the bite at the inlet had just turned off today. After that things were kinda slow. Water level is down a few feet and fish are in around 25-4o foot depths.

mudbuster
08-14-2011, 02:50 PM
I was there too I think your the one who gave us some info and chicken liver if so Thanks again, if not we was in a blue pontoon boat

Big-Bob
08-14-2011, 05:51 PM
I was out there today and chased the boil around for at least an hour. We caught 6 and headed in with them still boiling. I really only fish for LMB but saw the boil so we decided to follow it around. What is the best thing to throw at them when they are doing that?

P.A.W.
08-14-2011, 07:39 PM
For these smaller guys I like a jerk bait or any shallow diving 3 to 5 inch slender minnow looking thing. If the bigger guys are boiling then a topwater like a Spook, Xcalibur or even KPN or Lunker Punker. That's just me though.

JAG107
08-15-2011, 03:56 PM
For these smaller guys I like a jerk bait or any shallow diving 3 to 5 inch slender minnow looking thing. If the bigger guys are boiling then a topwater like a Spook, Xcalibur or even KPN or Lunker Punker. That's just me though.

So an Xrap in size 6 or 8 might work for boils???

TroutOnly
08-15-2011, 04:46 PM
SUPER-SPOOKS,,,,,,,,,,,,,CATCH TWO SCHOOLIES AT A TIME,,,,,,,,,,,,,,s/o,,,,,,,,,,,,