PDA

View Full Version : Cabrillo Beach San Pedro, CA 08-06-11

jerr-dog
08-07-2011, 06:41 PM
Hey everyone had a blast at Cabrillo Beach yesterday on the kayak & thought I would do a quick report. Again no pics but I dont think my old Nikon 5200 is waterproof :Embarrassed: Anyway went with a friend & got on the water by 7am no wind water semi clear we stuck within the HUGE break wall they have there & were off to the San Pedro Bait Co to get some live bait for my buddie. I brought some grunion for bait that I caught a week prior at the beach. He got some anchovies & sardines with what they call a kayak scoop for 10 bucks & it's alot of bait if you compare it to the 4-5 bucks a pound of the frozen stuff that they sell off the pier:EyePop:. So we are out there till 3:30pm so had no concept of what time everything took place but Tom caught 2 sand bass. When the current start to pick up & the wind begain to drift us out almost immediately after I dropped my line & dont know if I got bit on the downfall or if it hit the bottom or landed on butt but Zoom. Brought it in rather quick but I was very pleased to see my first Halibut! :Big Grin: got it on the yak but dont have a hatch to put my catch in. Was legal it had to be 24-25 inches at least but wanted to make sure. Didn't even think about my net cause I was sooo excited. Poped the hatch on my buddies Hobie went to grab the fish by the line & as I looked over Tom was in the process of removing the hook from it's mouth I don't know why cause I hadn't measured it yet. Wanted to have the hatch ready well needless to say before I could measure the beast off came the hook flop, flop went the fish & over the side :Rolls Eyes: Man my first butt & didn't even get a chance to measure it let alone keep it. also caught another fish off a grunion but wasn't able to Id it released. On the way back in we were working against the current must have taken an hour at least to get back to the shore. buddie got another halibut on the way back in & it was 34 inches. He was able to take a pic from his camera once we got back in but can't figure out how to transfer the pick from my phone to my computer. If I fig it out hopefully I can edit this & add the pic in. Anyway had a great time & have ALOT of leftover bait (not live anymore :LOL:) from Tom that I froze & will have for some time. none of that will go to waste. Thanks for your time & enjoy the rest of your evening.
Jerr-dog
1 Halibut (Got Away but landed it)
1 ? unable to I.D
Tom
2 San Bass
1 Halibut

Hometown
08-07-2011, 07:05 PM
nice report sorry about the lost Hali use a net next time

Hey everyone had a blast at Cabrillo Beach yesterday on the kayak & thought I would do a quick report. Again no pics but I dont think my old Nikon 5200 is waterproof :Embarrassed: Anyway went with a friend & got on the water by 7am no wind water semi clear we stuck within the HUGE break wall they have there & were off to the San Pedro Bait Co to get some live bait for my buddie. I brought some grunion for bait that I caught a week prior at the beach. He got some anchovies & sardines with what they call a kayak scoop for 10 bucks & it's alot of bait if you compare it to the 4-5 bucks a pound of the frozen stuff that they sell off the pier:EyePop:. So we are out there till 3:30pm so had no concept of what time everything took place but Tom caught 2 sand bass. When the current start to pick up & the wind begain to drift us out almost immediately after I dropped my line & dont know if I got bit on the downfall or if it hit the bottom or landed on butt but Zoom. Brought it in rather quick but I was very pleased to see my first Halibut! :Big Grin: got it on the yak but dont have a hatch to put my catch in. Was legal it had to be 24-25 inches at least but wanted to make sure. Didn't even think about my net cause I was sooo excited. Poped the hatch on my buddies Hobie went to grab the fish by the line & as I looked over Tom was in the process of removing the hook from it's mouth I don't know why cause I hadn't measured it yet. Wanted to have the hatch ready well needless to say before I could measure the beast off came the hook flop, flop went the fish & over the side :Rolls Eyes: Man my first butt & didn't even get a chance to measure it let alone keep it. also caught another fish off a grunion but wasn't able to Id it released. On the way back in we were working against the current must have taken an hour at least to get back to the shore. buddie got another halibut on the way back in & it was 34 inches. He was able to take a pic from his camera once we got back in but can't figure out how to transfer the pick from my phone to my computer. If I fig it out hopefully I can edit this & add the pic in. Anyway had a great time & have ALOT of leftover bait (not live anymore :LOL:) from Tom that I froze & will have for some time. none of that will go to waste. Thanks for your time & enjoy the rest of your evening.
Jerr-dog
1 Halibut (Got Away but landed it)
1 ? unable to I.D
Tom
2 San Bass
1 Halibut

fishshep
08-07-2011, 08:25 PM
:Big Grin: wow !!! 34in is one good catch !!!

Not to mention eating :Big Grin:

You will get your make up Hali

soon I am sure !!! :Smile:

DockRat
08-08-2011, 06:12 AM
wtb ON THE hALI'S.

nice report sorry about the lost Hali use a net next time

Not to mention that State LaWS REQUIRES ANYBODY FISHING ON A VESSEL MUST HAVE A NET.
dr

jerr-dog
08-08-2011, 11:59 AM
Yhea I had a net on-board but got a little too excited I guess & forgot. thanks guys. Rookie mistake.

Jaysuuun
08-08-2011, 10:51 PM
Not to mention that State LaWS REQUIRES ANYBODY FISHING ON A VESSEL MUST HAVE A NET.
dr

Just curious, but why does the state law "require" a net on a vessel? :Confused:

Nipple Twister
08-09-2011, 07:54 AM
I believe it is so you don't harm the fish, that you might have to release, after getting it on board and not doing so by pulling it up by the hook from the water to the boat, freeboard.

oakboy
08-09-2011, 10:55 AM
In addition to NT, i think so you dont unnecesarily handle or gaff any fish that may be undersized or protected also. Great report by the way!

<><
KP

DockRat
08-10-2011, 05:58 AM
Yes, you guys are right. It is to protect undersized species.
Finger in the gill for a pic is a no no. People should carry a net on the rocks too.
I've seen guys drop short Halibut into the rocks to be crab food. Short Halibut and WSB flopping on the barnacles on the rocks as guys try to unhook them, then take a pic.

Cuts can become infections, then the fish dies,
Yackers need a net or you can get a ticket.
Seen a bunch of C&R fishermen online mishandle fish, many will die,
But they still get that warm and fuzzy feeling thinking they did the right thing. Lol
Min 18' opening, State Law.
DR