PDA

View Full Version : Every pond's infested with turtle's

KILLA
08-08-2011, 01:27 PM
Man I've seen a few here and there in the past, but now, they're everywhere. Any input on the best way to remove turtle's from a pond with out killing them? Bastard's are mean too.

tacklejunkie
08-08-2011, 01:31 PM
Tell them you'll infest their shells with quaggas. They'll be out.
Quagginator strikes again!

They dont hit the chatter? I think you need to change your trailer.

DarkShadow
08-08-2011, 01:50 PM
1 word.

Gators.

(But then you'll have to find a way to get rid of those)

smokehound
08-08-2011, 06:57 PM
(1) Painted turtle (Chrysemys picta): Limit: No limit.
(2) Slider Turtle (Pseudemys (Trachemys) scripta): Limit: No limit.
(3) Spiny softshell turtle (Trionyx spiniferus): Limit: No limit.

crimp the barbs on your hooks and go nuts. Turtles all love fresh shrimp.

Cucumbers, Chicken, and Shrimp are loved by red-eared sliders and painted turtles, while softshells are carnivores.

DarkShadow
08-08-2011, 07:23 PM
And they taste good too.

old pudd fisher
08-08-2011, 07:26 PM
Soup time.

DockRat
08-11-2011, 06:22 AM
Man I've seen a few here and there in the past, but now, they're everywhere. Any input on the best way to remove turtle's from a pond with out killing them? Bastard's are mean too.

I saw one in the LA River. That thing took off and looked like a Bonito wake.
DR

LGHT
08-11-2011, 01:32 PM
I was wondering if you could keep / kill a turtle. I was fishing for catfish a month or so ago laguna lake in Fullerton and ended up catching 2, but I just cut the line and let them go. I guy said you couldn't kill them however another kid said you can keep them as pets and was carrying one around. I couldn't get much fishing done because the turtles kept eating the bait!

white belt
08-11-2011, 01:43 PM
If you cut the line with the hook in their mouth, will they die? I had to do that at Legg a long time ago and I've always wondered if it died or not.

LGHT
08-11-2011, 03:08 PM
I always thought the hook would eventually just rust away and fall off so I just cut the line, but I may be wrong.

DarkShadow
08-11-2011, 03:14 PM
No need to cut the hooks. No need to toss anything back that you can butcher and eat!

Just keep them and make some tasty sopa:

Ingredients

1 1/2 pound turtle meat
2 3/4 teaspoon salt, in all
3/4 teaspoon cayenne, in all
6 cups water
1 stick butter
1/2 cup flour
1 1/2 cup chopped onions
2 tablespoons minced shallots
1/4 cup chopped bell peppers
1/4 cup chopped celery
3 bay leaves
1/2 teaspoon dried leaf thyme
2 tablespoons minced garlic
1 cup chopped tomatoes
1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup dry sherry
1/4 cup chopped parsley
1/2 cup chopped green onions
4 hard boiled eggs, finely chopped
2 tablespoons chopped green onions
2 tablespoons chopped hard boiled eggs

Directions
Catch a few turtles. Um, cut them up. Put the turtle meat in a large saucepan with 1 teaspoon of salt, 1/4 teaspoon cayenne and the water. Bring to a boil. Skim off any foam that rises to the top. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 20 minutes. With a slotted spoon transfer the meat to a platter. Cut the meat into 1/2 inch dice and reserve the liquid. In another large sauce pan, combine the butter and flour over medium heat, stirring constantly for 6 to 8 minutes to make a dark roux. Add the onions, shallots, bell peppers and celery. Stir occasionally and cook for 2 to 3 minutes until the vegetables are slightly tender. Add the bay leaves, thyme and garlic, cook for 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes and the turtle meat. Cook for 5 to 6 minutes stirring occasionally. Add the Worcestershire sauce, the remaining salt and cayenne, the turtle stock (about 6 cups) lemon juice, and sherry. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the parsley, green onions, and eggs and simmer for 45 minutes. Garnish with green onions and chopped eggs.

smokehound
08-11-2011, 08:28 PM
I was wondering if you could keep / kill a turtle. I was fishing for catfish a month or so ago laguna lake in Fullerton and ended up catching 2, but I just cut the line and let them go. I guy said you couldn't kill them however another kid said you can keep them as pets and was carrying one around. I couldn't get much fishing done because the turtles kept eating the bait!Only native turtles have restrictions and bag limits. Painted Turtles, Softshell Turtles, and Red-eared/yellow eared sliders are invasive turtles, and have no limits. raw chicken is a good bait for turtles.

Our mild winter seemed to give them a jump-start on brooding.