PDA

View Full Version : Best Sunglass lens color

P.A.W.
08-12-2011, 05:10 PM
I'm not looking for brand recomendations because I'm having some prescription sunglasses made for fishing. They have a bunch of different colors to choose from. Grey, green, smoke, amber etc. So for x-ray vision in fairly clear water what would you get? Obviously they'll be polarized.

The other option is some good clipons IF they exhist. I've had fairly good luck with the cheapies at Walmart, but they just don't have that glare cutting ability that a gooood pair of sunglasses have. I dropped some coin on the Cocoons at Bass Pro shop, but they are pretty bulky and look like I just came from eye surgery.

Soooo any recomendations would be appreciated. Thanks!

smokehound
08-12-2011, 07:45 PM
Any dark color that allows me to sneak a peak at some bewbs without being caught staring is a definite plus.

P.A.W.
08-12-2011, 07:59 PM
HA! Mirrored it is then!

DarkShadow
08-16-2011, 08:43 AM
P.A.W,

Make sure you try to go with polycarbonate. Don't need glass lenses shattering in a freak scenario.

I usually roll with interchangeable lenses, and swap them out depending on available light. I prefer 'amber' colored lenses during low light hours, and switch to deep blue/gray when the sun is over head.

And, i've noticed that with Oakley's lenses, they seem to highlight certain colors underwater depending on the color of the lens.

i feed fish
08-16-2011, 09:12 AM
the correct answer to this question is what light condition will you be fishing under?

sweetfish
08-16-2011, 09:24 AM
P.A.W,

Make sure you try to go with polycarbonate. Don't need glass lenses shattering in a freak scenario.

I usually roll with interchangeable lenses, and swap them out depending on available light. I prefer 'amber' colored lenses during low light hours, and switch to deep blue/gray when the sun is over head.

And, i've noticed that with Oakley's lenses, they seem to highlight certain colors underwater depending on the color of the lens.

I second that. I have Oakley half jackets and use amber for low light and blue iridium for sunny conditions.

vanillagurilla
08-16-2011, 01:56 PM
blue mirror when its sunny and your on the ocean, for lakes in sun go with a grey, lower light conditions amber. PS GLASS LENSES DONT "SHATTER" lol seriously?

DarkShadow
08-16-2011, 02:25 PM
PS GLASS LENSES DONT "SHATTER" lol seriously?

They make melt away glass lenses now? Awesome.

So, what kind of word would you use to describe glass when it breaks?

I suggest you avoid glass lenses if you can because I feel they are too heavy to wear all day, more uncomfortable, and more prone to slippage and breakage than some other materials. http://www.bassdozer.com/articles/fishing_sunglasses.shtml

http://www.allaboutvision.com/art117/safety3sm.jpg

In this test, a BB was shot at three different lenses worn by a mannequin. The first lens, made of polycarbonate, didn't break into pieces because it had more "give." The second lens (plastic) and third lens (glass) were completely shattered. Never try this test at home because of risk of serious injury.

http://www.allaboutvision.com/lenses/polycarb.htm

Lady Quagga
08-16-2011, 04:57 PM
So, what kind of word would you use to describe glass when it breaks?

Hey, maybe in some alternate reality (perhaps one where albino primates thrive), glasses don't shatter.

vanillagurilla
08-16-2011, 05:16 PM
i see you didnt post the part where it said that the tests were done with "regular" plastic and glass lenses, probly something not designed for out door sports with little or NO impact resistance so there brand of lens would come out ontop. i highly dout that costas or maui jims dont have impact resistant lenses. most new glass lenses are impact resistant and tempered so they DONT shatter, but if they break they'll stay together. Also the clarity diff between glass and poly is uncomparable. Glass is also MUCH more scratch/chip resistant, they'll sustain a drop on asphalt with no damage while polys will have scratches, dents, or chips in the lense.

evosamurai
08-16-2011, 05:39 PM
i have oakley fuel cells they are awesome and scratch resistant

P.A.W.
08-16-2011, 05:46 PM
Much of what Vanilla says is true. I'm almost 60 and have been wearing glasses since I was 12. Polycarbs are indeed MUCH lighter but they do scratch more easily than glass. Modern glass won't shatter except in extreme conditions. I used to be a stone mason and had numerous missiles hit my face and glasses and just bounce off. With a fairly heavy prescription plastic will be a bit thicker too.

Anyway thanks guys for the color recomendations. These unfortunately will have to cover a variety of conditions. My cocoons are amber so maybe I'll get some blue/grey for higher light conditions and use both.

evosamurai
08-16-2011, 05:59 PM
$5 pair of rip off westcoast choppers at your local gas station

Lady Quagga
08-16-2011, 07:59 PM
i see you didnt post the part where it said that the tests were done with "regular" plastic and glass lenses, probly something not designed for out door sports with little or NO impact resistance so there brand of lens would come out ontop. i highly dout that costas or maui jims dont have impact resistant lenses. most new glass lenses are impact resistant and tempered so they DONT shatter, but if they break they'll stay together. Also the clarity diff between glass and poly is uncomparable. Glass is also MUCH more scratch/chip resistant, they'll sustain a drop on asphalt with no damage while polys will have scratches, dents, or chips in the lense.

Might have wanted to do you homework before name-dropping.

From Maui Jim's:

"When durability and protection against shattering are the priority, Polycarbonate will stand up to your most intense activities. This lens is scratch and impact-resistant, and injection molded for crisp optics. The lightest choice for long days in the sun."

From Costa Del Mar:

"IMPACT RESISTANT - We know the type of people that wear Costas and we know the type of things they spend their time doing. Costa 580P lenses have been tested to meet or exceed the rigorous impact standards set forth by the American National Standards Institute, including ANSI Z80.3 and ANSI Z87.1."

Costa's 580P (polycarbonate) lenses meet higher impact-resistance standards than their 580G (glass) lenses. And they claim the 580P's are "the clearest lenses on the planet".

So while both companies have glass lenses which meet or exceed federally-mandated requirements, they clearly see polycarbonate as the (ahem, pun) clearer choice for impact resistance. Oakley has gone so far as to demonstrate in testing how their polycarbonate lenses have the clarity of glass lenses.

As far as scratch-resistance is concerned, most reputable companies treat their lenses, regardless of material, to be scratch-resistant. I won't argue the quality of lenses you find on the WalMart racks.

But since everyone loves anecdotal evidence, here is my take: I am wearing Ray-Ban half-frame polycarbonate prescription lenses as I type this. These glasses have been though the war; they've been dropped, sat on, left in the scorching heat of a car, smudged, washed in the laundry, humiliated & insulted. They have not "fogged", and have suffered only one scratch from an atypical impact.

GotBass?
08-18-2011, 11:32 AM
Really?? Unless I missed it not a single person said Wiley X Sunglasses. I have used many polarized glasses including Oakley, Maui Jim and many other popular sunglasses but I just got a new pair of Wiley X Xcess and absolutely LOVE THEM! They cut glare better then any pair I've ever owned and the scratch resistant finish is extremely tough!

Lens color makes a huge difference. I prefer an amber tinted lens for 60 - 70% of my fishing. It doesnt allow you to see true color but the advantage is the help in the contrast of colors. If Im out on the water during peak sunlight hours (say noon to 4pm) I switch to a grey lens to help cut glare more and see true color but lose the advantage of the contrast.

P.A.W.
08-18-2011, 05:44 PM
I think the reason noone suggested Wiley is that I asked not to suggest name brands, but simply colors. I was hoping to keep the thread narrow and focused on that issue alone.