PDA

View Full Version : New Melones Lake (Kalifornistan) August 4,5 + trying my new Raymarine S1000 outopilot

FishWisher
08-06-2011, 08:24 AM
After installing a new Raymarine autopilot on my C-Dory, I was anxious to head for New Melones Lake (in the Kalifornistan Gold Country foothills) for some kokanee fishing. I read the report from Glory Hole Store near the lake that trout fishing was slow and kokanee was fair to slow. As a fair to slow fisherman, that sounded like a pretty good match.

I trolled the lake from about 1330 to 1800 for zilch, then headed to Angels Cove to anchor for the night. It was a splendid anchorage there among the moored houseboats, and I dropped a line baited for trout over each side of the boat, and added an underwater light after sundown, and waited. It was a long wait and I never got a bite the whole night long. Sure enough, fishing was slow.

I was trolling a bit before 0600 on the morning of Day 2, at first rigged for trout at about 5 to 50 feet, and a bit later reeled in and rigged for kokanee. I trolled a purple hoochy with a purple dodger at 80', and a green dodger and wedding ring at about 70'. It continued to be a slow morning 'til I reached the bay that leads to the dam, where I was to meet the single dumbest fish in the lake - not unusual for me. I have often settled for the single dumbest one, but if I had to do so this trip, at least it would be the one I would have chosen.

I had just passed the yellow buoy, approaching the dam, when finally a line popped loose at 80' (the purple hoochie) and I had a kokanee on! I reeled in a gorgeous male 16 inches long and weighed 1¼ Lbs. He was beginning a hooked jaw and had just a hint of pink color along his body. I believe he was the biggest kokanee I've ever caught - and he made the whole trip worthwhile!

I continued trolling for another hour or so, then reeled in and headed for the ramp around 0900. While I was delighted with my catch, I didn't want to spend another hot day on the water for such slow fishing. And having read all the good kokanee fishermen's reports of limits so easily, I am humbled to admit all this effort for one fish - but they do call me FishWisher!

I saw perhaps a dozen other fellas fishing over the two days I was there, so most guys have read the report of slow fishing and fished elsewhere, I guess. But for me, that one kokanee gave me a memorable trip!

Lots of photos and more story on my homepage at: http://tinyurl.com/3n2wdvd (Mods: Just my photos and stories, nothing for sale, no forums, no advertising.)

Dale

JAG107
08-13-2011, 09:13 PM
Thanks for the report, congrats on the PB koke!