PDA

View Full Version : Big blue fin, blue brothers and blues clues Aug. 12 2011 Aztec san diego

eddiefishtaco
08-13-2011, 02:40 PM
At 6 pm I called Walt, my brother from another mother
and took of to san diego, leaving the wifes mad at us for the sudden decision
to go fishing on a overnight trip, we jumped on the Aztec
since the other boats leave at 9 pm and we live far from San diego
The rumor was, the Blue fin was bitting everything, even the fishing rods..
http://i387.photobucket.com/albums/oo320/eddiefishtaco/bluefinbite.jpg

But the truth is that the fishing was hard yesterday, it was cold in the morning
the deck hands suggested light line, even 15 pound to get bit, but I saw that
and the fish are very jumpy, they scare easily, the boat scares the fish down
and it was frustating when people will yell ..boils! and the fish will go deep
yell "boils" at your dog and see the reaction I told a friend, LoL she'll bit you,
the fish is not that big mostly in the 20s, and a few big ones they said
http://i387.photobucket.com/albums/oo320/eddiefishtaco/regularandgrande.jpg

The live bait fishing was useless, trolling was ignored, so I went to the front of the bow
and casted my home made Rosita swimbait and got bit very quickly
but the fish was a MONSTER the 25 # line
held the bitting of the fish since the swimbait was deep, up in the trhoat
i was lucky because it was a fight from hell, my arms got sore as the fish wanted to go under the boat and you stretch your arms and the rod to avoid
the line from getting cut from the barnicles on the bottom of the boat,
The fish took me around the boat and finally it was gaffed, my arms felt like rubber bands
after the fight I needed a beer and the Budweiser was cold and tasty
beer
http://i387.photobucket.com/albums/oo320/eddiefishtaco/doradosancarlos2011026.jpg
I told my buddy Walt what I used and gave him a Rosita swimbait
he went to the bow and hooked another one right after me
not as big but it was 41 pounds mine close to 50
according to his rapala scale
http://i387.photobucket.com/albums/oo320/eddiefishtaco/bluebrothers.jpg

I was blessed with the jackpot and gave the crew 40 bucks, and my buddy another 40, we always split the cash
for the mess we created
http://i387.photobucket.com/albums/oo320/eddiefishtaco/bfbloodydeck.jpg

Here is the Jackpot fishhttp://i387.photobucket.com/albums/oo320/eddiefishtaco/eddiebluefin2.jpg

sea you laturrr

Hometown
08-13-2011, 02:50 PM
great report and nice blue fin congrats

spotburner
08-13-2011, 03:02 PM
gave the crew 40 bucks from the jackpot! thats pretty weak. u should go out to have a good time not make money. the crew are out there everyday trying to make a living.

Hooked Up
08-13-2011, 03:17 PM
lol_ I am laughing because your arms felt like rubber bands! Which is actually a good feeling when fishing for tuna. It means you are catching fish! Bluefin do fight Good! And great eating too! Nice job on the BF.

jim young
08-13-2011, 04:00 PM
What a FAT ONE!!! The fish is a fat one too!!!

eddiefishtaco
08-14-2011, 12:47 PM
I am starting a diet...not!

eddiefishtaco
08-14-2011, 12:52 PM
gave the crew 40 bucks from the jackpot! thats pretty weak. u should go out to have a good time not make money. the crew are out there everyday trying to make a living.

a tear is coming down my eye ...
waaaa waaaa

dude 40 bucks is enough, they laughed at my swimbait before the catch,
they are lucky I gave them 40, I always split the jackpot with Walt
so they got 80, and I got the last laugh.

CALEB
08-14-2011, 01:22 PM

I find it interesting that we should tip at all. It is not my job or your job to pay the crews wages. That is the job of the
boat owner. If he can belitttle you into thinking that you should tip his workers
effectively paying their wages for him all the better. The ower is snickering under
his breath.....suckers!!! More money for me...me....me.
I am not about to be anyones ... lab dog. I will not be
intimidated into giving someone money for doing the job that they are already
paid to do. Who's falut is it if they are not making enough money..... MINE!!
I think not.If the crew is not making enough
money they should man up and get an education and find a higher paying job.
Don't come whining to me or you with thier hand out because the boss is
shafting them and getting rich at their expense.

When was the last time some tipped you for doing your job ????

Walt.... the other guy in the pics above.
http://i979.photobucket.com/albums/ae276/yessokk/bb20paint1.jpg

JapanRon
08-14-2011, 01:45 PM
Hi eddiefishtaco,

Yep ...... seems like the Bluefin are on the chew !!

Nice goin' !!

JapanRon

fishindude420
08-14-2011, 02:00 PM

Cry me a river,I think 40 bux is MORE then enough.Deckhands would be lucky to get a dime from me anymore. Last few trips the service was terrible and they were expecting to get kicked down with a big fat chunk of the jackpot. F THAT they dont work just for tips they have a job and from what ive been seeing they dont do it very well anymore. The economys tough for everyone right now we shouldnt have to tip them crap unless we want to. I never got tipped when i was up on the roof workin my arse off why should they be special?

