PDA

View Full Version : Those who went to Irvine yesterday...

want2fishmore
08-07-2011, 07:28 PM
...whether in the tournament or not, how did you do? I went and fished from 5pm - closing. Managed 2 stocker cats way back in the flats. First catch at 10:15, second one at 11:10. During the daylight, went to the submerged trees at the West Shore and the Flats. Got intimidated by all that underwater growth that I didn't even consider throwing out a line around those areas. Do you guys actually throw a line into all that stuff? Seems like it's throw out the line and don't even make an attempt to reel it back in. Serious question because I seriously don't know.

Hitts0n
08-07-2011, 09:11 PM
Its funny cuss you throw into the brush and not in the salad.Or you find areas where there's trees and holes under the trees.
The catfish are hiding under structure,in areas where you really dont want to throw your lines.
Thats why we go out there with at least 15 lb test or more.I wasnt there yesterday,but there on a
normal basis.But the catfish also hold in pockets.....but since the water is up,it threw me way off....

want2fishmore
08-07-2011, 09:38 PM
Its funny cuss you throw into the brush and not in the salad.Or you find areas where there's trees and holes under the trees.
The catfish are hiding under structure,in areas where you really dont want to throw your lines.
Thats why we go out there with at least 15 lb test or more.I wasnt there yesterday,but there on a
normal basis.But the catfish also hold in pockets.....but since the water is up,it threw me way off....

Thanks HittsOn for your response. The vegetation, at least in my opinion, was insane. I thought about throwing a line was into the submerged trees and vegetation, but...if fish was on, I know I would definitely not be able to get the fish out. By going through all that vegetation, the propeller got so stuck and the motor would not start, Jerry had to end up pulling me back in. I'm telling you, there were underwater algae clumps that resembled algae jellyfish.

casting call
08-07-2011, 11:16 PM
Heavy line and using saltwater gear seems to be whats working. I was talking to a couple guys at the cleaning station who limited out and they told me they were using 50 lb + SpiderWire to muscle them in from the structure. Using such heavy line, I cant see casting very far at all using chunks of mack and even less distance fly lining shrimp. I suppose you could drop shot it though.

I myself was using 10 lb and lost 6 in structure. From where my line would break off, I estimate about on average another five yards of my line frayed really bad from the sunken trees. I didnt cast into the middle of the thicket, but just outside of it.

karalm
08-08-2011, 07:54 AM
Want2fish,
Did you get stuck by the west side of Trout Island??
Just offshore is a real density of weeds that lock up a prop faster then you can get out if going slow. Watch out people as the temp goes up and the water drops in the lake, the grass and algee are growing big time!!

Hitts0n
08-08-2011, 08:02 PM
Thanks HittsOn for your response. The vegetation, at least in my opinion, was insane. I thought about throwing a line was into the submerged trees and vegetation, but...if fish was on, I know I would definitely not be able to get the fish out. By going through all that vegetation, the propeller got so stuck and the motor would not start, Jerry had to end up pulling me back in. I'm telling you, there were underwater algae clumps that resembled algae jellyfish.

Yeah stay away from the grass n weeds.Stick to trees n brush.Try the westshore coves.
Fish in areas where bugs and spiders are falling out of the trees.Fish were u see bait swimming in
groups =) Fish where there's less noise......fresh bait.....and maybe try some night crawlers on 1 pole.
Pm me and i'll tell you a lil secret of mines.....

BLUE WAGON
08-08-2011, 08:32 PM
fishfinder showing 4 foot deep 3 1/2feet of it was grass,, what a mess. be carefull after dark you will get hung up in it.

want2fishmore
08-08-2011, 11:05 PM
Heavy line and using saltwater gear seems to be whats working. I was talking to a couple guys at the cleaning station who limited out and they told me they were using 50 lb + SpiderWire to muscle them in from the structure. Using such heavy line, I cant see casting very far at all using chunks of mack and even less distance fly lining shrimp. I suppose you could drop shot it though.

I myself was using 10 lb and lost 6 in structure. From where my line would break off, I estimate about on average another five yards of my line frayed really bad from the sunken trees. I didnt cast into the middle of the thicket, but just outside of it.

50lb, DAYUM! I was fishing with 10lb and 6lb. I had a reel spooled with 15lb Yozuri Hybrid, but I didn't bust that out since I didn't fish the structures or submerged areas. I caught the 2 stockers on the 6lb.

Want2fish,
Just offshore is a real density of weeds that lock up a prop faster then you can get out if going slow. Watch out people as the temp goes up and the water drops in the lake, the grass and algee are growing big time!!

I did get stuck during daylight between the West Shore and the Boat Dock, closer to the boat dock. Motor wouldn't start so I called the tackle shop on my cell. The guy who answered told me to full throttle it while in neutral. It worked that time, but not later while back in the flats.

Yeah stay away from the grass n weeds.Stick to trees n brush.Try the westshore coves.
Fish in areas where bugs and spiders are falling out of the trees.Fish were u see bait swimming in
groups =) Fish where there's less noise......fresh bait.....and maybe try some night crawlers on 1 pole.
Pm me and i'll tell you a lil secret of mines.....

I'll try that the next time Hitts. Expect a pm soon;) I'm on a mission to ending this catfish season with a DD!:)

hooks
08-09-2011, 08:58 AM
Want2fish,

I got stuck next to the boat ramp on friday night. By the time I was able to pull my boat out, I had about 50 pounds of lake salad stuck to my prop. With the water level dropping and the lake blooming, shallow water fishing ALL around the lake is beginning to suffer.
tight lines..

smokehound
08-09-2011, 10:37 PM
Dang they should allow kayaks.. perfect boat for those conditions.. would save you from alot of headaches!

hooks
08-10-2011, 01:32 PM
Dang they should allow kayaks.. perfect boat for those conditions.. would save you from alot of headaches!

They do, don't they? I've seen many?

smokehound
08-10-2011, 05:37 PM
They do, don't they? I've seen many?I dunno I havent been there for a while. :LOL:

troutdog
08-11-2011, 12:46 AM
I dunno I havent been there for a while. :LOL:

Yeah weeks can seem like an eternity..... :LOL:

TD