PDA

View Full Version : report stturday 8-5-11

kutz
08-07-2011, 09:47 AM
My Dad and I took a friend with us Saturday am, The last time the three of us went together (back in April I think) our friend fell over board at the dock, it turned into fodder for to many wise cracks, and jabs, so of course I couldn't resist asking him if he brought his swimming suit with him. Well Karma was definitely out to get me yesterday. Fishing started well we all were catching bass with a scrounger 1/4 oz with the blade clipped off about half way, and a clear with black flake fluke (sorry I don't recall the exact brand) along with 4 1/2 inch flat tail robo colors: morning dawn, orange crush, and oxblood with red flake. It was crowded fishing three from our boat. and tempers were strained especially mine. After an insignificant comment (one that really shouldn't have bothered me) Karma made it's move. I threw my DS rig on to the front deck, and in slow motion I watched the rig take wrong bounce after wrong bounce, and then over the side, well before it was completely submerged I went in head first after it. I saved the rig, but now I'm the one providing fodder for all the jokes. I don't mind since I didn't loose the rig. Any way the scrounger caught the biggest fish only 2.5 lb, and the Oxblood really was the color for dinks to 1.5 lb fish, I don't want to put out the number of fish we put in the boat because we really lost count, and more were dinks then legal. The bite was real good early am, slacking off when the wind first picked up about 10am and came back with a vengeance around noon, but the wind continued to harass us so we called it a day around 1:30. Great day, Karma and all.

HawgStalker
08-07-2011, 10:26 AM
Good save! I wouldnt hesitate to jump in either bro...

kutz
08-07-2011, 10:48 PM
I'm going out next Sat. This weekend I saw a few surface rolls, but nothing like last Sunday, the weather looked great this weekend, and we did catch a lot of fish, but the majority were dinks. The depth finder showed bigger fish suspended above structure, but the structure was 10-20 feet above the bottom which was around 30-40 feet. After the wind picked up, we found them gathering up on the points behind the wind, but still not really biting. Finally we were forced to drift with the wind casting DS almost to the bank, in front of the boat and wind, bouncing the weight down the bank until the line was perpendicular to us, then realing in quickly to avoid a snag. This really worked well. I used a 3/8 oz tear drop weight only about 1.5 feet from the hook with the 4 1/2 inch ox blood red flake straight tail robo worm. If anyone wants to make suggestions on how to be productive with the suspended fish mentioned above I would be grateful. We did use scroungers with a real slow retrieve but the number of fish we caught on the scrounger wasn't enough to keep my ADD in control. Dad and I will be alone so it won’t be so crowded, more casting will be easier, if anyone has had luck with hard cranks/swim baits on bigger fish it would be great to hear about, so far DS and TX rigs; points, and banks, with robos have been all we've been productive with. Hope for aggressive fish!