PDA

View Full Version : Catastrophe Hiking at Onion Valley( Golden Trout Lakes Trail

Carrie
08-12-2007, 08:33 PM
So I would’ve posted this as a fishing report with fish but it didn’t quite turn out the way I thought it would. I originally started off on Sat , August 11th, planning to explore Onion Valley and hike a trail to a lake to fish.
Here are some pics on the way to Onion Valley from the fire:

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z121/cjhearn_photos/0811071316.jpg

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z121/cjhearn_photos/0811071317.jpg

When I got there I decided to hike up Kearsarge Pass and took the Golden Trout Lakes trail. I don’t think I have hiked a trail this difficult before. There were falling rocks and it was really hard to figure out where the trail was. I took several rest breaks, drank water, etc. I was determined because I really wanted to catch a golden trout! Later, I came across some older men on the way up whom I educated about Manzanar and shared stories of the Sierras with. They informed me I was only halfway up the trail, and I was exhausted! They told me there were some gorgeous lakes up there with goldens in them. That gave me more motivation.

Now I already have weak ankles (runs in the family) so this is where stuff went wrong. About 10 mins after the guys left and I started hiking again all of a sudden my ankle gave out and snapped. Unfortunately, I fell over and just sat in the middle of the trail for 20 mins by myself. What a mess! All I could think was…..is my right ankle broken? Are there bears around? Are there any more people around here? Of course there was no phone reception up here.

I attempted to get up and see what would happen. I could still walk on it but it was sore and hurt. I felt a lump in the middle of my ankle. After that I was down like a shot to the bottom of the trail. Fishing was out!!

Here is a view of the waterfall on the way down the trail:
http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z121/cjhearn_photos/0811071656.jpg

I fell 3 times on the way back down and of course it was hard. Luckily there were people around, but I will never hike alone again after this. Me thinking I am superwoman and would be fine was clearly too much over confidence from the beginning.

Unfortunately, I never did get to the top or catch a golden, but I am still determined to find a place to fish for them and catch one.

To make a long story short my ankle throbbed last night, and I went to the Lone Pine hospital today to get it x-rayed. Luckily, nothing was broken but my ankle is sprained. Have to wear a splint for awhile now. It is going to be some fun times walking around Manzanar like a gimp now…lol. Luckily, I am now done with the boys and my work is transferring over to working the front desk, doing historical paper work, etc.

My leg:
http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z121/cjhearn_photos/0812071936.jpg

Sooo……anyone else ever hiked these trails and been successful catching anything at Onion Valley?

xtranzman
08-12-2007, 09:15 PM
Wow Carrie that sucks.

I have to say one thing. It doesn't matter what kind of report you are writing they are a great read.

Pretty devastating pictures of the fire aftermath. I couldn't believe what it looked like when we went through. Thanks for the closer look.

Get some rest and get that ankle better.

X

Granny Fish
08-12-2007, 09:23 PM
Sooo……anyone else ever hiked these trails and been successful catching anything at Onion Valley?

Yes to both questions. It's sad for me to see all the fire damage up there, but I know in no time nature will take its course and it will be more beautiful than ever.

Kearsarge Pass pass is a little difficult. Steep and a lot of switch backs. The lakes are full of trout if you have the stamina to get up there. If you don't Onion Valley which is known for the variety of wildflowers, among other things, has a creek that runs through it and down the mountain into Independence. That creek doesn't look like it would have fish, but it does. Lots of goldens and browns. :wink:

Hope your leg gets better and you are able to get up there again!

FemaleFishinFool
08-12-2007, 10:34 PM
Sorry to hear about your injury, Carrie :cry:

You'll be on the mend in no time and back to what you love :wink:

FFF

troutdog
08-12-2007, 10:40 PM
Wishing you a quick recovery, no more hiking alone missy. :) Could have been a lot worse....and don't worry you'll get your golden trout yet! Keep us updated and take care.

