PDA

View Full Version : mono village vs. rock creek lake area

bluecat
08-10-2011, 11:46 AM
Ok,
the question is, going up labor day weekend. never been to rock creek lake .Is camping as nice as mono village at upper twin? there i fish the robinson creek, east walker, and the virgina lakes. float tubing mostly.
thanks

ityperx
08-10-2011, 12:01 PM
Camping rock creek is great unless your going there on a holiday then, good luck! It'll be hard to find a spot available. Not sure how mono village is so I can't really compared the two.

golfish
08-10-2011, 02:15 PM
I'd reserve a spot now, or your camping at french camp behind toms place..unless you get lucky. I like Mono Village because they have showers, the store is there, lakes are close and lots of bear fun.

last time we stayed there this guy had a small flat bed trailor with about 5 large ice chest in it..first night they all got raided, second night he strapped em in with rope, they all got raided. Third night he used tie downs and more rope...they all got raided. Fourth night, he left :) Always have bear fun there.

If your float tubing, I'd stay at French Camp and drive over to Leighton springs (Crowley) and launch your tube. I camp a lot at French just because I used to fish Crowley a lot.

Back to your question..Up closer to the lake the camping is equal. Rock Creek lake is about 10k feet so it gets colder up there then Mono (I think Mono is about 7k)

The Mammoth lakes are good too, I'd still try and get a spot reserved before you go.