PDA

View Full Version : Light tackle Surf Fishing Newport beach 7/9 *No pics

smokehound
08-09-2011, 10:28 PM
Got to the beach at 5:50 am in hopes of finding some corbina.., it was early and the sandcrabs were still deep, high tide was approaching.

It took me a while, but I managed to scoop up some good sandcrabs, packed with roe, quite a few softshells in the mix. Nice and freshly molted, at that.

First cast around 6:30, and immediately hooked up on a 10 inch BSP. Second cast, and another ten-incher. Third cast, I caught a smaller BSP, had a strange compressed appearance..

After that, the bites started slowing down, Since the sandcrabs were soft, the smaller fish kept ripping them apart.

No sliders spotted. Soon within the hour (9:00 AM) after my seventh Ten inch Perch, (I swear all of them were the same exact size) I felt a sharp tug followed by a few good runs (remember light tackle)..

At first I thought I had a Corbina, but it turned out to be a 20-inch guitar fish, on four-pound test. Not a bad fight at all. The perch were fighting great on the light setup. I was hoping for a 6+ pound corbina, but oh well. At least I found some Decent, hard-fighting perch, and a nice juvenile guitar.

I took it easy after that, and walked over to the pier, to check things out, and possibly catch some Mackerel for shark bait. (brought my uglystick for that) the whole left side of the pier was crammed full of snaggers, ensnaring several nice Spotfin Croakers. Punks. Because of that, I couldn't get any spotfin bites, even after going back down to the beach, and casting just out of their range!

After that, I decided to toss a flylined sandcrab around the storm drains. Got one bite, but failed to hook the fish. (might have been a batray, tons of babies all over the harbor)

After no luck, and returning to the surf without any bites, I decided to go home. The beach was getting packed, and the sunlight seemed to kill the bite.

Sorry for the lack of pics. Forgot my camera X(

All in all, had a great day, and saw lots of hot girls.

Ifishtoolittle
08-09-2011, 11:04 PM
Why you no bring camera?!?! I don't care for fish pics it's pics of the beach and it's "scenery" that I want to see. :LOL: Sounds like a fun day out regardless of the punks you had to deal with.

boxl0bster
08-10-2011, 01:49 AM
sounds like a nice day in the surf. that guitar fish must have been a blast. thanks for the report.:Cool:

DockRat
08-10-2011, 06:56 AM
Godd job on the Bean attempt. 20" sngf is pretty cool.

saw lots of hot girls.

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm313/forevaurlova03/fn_CCDWD.jpg

murrieta angler
08-15-2011, 05:08 AM
Nice report Smoke,
Robert
<><