PDA

View Full Version : Powerworms stiffening in near freezing waters....?

Ultralight
08-08-2011, 09:41 PM
I've noticed while fishing in the Sierras late in the season when the weather turns cold that Berkley Powerworms seem to turn stiff. They no longer have as active and fluid action as when the water is warmer.

Can anyone suggest a solution that may make them softer at near freezing temperatures? And are there other plastic worms that may stay softer all the way down to freezing temperatures?

Thanks,
UL

smokehound
08-08-2011, 09:53 PM
You can get really tiny scissors, and score VERY CAREFULLY along the worm. this will help give it a bit of flexibility..

Why not use kastmasters/super dupers/roostertails instead? Roostertails are excellent for cold water. In fact, roostertails are one of my go-to lures for early spring LMB.

calico killer kevin
08-08-2011, 10:03 PM
Throw them in a pot of boiling water for a few seconds.
This soften them up quite a bit.
I like to do this with my DS worms.

DarkShadow
08-09-2011, 01:34 PM
Anyone else have a problem with their power worm shrinking when exposed to cold water?

:Neutral:

Cangler
08-09-2011, 01:43 PM
Anyone else have a problem with their power worm shrinking when exposed to cold water?

:Neutral:

Classic Seinfeld moment

evosamurai
08-09-2011, 03:15 PM
yeah, like a turtle hiding its head

Ultralight
08-09-2011, 04:37 PM
Thanks everyone.

Yes, I could try cutting it with a razor and see how it fares.

As to boiling, I wonder if it will just reharden in the cold - plus the loss of scent that is part of the powerworm stuff.

Anyone know if the bottled powerworm scent is the same scent as on the powerworm itself?

Thanks,
UL

Trout Daddy
08-10-2011, 09:02 PM
Drews customs trout worms havent had this problem. Give them a try