PDA

View Full Version : Saltwater Lures

reservoir dog
08-12-2011, 04:34 PM
Question for saltwater anglers, can you use freshwater lures in saltwater? I normally fish plastics in freshwater but have wondered if they would work in saltwater as well.

RiverWalker
08-12-2011, 05:17 PM
Hey Reservoir Dog...

I consider myself more of a Freshwater Angler but I do and have fished in the Salt all my life as well. Based on my own experiences, the answer is yes. Of course depending on what types of plastics or lures you plan to use on what your targeting in the salt. I've messed around in the past and caught Perch, Beans, Leopard sharks, YFC, Calicos, Sandy bass, etc using trout lures and jigs. Most fresh water lures and plastics are pretty much the same as salt but in a smaller size. After all, they both do the same. Imitate bait fish or worms. Some fresh water lures that worked for me in the past are Kastmasters, small spoons like Thomas Buoyants, Mini Jigs, Rapala's, and even trout worms. Casting them out kind of sucks though because of the weight and the fresh water hooks have less strength as well. I wouldn't recommend it though for reasons I just mentioned unless you just want to experiment just I did. I was wondering the same thing so I gave it a try a few times. Good luck!

CraigH
08-12-2011, 07:32 PM
Almost all of my saltwater experience is on half day to two day boats rather than surf or bay fishing, but I can say freshwater plastics definitely work for sand and calico bass. I take 4 inch metalic blue twin tail grubs on every trip (happened to buy a large quantity). Just make sure you use jig heads with heavy duty hooks. Calico's can bend a lot of freshwater hooks. Also, if you were thinking of fishing hard plastics a lot of boats won't let you fish them because of the multiple hooks / greater chance of hooking the guy next to you.

Ambassadorhawg
08-13-2011, 04:50 PM
Yes, I've caught s/w bass on crankbaits, jerkbaits, swimbaits, flukes, spinnerbaits, plastic worms, hair jigs, rubber skirted jigs, spoons, tailspinners....oh yeah, they work well but the s/w fish are gunna tear that stuff apart so don't expect the lures to be in good condition after you catch on them, LOL!