TD

Wingnut
08-13-2007, 11:30 AM
What a bummer, hope you heal fast & back out there soon! Take care Carrie.

smokehound
08-13-2007, 11:37 AM
awww... that sucks :( Well even if it ended like that, its a good story to tell everyone at a bar :)

one_leg
08-13-2007, 11:39 AM
Carrie, was I that bad of a dancer that you feel you have to come up with such a lame excuse for not being able to dance with me again?....lol...j/k

I hope you get well soon so we can dance together again in the future.

Was there a stream nearby that had cold water running in it?
You could have reduced the swelling by immersing it in cold water for 20 to 30 minutes.

Even during your time off you are out there educating people about the camp. Hardcore. I love it!!!!!

One_Leg

Troutman65
08-13-2007, 03:19 PM
Carrie, Sorry to hear about your accident. One should never go out hiking alone . Hope you get up and around soon. Take it easy for a few.

Troutman65

Gary C.
08-13-2007, 04:29 PM

I've hiked the main trail to Keararge Pass a couple of times. Never hike the trail to Golden trout Lakes though. Backpacked to Kearsarge lakes the weekend before last. I caught tons of Brookies. I'll post a report with pics later.
Gary C.

Gary C.
08-13-2007, 04:46 PM
Carrie, here is a link to my report.
Gary C.

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum1/viewto ... highlight= (http://fishingnetwork.net/forum1/viewtopic.php?t=6451&highlight=)

one_leg
08-15-2007, 10:03 AM
Carrie, PM sent.

One_Leg

Fisher-of-Men
08-15-2007, 10:44 AM
Ouch! Sorry to hear about your ankle. :(

Were you wearing a good pair of hiking boots?

Fisher-of-Men

Marley
08-15-2007, 09:42 PM
Egad! You got very lucky! I've been to Onion Valley only once and I have to admit, I was disappointed. In all fairness, it was October and everything was going to "sleep" for the winter. That switchback trail up the cliff :lol: looked scary. And at 10,000 feet, I betcha it wasn't exactly easy to breathe.
I'm curious, though. I would feel safer with a sidearm. Could be used as protection or as a signalling device. Are they allowed, or do you just prefer not to carry? No judgement, just curious. I've actually thought about taking mine when I make it up/back that far.
Also, sent you a PM.

Fisher-of-Men
08-15-2007, 10:28 PM
Egad! You got very lucky! I've been to Onion Valley only once and I have to admit, I was disappointed. In all fairness, it was October and everything was going to "sleep" for the winter. That switchback trail up the cliff :lol: looked scary. And at 10,000 feet, I betcha it wasn't exactly easy to breathe.
I'm curious, though. I would feel safer with a sidearm. Could be used as protection or as a signalling device. Are they allowed, or do you just prefer not to carry? No judgement, just curious. I've actually thought about taking mine when I make it up/back that far.
Also, sent you a PM.

That area is part of Inyo National Forest Marley. No firearms or hunting is permitted up in those parts. I suggest you buy yourself a large can of bear spray (pepper spray for large animals)and get a get a good size Buck knife. That should be all the defense you'll need.

Fisher-of-Men

Carrie
08-16-2007, 08:27 PM
Hey everyone!

Thanks for all the comments! My ankle is much better. I was wearing that brace but I have not worn it now since I can walk better without it. My ankle still hurts some but it is doing much better. Still been doing tons of work around Manzanar and not with my boys anymore. Now I am everywhere.....interp center indoors and outside helping the maintenance guys. I don;'t know how I will ever move back home at the end of this. Becoming quite fond of this place and all the staff at Manzanar.

And no I do not have a gun. I wish I owned one...maybe later. It is very hard to hike alone with rough trails but I think after this accident I have found more hiking buddies at work.... :D

Greg Madrigal
08-19-2007, 11:34 AM
Yikes Carrie....Sorry bout that. Hope you feel better soon.

Greg