PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion on Eastern Sierra fishing spots and baits

Trout Bagger
08-08-2011, 06:49 PM
I took my 9 year old son fishing for the 1st time last Septemeber to June and Gull Lakes. We were blown off the lakes the st two days, so I took him to what I think would be called Upper Lee Vining Creek. We tried salmon eggs with a aplit shot, but had no lucj there either. He was pretty disappointed with our 3 day trip.
My question for all of you would be any advice to a novice fisheramn (me) on what creeks and streams in the Eastern Sierra area would be good for a kid to catch his first fish at, and possibly what baits to use?
We are planning another trip middle of next mont and I don't want to see him get disapppointed again. My fishing experience is very limited, so please don't think you are hurting my feelings with what you might think is common sense information.
Thank you.

LBSea
08-08-2011, 07:54 PM
I was going to say with a name like trout bagger that you should have some advice for me. Being honest about your situation is why I am writing. Rivers are not the easiest place to start kids off on trout fishing. They can challenge the best fly fishermen so with that said find a lake that is producing like south lake above bishop and rent a boat for half a day. You will be able to troll spinners, move from spot to spot easy and if you don't catch anything your kid can drive the boat and tell all his friends. Lake in the sierras are loaded with fish right now but due to the heavy snow pack most rivers have been unfishable this season.

For bait try mini jigs or trout jigs with 2-4 lb test. Cast that and retrieve slowly. I like using some sort of scent to attract the fish and they tend to hold on a little longer to set the hook.

Good luck

fishfinder
08-08-2011, 08:14 PM
I always find the fishing a bit tuff at this time of year up there and that is when i head to the high country. above rock creek lake is a good place for a novice to start. 1/2 mile hike to the first lake. there are quite afew lakes within the first mile hike. these lakes are full of small brook trout that are easy to catch. plus the streams inbetween the lake have a nice population of brookies. http://www.rockcreeklake.com/virtual/llvalley/1.htm take a look at this virtual hike and see if it is for you. very enjoyable day hike. remeber to bring a jacket, and mosquito repelant. last time i was there was the last week in june a couple years ago, and we got caught in a snow storm back there. probably safe from that next month though.

Hooked Up
08-08-2011, 08:39 PM
First thing I do is "look" to see where the best fishing is for the "type" of fishing I am going to do (what body of water do I want to go too)? Second thing I do is look at the weather report for the place I want to fish? If it's going to rain or be to windy I will not go there at that time or I will go somewhere else. I do not think anyone likes getting skunked!? But even more so with children. Fishing in the Sierra's is relatively easy once you learn the ropes. PM me if you want more info?

Trout Bagger
08-08-2011, 08:45 PM
"I was going to say with a name like trout bagger that you should have some advice for me. For bait try mini jigs or trout jigs with 2-4 lb test."

I had to pick a user name, so i went positive and went with the "Trout Bagger" name.LOL

Probably a dumb question...but what is a "Mini jig" or a "trout jig"? I apologize for being a rookie.

jeff4321
08-08-2011, 08:49 PM
South LAKE BISHOP!

GotBass?
08-08-2011, 08:55 PM
South LAKE BISHOP!

^what he said

darla
08-08-2011, 10:18 PM
And don't forget the infamous "INTAKE II" while up at South Lake!

golfish
08-09-2011, 03:26 PM
I have fished lake Mary (I want to say its the east side, right by the elevation sign) the last three years in mid to late Sept with my kids. Its wide open using Rainbow Powerbait. #16 trebble hook on 2# test line, tied to a swivel with a sliding sinker above the swivel. Lake Mamie was good too by the outlet. We are going up their again this year, just not sure what date. Got a new float tube and fly rod for my son, he's been out back practicing his casting for a few weeks..I wonder how he's going to handle that 18" bow the first time he hooks at Crowley

Trout Bagger
08-09-2011, 04:21 PM
I have fished lake Mary (I want to say its the east side, right by the elevation sign) the last three years in mid to late Sept with my kids. Its wide open using Rainbow Powerbait. #16 trebble hook on 2# test line, tied to a swivel with a sliding sinker above the swivel. Lake Mamie was good too by the outlet. We are going up their again this year, just not sure what date. Got a new float tube and fly rod for my son, he's been out back practicing his casting for a few weeks..I wonder how he's going to handle that 18" bow the first time he hooks at Crowley

Thank you Golfish. That is exactly the info and help i was looking for.
Also, LBS posted on here about using a "Mini jig" or a "trout jig". Do you know what that is??? Sorry if that is a dumb question.

JAG107
08-09-2011, 05:10 PM
Wow, google is awesome.

http://www.google.com/search?q=trout+mini+jig&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a#q=trout+mini+jig&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=ucc&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=ivns&source=univ&tbm=shop&tbo=u&sa=X&ei=xMtBTsuPIKrkiAKP3sXMBQ&ved=0CHkQrQQ&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=22a3c8e5b111edd2&biw=1024&bih=665

http://minijigs.com/index.htm

Have fun!

Frequent Flyer
08-09-2011, 05:11 PM
a mini jig is something that looks lik a squid but plastic with the hook alredy in it. they work well as u bounce ur rod tip up and down or if u attach a bobber a couple feet above and twitch ur rod tip slightly wen retrieving

golfish
08-09-2011, 05:16 PM
I'm not a bait fisherman so the advice using the jigs is worth reading. I kind of like the powerworms myself. The good thing about this advice is you can catch and release fish all day long and never have to clean em :)

Good luck, maybe we will see ya up there next month

LBSea
08-10-2011, 11:32 AM
Thank you Golfish. That is exactly the info and help i was looking for.
Also, LBS posted on here about using a "Mini jig" or a "trout jig". Do you know what that is??? Sorry if that is a dumb question.

TB,
Google Trout or Mini Jigs and you will see what I mean. Lip Ripper makes some cool ones with tails attached. Anther good bait is the Power Mouse. This is made by combining a Berkly Power Egg w/ Berkly Power Worm. Google Power Mouse and you will see what I mean. If you walk into any Turners or Tackle store and ask they will point you to a wall of these things.

I have missed a lot of bites by using a bobber on top of the mini jig so I would suggest not using a bobber and just cast and retrieve instead. The bobber creates too much slack and when you set the hook the slack alows the trout to feel the line moving and let go of the mini jig. When I took the bobber off it was game on for me.

Good Luck.

Trout Bagger
08-11-2011, 01:19 PM
Thanks LBSea. My son and I will be trying out the pointers next month.

billy b
08-12-2011, 10:37 AM
LBSea

My problem is frustration with not getting very far out ... particularly on a 1/32 mjig ... I often try the 1/16