PDA

View Full Version : 8-7-11 First LC Halibut

CaliButts
08-07-2011, 01:42 PM
Was planning on catching my first dropshot halibut today in the LB surf. Got there early and fished for a couple of hours for the big "0". Seeing how this was my first attempt at it we can probably figure the lack of action was user error... :Confused:

Decided to try another spot so I made a move south to the OC. Not ready to give up on the dropshot I tried another plastic and gave it a go.....

An hour later I figured this dropshot thing might not be for me.

Not ready to go home yet, so I tied on an LC and worked the same area I was stinking up with the dropshot. Ten minutes later I was rewarded with this ...

http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd500/CaliButts/8-7-11_1stLCB_1.jpg

My first Halibut on the LC. :Cool: I knew he was short but taped him out just to be sure by how much.

http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd500/CaliButts/8-7-11_1stLCB_2.jpg

Looks to be about 19 1/2" to me.

With the dreaded "Skunk" off my back I continued working my way up the beach and hooked into another.

http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd500/CaliButts/8-7-11_2ndLCB.jpg

About the same size as the first. Fished another 45min or so and called it a day. Not the first I was planning but a first none the less. :Cool:

fishincrave
08-07-2011, 02:00 PM
nice going you stuck with it and it payed off for you.
Most of the time change is good if one lure is not producing let it be user error or whatever it is .

Sean

Which Way Out
08-07-2011, 02:12 PM
Can't lose with the LC's. Tried and tested by fellow SWAT members to work 99.0% of the time.:Razz:

Congrats and tnx for posting your catch. Fun aren't they?

murrieta angler
08-07-2011, 03:48 PM
Howdy Calibutts,
Congrats on your first, of many, butts from the surf.
Thanks for the report and pics,
Robert
<><

fishshep
08-07-2011, 05:22 PM
good goin !!! :Smile:

persistance paid off !!!

n1ckxlam
08-07-2011, 05:48 PM
well done!

CaliButts
08-07-2011, 06:56 PM
Thanks guys! Really enjoy the reports on this site and hope to contribute more of my own. Will be starting my next outing slinging that LC out there first! :Twisted:

GETBIT!
08-07-2011, 08:59 PM
Rad,Verry Nice

Jaysuuun
08-07-2011, 09:16 PM
Congrats on your first butts.

RiverWalker
08-08-2011, 05:16 PM
Congrats on the surf Butts! How do you like your Clarus? I just picked one up because it was 40% off at turners. The only problem I habe is that I was looking for at least a 7' 6 rod but settled fire a 7 footer. Medium light fast action.

CaliButts
08-08-2011, 07:50 PM
Riverwalker,
I'm really liking my Clarus. It's the 8 1/2ft medium light. I picked up on sale as well a couple months ago at Sport Chalet. I pair it up with my 2500 symetre when throwing lures or a C-rig. It also balances out well with my Coronado CD40 when I feel like fishing live bait. :Cool: Hope this helps.

RiverWalker
08-08-2011, 10:05 PM
Thanks CB.

You have the ideal length I was looking for. I settled with the 7 footer because that was the longest they had. I read good reviews on the clarus but have yet to break it out. I'm pretty much going to use it to throw LC's and Big hammers. Seems to have a good back bone with good sensitivity. Just trying to decide what reel to buy. Or I might just use an my sedona 2500 I have laying in the garage. Probably would work fine. Thanks for the info...

bones
08-10-2011, 07:54 PM
Nice job in LB there buddy. Funny how things worked out for you. I've never done well either on the DS or the LC attack in LB. I usually do better slow rolling krocks along the bottom! Sometimes when I attack with an LC and it's not working I go back over the same area on the walk back with a DS setup but I've never had it work the other way. LB and it's constantly calm waters is definately a "Different" area to say the least!
Good job once again sliding some hali's up on the sand!
Keep up the good work!

flyngby
08-12-2011, 08:54 PM
Congrats!

The LC'S work when they are agressive but don't give up on the drop shot yet! "Bones" produces some nice reports when they are finiky and want to see a slower presentation but will go the the LC when they start to attack in most AO's but Long Beach also try the Crock like he suggested!

Steve http://planetsmilies.net/person-smiley-1122.gif

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z286/flyngby/Keylime.jpg

CaliButts
08-13-2011, 07:32 PM
Thanks for info guys! Will give the crock a try next time as well!:Cool:

SP Dan
08-13-2011, 09:36 PM
Congratulations on your first LC Hali. Great report! See you in the trenches!
SP Dan <"))><

Jeremy Wade Jr
08-14-2011, 03:31 PM
Nice catch! I bought the same LC so I can give surf fishing a try, then realized I don't know a damn thing about surf fishing... :Crying:

I hate to sound like a complete noob, just curious to those who fish the 110SP, do you just throw the LC past the waves then reel it in right away or do you let the waves play with it a little?

also do you wade when you fish? I was fishing for mackerel with my buddy at Balboa yesterday and couldn't imagine wading through those waters.. waves were pretty huge, also it was dark, just curious if fishing at night is less productive at all.. I really want to catch anything that isn't a mackerel when I ocean fish for a change. :Confused:

Appreciate any incite if possible!

CaliButts
08-14-2011, 06:43 PM
Jeremy,
You might want to post your questions in the general forum thread. You'll probably get more and better responses than from me. I'm a bit of a newb to surf fishing myself. I've done plenty of fishing from jetties and sheltered water and even kayak fishing but never really fished for halibut in the surf till recently.
As to your questions, I prefer to get the lure down as quick as possible. As soon as it touches down I give it a good pull to get the lure down and swimming. Lots of guys on the site wade when fishing but I kinda like working right from the waters edge but I think it really depends on the beach. The areas I like to fish tend to be more of a shore pound. If there was a long area of shallows I think I would be wading. Hope this helps.