PDA

View Full Version : Native Sun Twilight Trip 8/12/11 30 dollar special 6 people

MasterFisherYY
08-13-2011, 02:26 PM
It was pretty good fishing this time out. Giant Bass and to our surprise this time, their was a school of sand bass cruising around the boat. They were biting anchovies and squid head. Don't used striped pieces of squid no luck on that. Make sure the anchovies is alive because this time out they only do and i mean only want live anchovies. Gulp ghost shrimp was excellent. Only problem was the fish were in front of us on a reef so people just dropping it down came home with either nothing or 2. You got to cast your bait far too. Use the dropper loop rig method in which the weight is on top not on the bottom. The bass seem to bite it better. Barracuda action was steady although they weren't biting plastics nor iron. Only anchovies. Sardines didn't work well either. I recommend not the bottom of the boat but the right side of the boat because that's were people were catching the most fish not this time out but previous trips I was on a couple weeks ago. Use a little heavier line because my 20 lb line kept snapping. The bass do fight now and lots of shaking on the rod so just use the railing it effective and won't strain your shoulders. Overall it was an excellent trip. Make sure to tip the crew well to. They deserve it. My group caught 45 sand bass to 5 lbs. No luck on sculpin, rock fish, or barracuda for me. Although one regular caught a giant probably 5 lb sculpin. On Squid head.

Hooked Up
08-13-2011, 02:55 PM
Wow, A 5 lb Sculpin is huge! Possibly a state record? And by bottom of the boat do you mean the stern, and the right side the starboard side? If 5 lb. fish are breaking 20 lb. test then something is wrong with your line (old or frayed) or your drag system on your reel is no good? Thanks for the report.

CastMan
08-13-2011, 05:21 PM
Hooked Up, would a 5 pounder be a state record? Just wondering because back in my late teens early twenties on a 3/4 day trip to Catalina on the Sport King out of LA Harbor a guy pulled in about an 8 pounder, I remember that quite well. Never seen one as big since.

Hooked Up
08-13-2011, 07:03 PM
Yes it would according to California Saltwater Angling Records. As a matter of fact 3 lbs. is the record right now. According to my Rockfish chart that I got from the DFG the maximum length of Sculpin (Scorpaena guttata) is 17 inches. For ANY fish to be 8 or even 5 lbs. and only 17 inches long it would have to be the shape of a basketball! That is why pictures and other proof are sometimes needed. I am just saying what I am reading. If I caught a 5 lb. Sculpin (California Scorpionfish) My name would be in the record books!

JapanRon
08-13-2011, 10:32 PM
Hi MasterFisherYY,

Excellent detail in your report !! That's the kind/level of information that will help other anglers realize a more successful trip ...... even if they go a couple of days down the road.

On distance casting a dropper-loop rig with an anchovie ..... I'm guessing you were fishing shallow thus maybe a 2oz sinker and feathered the cast for a soft landing. Are you using spinning outfits ? Any more weight and the bait often gets knocked off with regular hooks.... at least it did when I fished meat.

$30 for a trip is cheap that's for sure.

Again, thanks for the thorough report ...... now ...... when do we start seeing photos ?! ha ha ha

JapanRon

murrieta angler
08-15-2011, 06:07 AM
Nice report and good info.
Thanks,
Robert
<><

MasterFisherYY
08-15-2011, 12:24 PM
It was 4lb 7 ounces. Also no way dude. I changed my line yesterday and i only buy seagaur.

ushone
08-15-2011, 12:50 PM
id still have to say something is wrong, ive never heard of single digit fish busting 20lb line, unless you want to count getting tangled/snagged in something because of a fish

farmacist
08-15-2011, 12:56 PM
The REEF would be the line snapping culprit, not the weight of the fish. Nothing wrong, just comes w/ the territory when you have to fish tight to the structure. Thanks for the report!