BTW nice report man! I cant wait to get out on some tuna this year!

eddiefishtaco
08-14-2011, 02:56 PM
Cry me a river,I think 40 bux is MORE then enough.

BTW nice report man! I cant wait to get out on some tuna this year!

This is the best time to go, but try to get at least a 1.5 day boat
so you can get into the afternoon bite, we left them boiling hard
we were in a overnight boat, and we regretted that.

eddiefishtaco
08-14-2011, 03:08 PM
Hi eddiefishtaco,

Yep ...... seems like the Bluefin are on the chew !!

Nice goin' !!

JapanRon

I am saving nickels and dimes for the next trip
probably in 3 weeks, a 1.5 day boat, lets go!

Hooked Up
08-14-2011, 03:52 PM
Last time I went out the crew automatically took 20% of the JP off the top for themselves to keep from getting stiffed! I believe many or most of the boats do that now? Not only that, but many boats have regulars or friends that enter the JP and if they win it will give it All to them. Of course they will also get the best baits when they are at the bait tank too! I'm just saying_$$$$$ everyone wants some!

eddiefishtaco
08-14-2011, 07:04 PM
lol_ I am laughing because your arms felt like rubber bands! Which is actually a good feeling when fishing for tuna. It means you are catching fish! Bluefin do fight Good! And great eating too! Nice job on the BF.

dude the next day my left elbow was way bigger than my right elbow
-stupid tuna, i wish i had her on my 2 speed, and 40 # line,
but I needed to cast long, so I used a 8ft high modulus graphite rod and a Saltist reel on 25 # line
she kicked my but all around the boat, I looked like a shrimp with a stick LOL

fishindude420
08-14-2011, 08:19 PM
This is the best time to go, but try to get at least a 1.5 day boat
so you can get into the afternoon bite, we left them boiling hard
we were in a overnight boat, and we regretted that.

Thanks for the heads up man we were gonna plan a overnighter this month good thing you told me this! lol. I hate when u gotta leave em biting! Ill defenitely throw some extra cash down for a 1 1/2 now. Might bring a couple homemade swimbaits myself just to mess around with if there really crashing :) The bait will probably break into pieces though when it gets bit! lol

murrieta angler
08-15-2011, 06:03 AM
Hey Eddie,
Good to see you tearing it up and improvising to get the JP.
What is a Rosita, if you don't mind me asking?
Thanks for the nice report and pics,
Robert
<><

CALEB
08-15-2011, 10:22 AM
Last time I went out the crew automatically took 20% of the JP off the top for themselves to keep from getting stiffed! I believe many or most of the boats do that now? Not only that, but many boats have regulars or friends that enter the JP and if they win it will give it All to them. Of course they will also get the best baits when they are at the bait tank too! I'm just saying_$$$$$ everyone wants some!

I just checked ,,, the Aztek had 24 anglers at $10 each that $240.00 they paid out $200 they screwed us
and we did even notice it and we gave them and extra $40.00 on top of what they stole from us.
The next time that happens I will not be so complacent. The California mentality has creeped into our fishing
hobby. Forget honesty, integrity, customer service, being proud of a job well done. It's all about the money
and how much of it can be gotten no matter what the method. Now I got to watch out for the deck hands
stealing money. Who knows what else is being stolen when we are below deck sleeping.

eddiefishtaco
08-15-2011, 03:11 PM
Hey Eddie,
Good to see you tearing it up and improvising to get the JP.
What is a Rosita, if you don't mind me asking?
Thanks for the nice report and pics,
Robert
<><

s up Robert, Rosita is the swimbait I use for big stripers,
and I have been taking it to the big blue lately,
nailed some.dorado a few weeks ago, and blue fin this week,
it is like a fish trap with a Monster tail
in light pink and white, on a owner hook and 3/4 oz jig head

smokehound
08-15-2011, 03:28 PM
gave the crew 40 bucks from the jackpot! thats pretty weak. u should go out to have a good time not make money. the crew are out there everyday trying to make a living.*plays violin*

eddiefishtaco
08-15-2011, 10:08 PM
Robert the swimbait is the one on top of the cooler
http://i387.photobucket.com/albums/oo320/eddiefishtaco/eddiedorado.jpg

30lber
08-15-2011, 10:27 PM
Screw the tip!.
I would watch those decky screw around most of the day
and ignore you much as possible.
At the end of the trip they,ll come running out to assist you
high in joy and waiting for your wallet to be thrown at them.
I think eddie is just to generous for giving 40bucks.
Nice tuna eddie.
Is the rosita lure custom poured?

TroutOnly
08-16-2011, 07:32 AM
Very nice tuna eddie,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

eddiefishtaco
08-16-2011, 07:45 AM
I got lucky, I almost got lucky last night
but I fell asleep

vuanh1
08-17-2011, 09:57 AM
You should check your fact "spotrunner"..he won 200 and he gave 40 as a tip..that's a generous offer already. 20 % tip is very ok to me. So stop thinking like that..

