PDA

View Full Version : Transporting reels

gavin310
08-11-2011, 12:23 PM
I have about 16 reels that I need to take on an airplane (6 conventional, 10 spinning). I'm limited on space, so I need to compact them as much as possible. Keeping them in their original boxes will take up way too much space. My question is, how do I have my reels take up the least amount of space while minimizing the risk of damaging them? I'd rather not disassemble them if possible. They need to go into a big 70 liter backpack, along with clothes, shoes, etc. Should I just wrap them all up together very tightly in a couple towels? It's obviously the spinning reels I'm most worries about.

Karyn
08-11-2011, 12:42 PM
have you seen those storage bags where you put your clothes in and take out the air? I'm thinking that if you space the reels out, and suck the air out, the plastic will "shrink wrap" them into place and keep them from smooshing around...Then maybe wrap them in towels and clothes for extra cushion??? Just thinking...

jowo
08-11-2011, 03:49 PM
stick them in socks.

heydaad
08-11-2011, 04:01 PM
I use the sock method all the time ... use thick cotton or wool ones for more protection, and be sure to remove or fold the handles on the spinners to avoid bending or breaking.

brent233
08-14-2011, 06:52 PM
Ship them UPS or Fedex in advance

calico killer kevin
08-15-2011, 11:12 AM
Shipping them would be the most secure.
Seems like you're going to be packing them in pretty tight.
Problem with the sock method is that you will most likely
bend the bails. THat is the most frequent spinner damage
I see.

gavin310
08-15-2011, 11:16 AM
Problem with that is that I'm moving to Thailand and I don't have an address yet and the shipping will be pricey.

I could just take the bails off, but I've only disassembled a bail once from a reel and I actually had trouble getting it back on correctly, but that was a long time ago. Should taking the bails off and putting them back on be a simple thing? Seems like it should be... If I remember correctly there was some spring I couldn't get back in correctly.

calico killer kevin
08-15-2011, 11:34 AM
I hate servicing Spinners, the few that I have. Not big on springs myself.
Contact a local tackle shop. They may let you send the reels to them.
Otherwise, wrap them in towels, sock them, then carry them on. They
may or may not let you keep your line though.

wackyrigged
08-15-2011, 07:58 PM
A wicked sick bubble wrap job. Taking off handle and maybe bails is an option. Yes bails are a bit tricky to put back but usually I can get it put back together pretty quickly.(and im no pro) Remember to also mark or tape the parts to each reel, that would make them pretty small. Oh almost forgot you could always sell some them 2 me 4 dirtcheap that would save u some room JK GOODLUCK in your journey's

bdeemo
08-24-2011, 09:06 PM
stick them in socks. this.................

gavin310
08-25-2011, 10:54 AM
Turns out my dad has a fishing reel case that can hold a bunch of reels, so I think that will work. Gonna pick it up today...

oakboy
08-25-2011, 10:13 PM
You could move there then have a friend ship them to you from the US to Thailand.

<><
KP