PDA

View Full Version : Surf Perch in Malibu

Coefficient13
08-10-2011, 02:21 PM
Been destroying them the past month. Realized I had better post.

I'm sure everyone does fine on them, but while fishing everyone I've see save one guy hasn't been catching a thing while whoever I'm with and myself catch 10 each in real short time.

Carolina rig, Berkeley gulp sand worms, green and grown colored, top two digits of your pinky finger long, pieces or buy the short guys. Pieces is nice as they'll bite any part and you can vary the size. Hammer hooked will help prevent line twist (nose hooked). Flourocarbon line must be stiff, not too pliable like some, so that it is strong enough to spin the swivel. I used 8 Lb Pline leader on 10-12 lb mono. Owner Mosquito size 6 I believe. I used 2 hurricane beads on this setup, as well as the lazy clip swivel to leader setup. I kinda doubt the whole them clicking (the beads) attracts fish thing, but what the heck, long as it's working I'm leaving it.

18" lead 1/2 ounce usual - 14" lead 3/4 in heavy surf.

I bought a 25 buck rod and reel combo in 6 1/2' setup to keep my freshwater gear clear of the ocean. Medium light action with lure weight up to 3/4 ounce rating.

I averaged 10 fish, different kinds of surf perch got one I dunno what the heck it was (big brother of the slightly spiney looking guys you see in tide pools, small) and one smelt as well.

Varied my retrieves greatly every few casts if no bites. Med slow did the trick generally, but a slow with pauses or quick did the trick when it was slow going.

I came up with another trick for short bites when the bite was on, but it sucked this last trip when the fish were swallowing it real deep so I'm going to do more testing before I reveal it.

Best part is that i got to take some people fishing who didn't know a thing and get them hooked up and having a good time. Well that and the lovely view.

That's as exact as I can get, I didn't hold back, brands and all. Get you some fish if the notion grabs you. Varied areas around Sycamore Cove State Beach, anywhere that looks good in that big stretch of road and there's free parking is a good start.

DockRat
08-11-2011, 05:44 AM
That's the way to get er done!
Dude, $25 rod and reel over bent hooking up, don't get any better.
Thanks for the report. DR

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u9/dwnhllrcrmg/malibu.jpg