ReveilleDeck
08-18-2011, 01:17 AM
Some jobs are based on tips. Let's say you go to dinner, your waitress takes your drink orders and your food orders. She delivers your meal and refills your drinks. She takes care of your table for maybe 45 mins. and your bill comes to 40.00. Most people tip roughly 15%. The deckhand will help you rig your gear, give you tips on what has been working, gaff your fish, and clean up all those sunflower seed you thought you were spitting over the rail and sometimes even cooks your meals. They do that for at least 12 hours on an overnight trip and you're not going to tip them anything? I guess you don't tip your waitress, valet, bartender.....etc. Deckhands are also responsible for the safety of the passengers too. I have never heard of a bartender saving someone from drowning. Different boats are just like different restraunts, some have better service than others but you can't lump them all together as being useless. As far as the jackpot goes, not all boats take 20% off the top. They should never demand tips but most of them work hard for the tips. Remember, they split the tips between all the "unmanly" "uneducated" crew members. If you think they should "man-up" and demand more pay from the landing owners, then your $200 overnight just turned into a $500 overnight. IMHO I think the tip should depend on the service, but not tipping for a great time........unfair.

ScottD
08-18-2011, 11:16 AM
FORMER DECKHAND RESPONSE

Had to get in on this.

1st- The jackpot is an Optional amount that you can or cannot choose to participate in when you sign the manifest on the boat. You were given $200 because 20 of the 24 people decided to participate.
2nd- Do you tip regardless if you win the jackpot??? I seriously doubt it from your response to this thread.
3rd- What do you expect a deckhand to do when you are not catching fish because the fish are not biting? Do you want the deckhand to freaking entertain you while you wait. Most of the time its the deckhand that gets you bit and finds the fish. How many times have you heard and seen the crew up on the tower on the bridge working hard to find patties and fish? If they sit on their asses and wait for fish they don’t get bit and guess what. No fish = No $$ for a decky.
They make a small base amount from the captain each trip. Let’s say the decky makes $50 a trip for his work all day and night. The crew makes their money on the fish cleaning and tips ( including the Jackpot if given). So on your trip, it appeared the boat caught 3 fish? Uhh even if your cheap butt paid the $15 to have the fish cut, you think that a crew of 4 or so makes much for a day’s work in tips when they get a $40 tip from you and uh well maybe $40 in fish cleaning on a slow trip. $80 for a crew of 4 to split. That sounds like good work. Reality is this. The Jackpot is actually something that is allowed for you as the passenger to get into because it is fun and exciting to catch fish and see who can catch the biggest one. However, it is considered a wager and technically it is not allowed. Should we call the IRS and report the freaking income you just made on the boat? lol I know im getting carried away. Regardless the Jackpot is yours to have and the crew really should not expect to get it all from you. Just as a future reference, consider what you are doing. It cost you $10, consider that a $10 tip to the decky and take the pride of winning the biggest fish. Another tip I will tell you that boats love. Give them the Jackpot and have them clear your Galley tab and clean all your fish for free. They will gladly do that for you. Also ask for a shirt or hat. They have these thing to give you, but they do need the tip as badly as the fishing was, on those days, they rely on that tip to feed their families and survive.
Final advise, don’t ride that boat again. Trust me. They know who you are. They are pissed and I am sure that you might have some difficulties (i.e.; a missed gaff) when you catch another fish. I have seen fish lost at the gaff and I know that it is really easy to gaff a big fat tuna doing circles below. It is also easy to go for a headshot and hit the line as well.
Hope you think about the comments, consider them and take what you want from it. Don’t take it all personal. Just giving a different perspective for others to read about.
Good job on the nice fish and being smart about using the plastic. Use whatever you think will work. Deckhands don’t care, in fact, as you did use it, it led to others getting bit. So nice work.

LBSea
08-18-2011, 11:23 AM
Come On - Let's see this magic lure of yours!

TopwaterTony
08-18-2011, 07:03 PM
I think not.If the crew is not making enough
money they should man up and get an education and find a higher paying job.
Don't come whining to me or you with thier hand out because the boss is
shafting them and getting rich at their expense.

About WHAT he tipped, IMHO it WAS kind of weak, but regardless of what anyone thinks about that, YOUR comment CALEB is #$%king arrogant and ignorant PERIOD!!!

THROWBACK RANGER
08-18-2011, 09:27 PM
the guy in the last pic has a look on his face like, " whats that guy doing with my fish?" lol

eddiefishtaco
08-18-2011, 09:44 PM
Come On - Let's see this magic lure of yours!

It is at the floor, not for sale, home made just for fun
http://i387.photobucket.com/albums/oo320/eddiefishtaco/bluefineddie.jpg

Boys the jackpot tip was $80 bucks, I know they appreciated that,
some people did not tip, because 17 out of 22 got skunk
we also gave them $$ for the galley tip, save the drama.

It was a great fish and put up a great fight.

let's go fishing.

30lber
08-19-2011, 12:06 PM
You go girl!!!

Blackwhitemax
08-19-2011, 12:23 PM
Do you have a pic of the home made Rosita swimbait? I would like to see.

Blackwhitemax
08-19-2011, 12:39 PM
Also if you make some, i would like some? Just name a price please.